PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up Populist?

Penguin
10-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Bwahahahaha. Bucky's post on a different thread about how we are hopelessly divided came up about the same time as I came across a study that claims the opposite. They claim there is a vibrant center that is being forced into camps that they don't really agree with a whole lot.

Anywho the you can take the poll here. It is pretty long, maybe 10 minutes. But it is pretty interesting. I was surprised that I came in as a "Pick-up Populist" and that this means I worry a good bit about the economy becoming more and more unfair. I was surprised that they got that part right from the questions. Plus Pick-up Populist sounds pretty cool. :)

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/15/20977799-quiz-are-you-a-member-of-the-new-american-center

Penguin
10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Oops. I put up the link to the poll but there is a story as well:

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/15/20960588-the-new-american-center-why-our-nation-isnt-as-divided-as-we-think?lite

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I always had you pegged as a populist. Sort of like a modern day Wooody Guthrie.

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
My "rule of thumb" definitions:

Populist - One who believes Government should intervene in Social and Civil realms.

Liberal - One who believes Government should intervene in Civil realms but not Social ones.

Conservative - One who believes that Government should intervene in Social realms but not Civil ones.

Libertarian - One who believes that Government should not intervene in either realm.

Penguin
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Only without the poetic and musical talent... and guitar. :)

I hate to admit it, but I had no ~real~ idea who Woodie Guthrie was until I watched this PBS special on the dust bowl. Gave me a whole lot of appreciation for what the folks who lived out there went through. The reality that those folks faced was something that we probably just can't comprehend. No idea how half of them didn't starve.

Will

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I almost joined Posthole's Chinese Anti-Defamation And Apathy Party once.

But the dues were too high and the meetings too far away.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2013, 04:51 PM
the dang thing called me a name. Bleeding heart is what it said.

BKB

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 04:53 PM
You are. I never knew but one intelligent guy worse. The two of you are the total universe I know of, in that camp, though.

You're so special.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Well,, I appreciate that. Only just remember that when you say liberals all want the government to take care of everyone, know that I don't want that nor think it's necessary. And when you say liberals want a bigger government to run everything, know I don't believe that. And when you say liberals are baby killers, I ain't one of those neither.

If you wanna call me a bleeding heart, then you can I guess though now that its been sanctioned by NBC.

BKB

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Keith Olberman would love you.

Captain
10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
This is my results.
I know it will come as a shock to y'all.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I got the same result, Larke. Kind of interesting as I neither read, listen or watch any opinion commentary.

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I hate Talk Radio Heads. Won't listen to a one of 'em.

But they said I was one of 'em.

Idiots.

Many questions did not include the answer I would have liked to have given. Typical of most polls.

Captain
10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I hate Talk Radio Heads. Won't listen to a one of 'em.
So that is your way of saying you don't like Hank and Me??

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
I love bofya.

I don't like O'Reilly and Hannity and Greta and such. Just jibber jabber. It's not enough to be 'right'. It's not enough to be 'correct'. There's more than that. You have to be tolerable, acceptable. I hate elitists and ego more than any other trait. I don't care if you are right, you MUST be humble..........at least to me. That's just me, not everyone. But it's how I deal with stuff. If your head is so far above mine that I can't hear you well, it doesn't matter how much truth you spout.

Doesn't mean you can shout stupidity in my ear. It means I don't want either one.