PDA

View Full Version : New SEC Mercy Rule.....

Big Muddy
10-20-2013, 11:39 PM

University of Arkansas today sent a formal request to SEC commissioner Mike Slive to enact a mercy rule for SEC in-conference games beginning next week.

The proposed rule would end the game at the conclusion of the 3rd quarter if one of the teams has an “insurmountable lead” over the other. The suggested lead would be 30 or more points and the trailing team must agree to the enforcement of the mercy rule.

“We have made a lot of strides to enhance the overall value of the SEC,” UA athletic director Jeff Long tells us. “Say hypothetically a team is losing 38-7 in the 3rd. Wouldn’t that score look much better in the record books than maybe 52-7? Plus there is player safety to consider, that is always a great reason for a rule.”

The request comes as the Razorbacks come off a 52-7 loss against South Carolina, and before playing Alabama in Tuscaloosa who currently is the #1 team in the nation and beat Arkansas 52-0 last year in Fayetteville. Arkansas however says the request has nothing to do with past or potential future losses.

“Our office is strongly considering the request and hope to have an official response by Tuesday,” a spokesperson for the SEC Commissioner’s office tells us. “We certainly want to improve the SEC in every way. Having a team with a first year head coach who is struggling to adjust to the difficulty level of the SEC from the Big 10, hypothetically of course, could use a little help at times to preserve the quality of the league.”

Alabama head coach Nick Saban has said that he would be on board with the rule changes as long as the losing team’s coach refers to him as King Saban for the remainder of the year and kiss all four of his championship rings at midfield following the game.

In related news Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema announced on twitter today that they are changing the official team motto from #NeverYield to #RightOnRed. The new motto is said to refer to the change in team philosophy to “go ahead and stop most of the time, unless it benefits us.”

Thumper
10-21-2013, 07:49 AM
First off ... I have no clue if this article is legit or done "tongue-in-cheek," BUT ...

ANY sort of ball bores me to tears, but I "did" play at one time many, MANY years ago. Doesn't instances like this give the leading team a chance to give their "second string" a bit of needed time on the field and a chance to let the key players "sit it out" to prevent possible injury and/or simply rest up a bit? Or maybe try some of those plays in the back of the playbook that they'd rather not risk during a tight game? Or do some of these coaches have such an ego they'd rather fight it out to the end and win by 50 points instead of 30?

Just asking ... not that I really give a squat. ;)

Big Muddy
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Uhhh, yep, it's satire, Thump. ;)

Thumper
10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I kinda figured that. At the end I wasn't quite sure if they were being smart-ass jerk-offs or adding to the "joke". Obviously, I don't get too involved with this stuff.

Carry on! ;)

Big Muddy
10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Our local Jr. Coll. team coulda used this "new rule"....recently lost a game 72-0. ;)

Really isn't a bad idea....it could be called the "Calf Rope Rule"....if a team is getting beat really bad, and wants to save the embarrassment, the losing coach could just throw a white towel onto the field, and holler, "Calf Rope". ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Anybody who plays Baylor this year would probably like it.

I just read though where the Oregon DC was criticizing Leach because he kept his first team in and kept his team fighting even after the score was out of hand. Isn't that one of the tenets of what we try to teach kids in sports? Keep trying even in the face of adversity?

Or have we totally given up on what amateur sports is supposed to do in the first the first place?

BKB

DeputyDog
10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Jim, the reason colleges run up the score is so that they get good computer rankings for the BCS.

Thumper
10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Ok. I was wondering if average/total points or point spreads had anything to do with it ... or if it simply scored a point in the "win column".

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
This is ridiculous.

It should be at end of 2nd quarter.

quercus alba
10-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Arkansas has a bye week. Still 22 point underdogs.

Gotta admit, Bama's getting better every week. Chunk the ducks or semenholes in there and let them get a little. Saban has obviously sold his soul to the devil

Captain
10-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Arkansas has a bye week. Still 22 point underdogs.

That's funny right there I don't care who you are, and I don't know nothin' about college ball.....
Take Care, Captain