PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll come on down, this weekend!!!....

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 09:14 AM
World Hot Tamale Festival----Greenville, MS----Hot Tamale Capital of the World.

You will NOT leave hungry!!!

Doe's Eat Place(that's the real name) has been in the tamale and steak business for years, but have been getting a lot of competition in recent years.
Shamoon's Tamales and The Corner Market have some great ones, too.

This article, written by a farm kid, Mark Stowers, grew up less than three miles from me....he's now a contributing columnist for a whole bunch of newspapers:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131018/COL1003/131018006/Greenville-Hot-Tamale-Capital-?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cp&nclick_check=1

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
There ain't much better than a good home made tamale. Pork ones are my favorites. And like Bucky, I put ketchup on mine. And lots of blood pressure medicine.
BKB

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I drown mine in ketchup, too....and, a little mayo, too, if they are really spicy....mayo sorta staves off the heat. ;)

Thumper
10-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Man-o-man, tamales are one of my all-time favorite foods! But KETCHUP???? WTF? It's getting to the point I'm embarrassed to hang with you bozos! Sheeeesh!

Loooozianna "style" hot sauce ... the only way to go. KETCHUP! What's this world coming to?

FYI ... we keep a BIG bottle of this stuff (42oz) in the fridge at all times ... with a spare on stand-by at all times. It's cheap, available EVERYWHERE (even Wally-World I think) and is great on tamales.

Ketchup! GAWD!!!

http://texas-wholesale.com/images/products/42015%20-2939-VALENTINA-HOT-SAUCE-34oz-.jpg

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 10:00 AM

"I don't always eat hot sauce, but when I do, it's CRYSTAL"

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Okay, aside from my homemade sauce, which gets better by the year, here's my top five hot sauces. Yeah, /I have at least five in the fridge at any given time. I'm kind of addicted to hot sauce.

1. Cholula Lime
2. Yucatan Valley Habanero
3. Louisiana Hot Sauce
4. Franks Red Hot Cayenne
5. Crystals

BKB

Buckrub
10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
YOU PUT KETCHUP ON TAMALES???

THAT'S SACRALIGIOUS.

UGH.

P.S.
I ain't going to Doe's in Greenville unless you accompany me......with visible automatic weapon.

Thumper
10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
I used to spend about two weekends per month on the beaches of Mexico (usually Rosarito or many times Ensenada). There was a little bakery in Rosarito where I'd stop in and get a couple dozen tamales. Then I'd grab a cooler full of iced down Corona's and head for the beach. I'd sit and eat tamales and drink Coronas until I was ready to pop! Damn they were good.

In the States ... if you're ever around Pecos, Texas ... you HAVE to take a short detour off the Interstate into town to the "La Nortena" Tortilla Factory on 3rd Street. They have the best tamales known to man! It's a family run business that's been there forever. Actually, this pic is the OLD location. The last time I was there, they'd moved right across the street into a larger building.

http://frankhardyphoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/tortilla-factory-_adj_sfw_4-mar-11.jpg

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Phole, I only have one comment about your homemade hot sauce...."""THAT SHEEIT IS HOT""" !!!!!!! ;)

BTW, it will remove tar from your fenders and grill guards. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Bucky I put ketchup on my tacos too. And scrambled eggs, and corn bread, and hamburgers.

but never steak. that's just going too far.

BKB

Thumper
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm with you Postie ... we prolly have 6-8 different hot sauces at any given time. Then there's the various Thai sauces as well as good ol' Tobasco. Tobasco is the ONLY thing I'll eat on tacos.

Thumper
10-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I have to walk away. Youse dufes are an embarrassment. :banghead

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Phole, did I ever tell ya about my fat church lady friend???....BIG woman, who always brags about nobody makes anything too hot and spicy for her....even brings her own hot sauce to our church suppers.

I took about a half ounce of your homemade stuff to her, one night at our church meal....she poured it all on her chicken spaghetti.

I've NEVER seen a fat lady sweat that much, but she held it down....however, she never asked me for any more of it. ;)

Thumper
10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I was sittin' at P-hole's kitchen table once and he gave me a bottle of that stuff. Once I got it home, I think it lasted about a month ... maybe two at the most. I can sure as hell go through some hot sauce!

Buckrub
10-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Posthole, other threads and comments you have made here are...........um........hypocritical at best. But lambasting me for using ketchup on anything, after THAT post, is...........well.......Major League Class A XXXL Hypocrisy.

I say "Harrumph" and also "Balderdash and Poppycock", and walk off.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm actually not a big tamale fan. I like the filling, but the steamed masa doesn't do much for me. When it comes to hot sauce, I usually keep a bottle of Crystal of Cholula in the fridge. Generally, there's a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the cubboard waiting for a batch of wings. (While I like them hotter, the rest of the family prefers something a little milder.) Speaking of wings, can any body recommend an off the shelf Mango/Habanero wing saue? I had some of them at Buffalo Wild Wings a while back and would like to make them at home.

Buckrub
10-18-2013, 10:30 AM
They hypocrisy of it all.

A second "Harrumph"

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Posthole, other threads and comments you have made here are...........um........hypocritical at best. But lambasting me for using ketchup on anything, after THAT post, is...........well.......Major League Class A XXXL Hypocrisy.

I say "Harrumph" and also "Balderdash and Poppycock", and walk off.

Yeah, but NOT on a frigging steak!!!!!!

Buckrub
10-18-2013, 10:32 AM
^^^^^^^

Thumper
10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
CD quote;

Generally, there's a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the cubboard waiting for a batch of wings.

That's my absolutely, no question, number one favorite wing sauce. I dump a bottle of Tiger Sauce into a bowl, dump in the wings, cover the bowl and shake to completely cover the wings. DAMN ... I'm drooling just thinking about it! Sure, I like "hot sauce" too and will eat most any "hot wing", but the Tiger Sauce will always be my favorite. On super hot wings, I like to eat 'em dipped in Bleu Cheese dressing.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I actually have to give you credit for the original recommendation, Jimbo.

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 10:39 AM
CD, I use this Bobby Flay recipe, only I roast the habaneros in a little cast iron egg skillet I have to take some of the heat of them before I add them to the sauce. It can get flaming hot if you don't. The store bought I tried when I went searching for a recipe was some kind of off the shelf brand I can't even remember. It had too much sugar in it and burnt too easy though is why I went searching for a better recipe. The honey works better than the HFCS that was in the store bought brand.
BKB

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 habanero, chopped
2-4 tablespoons honey, (depending on the sweetness & ripeness of the mango)
1 cup white wine vinegar
Salt
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add mangoes and habanero and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the honey and vinegar and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water. Strain mixture through a strainer set over a small bowl; season with salt.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks Posty! I love me some Bobby Flay. I ate at his place, Mesa I think it is, when I was out in Vegas last fall. Good stuff.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Can someone move this to the Recipe section so we don't lose it?

CD, I use this Bobby Flay recipe, only I roast the habaneros in a little cast iron egg skillet I have to take some of the heat of them before I add them to the sauce. It can get flaming hot if you don't. The store bought I tried when I went searching for a recipe was some kind of off the shelf brand I can't even remember. It had too much sugar in it and burnt too easy though is why I went searching for a better recipe. The honey works better than the HFCS that was in the store bought brand.
BKB

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 habanero, chopped
2-4 tablespoons honey, (depending on the sweetness & ripeness of the mango)
1 cup white wine vinegar
Salt
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add mangoes and habanero and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the honey and vinegar and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water. Strain mixture through a strainer set over a small bowl; season with salt.

quercus alba
10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
My wife had a little old mexican lady teach her how to make tamales. Plus she makes her own picante sauce. Home made egg rolls too. Plus home-made bread and rolls and Cinnamon rolls. and yeast bread donuts. and hot water cornbread. She hates processed foods and she makes nearly everything from scratch. Any wonder why i'm fat?

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I grew up eating the same food as you QA, but I don't know what hot water corn bread is. what the heck is it?

BKB

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Oh my goodness, Phole, turn in your redneck card, if you really dont know what hot water cornbread is !!!

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I had to look it up. I grew up eating indian fried bread and cornbread and cathead biscuits, but I've never in my life tasted hot water cornbread.

I reckon I'll have to try it. Who ever thunk of frying cornbread?

BKB

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
My grandma rolled her's up like a fat hushpuppy.

quercus alba
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
it's not just fried cornbread, it's a sacred rite made even better by mixing sliced jalapeno in it then deep frying. goes better with greens than with peas. Maximum pot liquor absorbing ability

LW
10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I do love me some of Does Eat Place tamales. Love to pull in to Does in Tulsa when a Cardinals game is on. The owner loves the redbirds and always has the games on. Their steak is delicious too. Always bring a can of tamales home with me from there.

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 06:55 PM
QA, I'm gonna be needing a recipe.

BKB

quercus alba
10-18-2013, 07:21 PM
so simple even capn' could do it. I like to add a couple of tablespoons of sliced jalapenos to the mix.

remember, the moister the dough the moister the bread but it has to be firm enough to make into patties. Water has to be boiling hot, it has to cook the cornmeal before it hits the grease, so use a wooden spoon.

1 cup Cornmeal
1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Pwdr
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp. Sugar

Directions

Mix dry ingredients real well.
Add in sufficient boiling water to make stiff dough.
Make out in small round patties
deep fry.

Captain
10-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't know about that. There are 5 things to mix together, 6 if you count the water and then there's the whole deep fry thing...
Think this one is above my pay grade.
But I'll eat all day long! I do love some hot water cornbread...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner