PDA

View Full Version : Youse guys TRY to be good ...

Thumper
10-25-2013, 05:27 AM
... gonna head up Cappy's way and kick his butt! (or if he's not home, maybe visit Cheryl!) :D

Be back in a week ... but that's NOT a free pass to go crazy around here ... I'll have my iPhone AND laptop ... so I'll still keep tabs on ya'.

Captain
10-25-2013, 07:00 AM
You better bring a coat. You warm weather folks will freeze up here. Suppose to be in the 20's tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Not to worry Larke, he's got his Zippo.

BKB

Thumper
10-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Ha! I went to bed at 1:00am and was back up at 4:00am. I NEVER sleep well my first night in a hotel. Anyway, I've been up marking estate sales on my GPS. Lynn's mom doesn't fly in from L.A. until late this afternoon, so I figured we'd do a bit of "shopping" this morning. Lynn was "elated" when I woke her up a few mins. ago to get started. Later dufes ... I gots ta' get out'ta here and go treasure hunting.

Captain
10-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Fine me some old wool army blankets....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Funny you should mention that Cappy. When I was living in Thailand back in the early 70's, I couldn't buy ANYTHING "off the rack". Everything I wore, from denim jeans to shirts and even shoes was custom made. All my clothes were tailor made, but the first time I had a pair of shoes made was a real comedy show for the locals. The cobbler would normally lay a spiral notebook on the floor and draw an outline of one's foot to get the dimensions for the soles. When I was in the shop, he had to take two pages and tape them together end to end (I wear a size 15 shoe). You wouldn't believe the crowd that formed watching him outline my feet! :D

Anyway, we were issued those Army wool blankets and I somehow collected a few of them, but they were the LAST thing I needed in that tropical climate. I got the bright idea to take one down to the local tailor and had it made into a winter coat. It turned out great! BUT ... I had a buddy from New York who was getting ready to head home and he fell in love with it. We just happened to be the same size, so I gave it to him as a "going home" gift as I figured I could always have another one made for myself. Of course, I never got around to it. I didn't really NEED one anyway ... but the one I did have made sure turned out cool!

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for one. Do they still issue those things? Are they hard to find these days? Are they available in the Army surplus stores? I've never really thought about it.

johnboy
10-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Reminds me of the old Hudson's Bay blanket coats.

Buckrub
10-26-2013, 07:08 PM
http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=713463&kwtid=2224562&pmdgtl=1&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Military%20Surplus%20-%20Camping&utm_term=military%20wool%20blanket&gclid=CIPHr9HOtboCFQto7Aod-iwA-w&tab=1