PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the Range

Trav
10-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I was at the range yesterday sighting in my ML and I had my .308 BLR out as well. They guy in the lane next to comes over and ask if he can check it out and I said sure. So he picks it up comments and it's a pretty neat gun. I asked him what he was shooting and it was a Sako 85 with a stainless fluted bull barrel and a Swarovski Z6 scope in 22-250. Man what a nice outfit, I am not sure if anybody has handled or shot a Sako but man oh man. He let me fire it and talk about a crisp trigger, he said it was set at 2.5# and I believe it. Anyway I told him I had a .220 swift I've had for 3 years and I still hadn't shot yet because I can't find any ammo for it locally and just don't want to spend what it's going online for these days. He says hold on and walks over to his truck and comes back and says you're just guy I have been looking for. He hands me 2 boxes of HSM Trophy gold w/Berger bullets. Says he has 3 different 22-250's and he was a Cabelas in KC, Mo last year buying 15 different varieties of 22-250 ammo to find out which each gun liked the best and grabbed them by mistake. I asked him what he wanted and he said nothing I am just glad to find somebody who can use them. Said he has been bringing those boxes to the range every time he comes in the hopes of running into somebody to give them to. He asked me to give him a call once I shoot it so see how I liked it and handed me a business card. So my trip to the range netted me about $75 in ammo and a new friend. The buddy that was with me said why is it every time we go some where you meet somebody and they become your new BFF, nobody I just meet at random gives me stuff. I said it's just because I am loveable.

Big Skyz
10-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Cool story and sounds like you were definitely in the right place at the right time.

Thumper
10-21-2013, 09:16 AM
If you're ever down this way ... give me a shout as I still have a couple boxes of ammo for that Swifty here. It's way too much of a hassle to ship and finding anyone locally who shoots a .220 would be a bit of a stretch.

Buckrub
10-21-2013, 04:32 PM
My Tikka is Poor Man's Sako.

Never held a neater rifle. Can only imagine what a Sako is like.

Big Skyz
10-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I've owned one Sako and shot a couple others. All were very well made and really nice rifles. I'd buy another if the right deal came along. They ain't cheap!

Bwana
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I am lucky enough to have three Sako's at my disposal...sort of.
- One is a 6mm built by my grandpa's gunsmith friend that I sort of confiscated from my dad for coyote hunting plus the missus used it for deer hunting until I got her a rifle. This gun is a heavy pig at over 10 lbs.
- Her rifle was also built off of a Sako action but with newer, fancier components in 7mm-08. Big Sky talked me into taking this one and am glad I did, just wish she would let me shoot it more often as she is pretty darned possessive of her rifle.
- the other is a Sako A-7 in 270 my oldest bought after saving up money working at the trap range.

I guess now that I typed all this up, none of the above guns are a true Sako that Trav is talking about. Oh well, guess they will have to do.