PDA

View Full Version : Time to fess' up.

Captain
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
A couple of days after Niner left and a couple of days before Arty got here to hunt I COMPLETELY tore out my rotator cuff in my right arm! I'm talking about not even able to lift it. I have not mentioned it because I wanted Atry to come on and his son to kill a deer. His son was really looking forward to the trip... I know Arty probably thought something as I did not go out fishing with them as I could not cast a rod. But I just made excuses that I need to take a nap, something I NEVER do in the daytime. I was on some heavy pain killers during his stay but never told him what was going on.
I called my surgeon (a close family friend that went to Med school with my brother) and he was out of the country till the 21st of October. So pain control was my only option till he gets back.

The bummer is I was suppose to be in DeBordieu SC right now catching them big old Redfish but had to cancel. There is NO way I could hold a 40 or 50 lb Redfish right now. And I'll probably miss out on this whole season. I'm also suppose to go to a very good opening day duck hunt with my Lawyer about November the 9th or 10th but I sure don't see how I could possibly lift a shotgun much less shoot it against my right shoulder.
Also I'm probably dead in the water for bear hunting and probably most of deer season too!
Cheryl and I are suppose to leave to go stay with friends in Nashville the 24-28th. Still hoping to do that trip as all that will be involved there will be driving.

Why could this not happen durning hay haulin' season? Sitting around the house is NOT something I can do. I'm the kind of feller if I got 20 minutes of free time I'm looking for 30 minutes worth of shit to put in it....
Anyway I'll be in the surgeon's office at 7:30 Tuesday Morning to see how bad and how long I'll be out of it. :-(

Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Day'um Cap....never had that injury, but I feel for ya Brother.

Hope your doc can fix you up, real soon.

Captain
10-18-2013, 08:41 PM
I lost my left shoulder in 97 and took 6 weeks of rehab... I'm prayin' they have made advances in this surgery now.
We will see

Captain
10-18-2013, 08:43 PM
never had that injury.
And I hope you never do....

Big Skyz
10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
To some degree I feel your pain. I had to meet with an orthopedic surgeon last Tuesday. While both my shoulder's aren't doing too well, the right is much worse than the left. However he had some good news for me. He felt that through 10 weeks of intense physical therapy that I might be able to avoid surgery. I sure hope so as I have been stressing about missing out on hunting season just like you just expressed. While in a lot of pain, I can still function to some degree. This getting older business bunch of crap I tell ya. I your get your shoulder fixed and it heals quickly. You and I might just have to do a re-hab hunt next year for the bof of us.

Thumper
10-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Cheryl and I are suppose to leave to go stay with friends in Nashville the 24-28th.

Nice guy! I drive all the way up there to see you and what do you do? Take off runnin'! I know what you're all about ... you just don't want Cheryl to see me and remind her of what all she COULD have had if she hadn't met you first! :D

Niner
10-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Damn buddy, I hate that for you. Looks like you may have to break out your .44 and handgun hunt some this year.....or go back to shooting your 25-06....left handed. :(

Holler if you need a ranch hand. I can fix water tanks and stuff. :D

Seriously though, I knew it was hurting you when I was up there.....but I was hoping it'd hold off on getting any worse if you'd baby it. Of course that's kindof hard to do when its your dominant arm. MAYBE they'll be able to fix it with some cortisone injections or somesuch and not have to operate on it. I'll be adding you to my prayer list.

Captain
10-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Yea, Yea, I know. Felt really bad about it but Cheryl's Birthday is the 27th and our Daughters is the 30th and she wanted to go see Meredith in Knoxville. And the Nashville thing just worked to go for a visit the same time.
We will be back Monday the 28th and I'll come to Charlotte to visit with ya or make some plans for later in the week.

Sunny, that a pretty depressing pep-talk there. We might need to change your Moniker. :D

Sky I sure hope mine, can be fixed with rehab. The last one my left shoulder he had to cut about 9 inches opening from the front of the shoulder to the back. It was NOT an easy ordeal. I'm glad for you if you don't have to have surgery.

Arty
10-19-2013, 07:07 AM
I certainly feel bad for you dude. I'm sure ole sawbones will fix ya right up.
Will say a prayer for ya.

Captain
10-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks Conine, you are a pretty good ranch hand!
Arty I sure enjoyed your visit maybe Ill be on my game next year... :D

Chicken Dinner
10-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear you're ailing. I don't know how long ago you had your other shoulder done, but they've come a long way in the past few years in being less invasive. I've even read the can do ACL replacements that way now. So, maybe if won't be so bad. I'm just a few hours away if you need something.

jb
10-19-2013, 08:35 AM
I feel really sorry for you knowing how active you are outdoors and all. Sure hope everything works out for the best as it usually does for you.
I've been very lucky in the health dept, I have different friends that are younger than me that have had to have hip, shoulder or knee replacements along with heart conditions and all other sorts of medical issues.
Knock on wood, this old over weight body is still pretty good even though it is sorely out of shape, hopefully that will improve over this winter.
I know you have lots of farm stuff left to do, just take it easy and do as the doc tells you.

BarryBobPosthole
10-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Larke, that's gonna be a tough assignment for somebody as rambunctious as you are. Sure hope your recovery goes well and is short! But do what they tell you and it'll likely go better. In other words, no rushing stuff.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Question is, what's this gonna do to your bow hunting? You might be crossing over to crossbow I'm thinking.

BKB

Captain
10-19-2013, 02:10 PM
I had to switch to Crossbow in 1997 when I lost my other rotator cuff. But this is gonna pretty well get the rest of my season bow or gun. I still do have the 44 magnum Colt Anaconda I bought when my other shoulder when out. Perhaps I can shoot a few more with it ...

BarryBobPosthole
10-19-2013, 02:53 PM
You need one of those hip swivels like that female marine had in Aliens.

And no, not THAT hip swivel but it was nice to.

BKB

Captain
10-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Maybe I could just use HER hip swivel? Hunting could take in a whole new adventure. :D

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Wow.

It sure does hurt, I can vouch for that. I think my tear was 2.5 mm........?? Least best I can remember.

I was told how awful rotator cuff surgery is. It is if they lay you open. Mine was done arthroscopically, and it went great. In sling for only 10 days. On pain pills less than a week. Rehab was easy. I am very glad I did it. But yeah, it was painful.

Now, guess what? I need a new hip!!!

Good luck, man.

Penguin
10-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Hope they can patch you up good Larke. I feel for you man, this is the absolute WORST time of the year to be down. But hank is right, they've come a long way on this kind of stuff. Might be they can do it without putting you down for too long.

Will

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
In 2012, I put mine off till mid January, thinking I'd be good by the time "crappie season" rolled around. Turned out, it was amazingly mild, and crappie went literally nuts starting Jan 15th and not turning off till summer. I got in on about a month of it. Others I know had to buy several new freezers.

Bwana
10-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Hoping the best for you Cappy but man your timing really does suck.

Captain
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks. I lost my left shoulder in 1997 and they had to cut me from front to back. About 9 inches. That took a while to get over. In that case I totally tore the rotator cuff out to the point I could not lift my left arm at all. The only way to move it was to move it with my right arm.
This time I can move it some with a lot of pain but it will at least move. So I'm HOPEFUL I didn't screw it up as bad as the last time and maybe, just maybe it can be fixed like Bucky was talking about and he won't have to cut me so bad...
Anyway the timing sure does SUCK!

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
OK, cappy. Off the top of your head, tell me the EXACT date you would have preferred to be in rehab for 4 months???

Captain
10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
May, June, July, and August...
HAY SEASON!!!!!!!

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
HAHAHAHA

And who would have done the hay then??? Evan? Minor? Cheryl? Hammerhead?

Captain
10-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Evan Can't, Minor won't, Cheryl has Hay fever, and Hammerhead is basically lazy by nature....:sleeping
I'd get it done someway if I'm on this side of the dirt...

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Not a week or two after Rotator Cuff surgery you won't. Mainstrength and Awkwardness will NOT get every job done, sir!!!

Captain
10-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I can drive a tractor with one arm as well as two. I don't know why I can't.....

quercus alba
10-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Better get it done before Obamacare kicks in. They'll schedule you in for a consultation Nov 1 2018. The Doctor will probably want the cash upfront too

Captain
10-21-2013, 08:37 PM
You're probably right.... I'll be in my friends office at 7:30 AM and get the verdict on what's gonna have to be done.