PDA

View Full Version : TARGETING??? What a crock!!

Niner
10-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Targeting??? NEVER heard of that foul call before this weekend.....and it seems the refs decided this was the weekend they'd ALL give the call a try. I've heard of refs "being in the pocket" of one team or another. The refs in Nashville sure do favor their home-boys a lot.........just sayin'. I'll admit, I am not the most rabid of football fans...and there IS a bit about the game I do not know...but this is a new on on me.

IF, according to the rule, Drew was guilty of "targeting" that would be one thing....but this is a total BS call.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xvsKb4kPXn8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure does look like this ref has his hankie out WAAAAAY before contact is made.
http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-worst-targeting-call-of-the-college-footbal-1448364296

Maybe the NCAA rules committee needs to outlaw sacking the QB at all. Or maybe they need to just issue all the players a set of flags to wear around their waist and outlaw tackling too.

Maybe they should have just called "Giving Him The Business":
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/61eq-KjHGfQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain
10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
That "giving him the business" call is funny as hell. What happened did some tell an opposing player his momma wore Army boots?
What the world??????
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Football as I knew it, is over. In 15 years, it will not be a contact sport. There is absolutely, totally, NO WAY to eliminate the type of hits that cause injuries and keep the game intact. None.

Besides, in the NFL, defenses are now figuring out to stay away from the head. So now there are more leg, knee, and foot injuries, all of a sudden.

Baseball wants to stop collisions at the plate.

Meanwhile, these same "sports fans" flock to bars so that there are no chairs left, to watch MMA............

Crazy.

BarryBobPosthole
10-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I still say if they did away with helmets entirely there'd be FEWER head injuries and the game would be funner to watch.

BKB

quercus alba
10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
if a Neckcar driver can walk away from a 200 mph crash, they can design a helmet to reduce concussions

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Here's a test.

I want you to run as fast as you can, and run into that brick wall, head first. OK?

No? OK, no problem. I'll give you this helmet. NOW do it, ok? Still no???? Well, I'll be.

Concussions occur from the brain hitting the skull. If they can develop padding between the brain and the skull, then no more concussions. Besides, folks walk away from concussions. Many have had many. The definition of 'concussion' has changed as well. But no one walks away from direct knee hit, or a broken leg. That's where they are pushing the hits to come. And THEN they'll outlaw that too.

And THEN Posthole will be a Seer. Because we'll be 7 on 7 flag football, no pads. And by then, the MMA or UFC will allow guns.

LJ3
10-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I like the redskins chances in flag football

Captain
10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Did you mean Fag Football? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Penguin
10-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I've wondered if the CTE stuff is something that can be removed from the game or whether it is just something that goes with the territory. I have to admit that at this point I'm not sure. It may not even be concussions that cause it! Argh. I was lucky, I played 13 years and only had two concussions, only one of them serious. It happened on my very first full contact play in college, how's that for a bad omen? :o

Impact and fracture mechanics are pretty interesting stuff. The helmet was initially designed to spread the impact across a large area and eliminate the skull fractures that were killing players. Of course they have progressed a good bit. A lot of the work now is on lowering the acceleration that is imparted to the brain. In head impact situations you can't keep the brain from sloshing up against the inside of the skull but you can lower how quickly it does so... at times.

But not always. That serious concussion I got in college? It was a helmet to helmet collision, but the brain wasn't banged up against the side of my skull. A hyper-extended neck caused it. The spinal column tried to pull my noodle out of the bottom of the skull cavity. At least that is what the doctors told me.

Ugly stuff.

Will