PDA

View Full Version : Little Bighorn pics

Bwana
10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Though I was only able to stop for a few minutes, it was interesting to finally see a place I have read and heard about many times over the years. As Cappy eluded to in my earlier post, Custer & the 7th Calvary were stationed just south of here at Fort Lincoln and as a billboard that used to be found along I-94 said, "Come visit North Dakota, Custer was healthy when he left here."

While on the sight one can't help but envision what took place. The gravestones that are scattered across the landscape help paint the picture whether it be where numerous markers are in a single location or the lone marker seen in the distance. You can almost hear the sounds of gunfire, people yelling, horses running, etc.

A portion of the river bottom where the indian encampment was located.

Looking S-SE along Battle Ridge near Calhoun Hill.

Looking N towards Last Stand Hill.

Last Stand Hill.

Marker where a soldier fell.

Bwana
10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Here is a link to the National Park Service website for the Little Bighorn Battlefield.
http://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm

Chicken Dinner
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
What, no markers for the injuns? (On a serious note, that's very cool.)

Bwana
10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Actually there are a few markers for the Indians but only 3 of them. Apparently the federal government put up the soldiers markers but only three families of fallen indians have paid to put up markers. If I remember correctly there were only an estimated 40-60 indians killed in the fight compared to something like 220 military.

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2013, 03:53 PM
I'd like to see it some time. This would be a good time of the year to do it too.

BKB

jb
10-25-2013, 04:11 PM
We stopped there a few years ago, it was in June about a week before the date on the markers.
I just stood still and imagined what it was like, same time of the year, same type of landscape only about 120 years different.
History, just love it.
Bwana, if I remember when Larke and I were visiting you we hunted some land where Custer had camped on the way to the Little Bighorn, neat place, again I love history.

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2013, 04:52 PM
One thing about that country up there, you'd have to be rough as a cob to live out on it.

BKB

Bwana
10-25-2013, 05:04 PM
You are right Posthole, folks were ALOT tougher back in the old days. When you consider all the fancy clothing, shoes, etc. we have these days to help keep us comfortable, those folks endured a lot.

Captain
10-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Id love to see that place one day. I love history

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner