PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Coming

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Look out Eddie, those Okies are bringing some chilly weather with them! Gonna be 40 in the AM. Time to start fighting leaves in the pool and getting out to pick up pecans.

I don't even feel the urge to hunt this year. I think its the first year since I started knowing what a feeling was. Very strange. I still wanna go harelip some fish though!

BKB

jb
10-18-2013, 11:39 AM
We heard that dreaded 4 letter word in next weeks forecast, lows at night will get into the high 20', low 30 with snow mixed with rain. Knew it was coming, just not this early.

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Our persimmon seeds almost all came up shovels this year. Sounds like yours might have too.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-18-2013, 01:06 PM
They are calling for lows around freezing here for the middle of next week. Been hitting a high of about 60 for the past several days and cooling down to the low 40's at night.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Our 10 day out look is calling for some highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Just the opposite of you, I'm finally feeling like hunting!

Penguin
10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Got my wool gear cleaned and on standby. Bring it.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a wool camo parka that's warm as toast. Not much fun when it gets wet but works good most all the time!
BKB

DeputyDog
10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I go to work at 6 AM, and walking out to temps like we've had makes me VERY EAGER to get out hunting.

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Look out Eddie, those Okies are bringing some chilly weather with them! Gonna be 40 in the AM. Time to start fighting leaves in the pool and getting out to pick up pecans.

I don't even feel the urge to hunt this year. I think its the first year since I started knowing what a feeling was. Very strange. I still wanna go harelip some fish though!

BKB

Just got here to the lakehouse and flipped on the tv....weather guru says you beez right, gonna be in the low 40's tonite.

I checked out the heat side of my new Trane system, and it's now toasty inside.

If those Okie in-laws give me any trouble, Ill just turn off the heat....that oughta send 'em packing. ;)

Geez, dude, I hope I NEVER get over the excitement of deer season....I can't even remember when I started hunting, but at least 60 years ago. Even now, I still get the shakes, as opening day approaches. ;)

hotshot
10-18-2013, 03:01 PM
looking to get some tree time and blind time for ducks.. after tennis on Saturday.

Thumper
10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Beach and bikini weather here. Dang! The first hint of cold weather up north means the Yankee Brigade will be headed down in droves. :(

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah, enjoy it along with the 20 million Canadians and Michiganians all driving around making dents in things.

BKB

Penguin
10-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I have a wool camo parka that's warm as toast. Not much fun when it gets wet but works good most all the time!
BKB

Wool is magic baby, except for in the rain. I've seen a lot of guys wearing those poncho type wool things with the hood on them for hunting as well. Seems to be a lot of interest in ditching some of the high tech fabrics. No idea why the wind is blowing that way not. Used to be everyone was ditching the wool and buying Patagonia type stuff.

My wife smiles every time she catches me looking at the weather forecast. She knows we will soon be into cold times and I will break out the filson cruiser. She tells me that she suspects I love that coat more than I do her. She's wrong of course but it is a closer call than I would like to admit. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 04:59 PM
One of my buddys had an old Navy Surplus pair of wool bibs that I'd love to have. Wore them ice fishing. Looks like they'd be something you'd wear on the deck of a carrier. Warm as toast.

BKB

Thumper
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
They have those on eBay for under $20 P-hole. One pair has sold. The guy had it listed for $15, but ended up taking a "best offer" .. so it may have gone for $10 or so. There doesn't seem to be much interest as I only found one in the "sold" listings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=navy%20wool%20bib%20overalls&_fscr=1

jb
10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Wool is actually a living thing, it creates heat when it's wet. It get's very heavy when wet, but you'll still stay warm.
Wool is a staple in my hunting outfit., shirt, pants, socks, sweater, all worn under Goretex covering.

quercus alba
10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
how well do wool socks work?

jb
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Wool socks are a hunting tradition up here for over 150 years, and still going strong.
My secret is putting them over a moisture wicking liner sock and into a good insulated boot.
Cold feet will drive me off the stand quicker than anything, and I've found that this combo solves that problem.
The big NO/NO I've learned over the years is no cotton, cotton is not a cold weather fabric.

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Any of you guys wear panty hose, while hunting???....seems to be the in-thing, and lots of guys wear them, during cold weather.

Not for me, however....pretty sure they'd cramp my junk, too much. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
About the most I ever need is a union suit under lined jeans under coveralls. And its seldom I need insulated coveralls. Most times I can get by with just two layers. Duck hunting isabout the only really demanding weather to hunt in here.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm right with you JB on the socks. I do the same thing. Wear them over a moisture wick sock and my with good insulated boots and my feet stay comfortable sitting in a stand in pretty cold temps.

jb
10-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Eddie, maybe not pantyhose, but silk undies work well and a first layer. Just don't get caught wearing pink ones.

Tonight - Scattered Rain
Low 39°
Passing rain showers and lows in the 30s. Don't be surprised to see flakes of snow mixed in with the rain in a few spots...higher elevations...or in the Upper Peninsula where it will be a little colder.

Penguin
10-19-2013, 11:05 AM
how well do wool socks work?

I agree with everyone else, which is to say they work very well. With one caveat: You need room in the boots for them. If you put on a heavyweight sock and stick it into a boot that is already a prefect fit? You'll be much worse off than if you just put a lightweight one on your foot but had room for them. You're using the wool as insulation and I've learned that you can't compress it too much or it doesn't work as well and it also restricts the blood flow in the feet.

I like liners and make use of them if I am going to be sweating or walking up steep mountain sides, which is to say most of the time. But again I only use them in situations where the boot has room for them.

Will