PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season resolution

jb
10-18-2013, 07:35 PM
This will be my 50th deer season, and I'm sure for the past 50 years I've bought something new each time, it may have been a shirt, socks, gloves, knife, gun, boots, hat, ladder stand, compass, ground blind, binoculars, ammo or doe pee, but I've bought something.
This year I'm NOT going to buy a damn thing. I have about umteen dozen of everything mentioned above and sure don't need anything else. So, I'll make due with what I have, and just stay the heck out of any sporting goods store till the season is over.
I'll buy my Senior License over the internet so I won't be tempted by walking into the store.
That's just what I'll do, ya hear me!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 07:49 PM
JB, Ive done nearly the same thing....maybe only a few more years.

This year, I restrained myself, however, and limited it to a new shirt and a Remington LED light that clips on the bill of my hat. I needed to use the last two gift certificates from the grandkids, anyway. ;)

Captain
10-18-2013, 07:49 PM
I hear ya' JB. Sounds like a solid plan.
Why don't you load up and spend a week down south shooting some Bambi's.
Bring Doug or whoever.
Congrats on 50 years!
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
10-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Captain, that offer is always way to tempting, remembering all the great times we've spent at the farm, but here's what's happening up here now, Doug's #2 daughter is due on the 21st of this month, so he's not going anywhere for awhile, my #1 son had his second little girl three weeks ago, so grandma is busy, busy, busy. Our season opens on the 15th of next month and runs through Thanksgiving, then the Christmas Season is upon us. Thanks for the offer but it just ain't in the cards this year.
We're still looking at a trip south sometime after the new year, last year we cancelled at the last minute, but maybe we'll make it this year. If we do I hope you're home, love to see you and your beautiful wife along with your folks.
We'll keep in touch.

BarryBobPosthole
10-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I bought a new tee shirt to wear fishing. Fishing is cheaper than hunting.
BKB

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
So are hookers, but hey..........;)

Captain
10-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Tell Doug to have her wait till Tuesday the 22nd. That's my birthday! I'll be able to remember that one....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
10-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Dang JB "only" 50. I broke out the calculator and cyphered that this will be my 43rd year deer hunting. Well, that is if you count the last couple years "hunting" off of the back deck. LOL

I hope you kill Mr. Wonkyhorns this year to commemorate this milestone!

Chicken Dinner
10-19-2013, 07:43 AM
I think this is something like reaching true enlightenment for the Hindus. It's not about gear, gizmos or even killing a B&C buck. It's about truly experiencing the deer woods.

Penguin
10-19-2013, 10:57 AM
That's right Hank. I went old school for deer hunting years ago and haven't even been tempted to go back. All that buying new junk and worrying about 15 grains in bullet weight or 1/2" differences in accuracy was making hunting less enjoyable. Now I just go out and don't worry about that crap. Just like when I was a kid and didn't have matching shotgun loads in the gun half the time. More than that I didn't care. :)

Will

hotshot
10-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a great plan JB. Other than ammunition, Ihaven't bought much for myself in years. Luke got a bow this year- that he earned the $$$ for half of. A year ago, I did sell some of my old decoys to some kids at school for cheap. then decided to buy some nicer ones on sale. Worked out well.
Let's all resolve to have a great and safe season.
BTW this is my 24th season. I started at age 23(due to being saved from city-kid-dom.) Loved it ever since.