PDA

View Full Version : Caution guys...dang ants on the move...

Big Muddy
10-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Last week a hoard of ants moved into our kitchen cabinets....sometimes its the kitchen cabinets and sometimes other parts of the house....this usually happens when we start getting our first cold weather, like the 40 degrees we had Friday night.

I noticed a hoard of the little buggers, early yesterday morning, crawling all over my computer, which sits on the floor of our converted carport-to-computer room....I guess they liked the warmth of the internal parts of the computer.

I had noticed earlier in the morning, that my computer was acting weird, and wouldn't direct me to any site that I clicked on....I was trying to look up some family info., but it would direct me to some really weird websites, and then wouldn't allow me to disconnect from them.

I clicked every button on my pc, and finally the screen went completely blank, and just completely locked up....I figured it was just the sorry internet service acting up.

Then, later, I discovered the ants....so, I disconnected it, and took it outside, so maybe the little buggers could find a new home, instead of my pc... didn't want to spray it with any bug spray.

Left it under the carport, overnight, but a few were still hanging around, today....took a pic for insurance purposes because the ants have totally shorted it out.

I have had them invade several of my farm irrigation well electrical meters, and they can short them out beyond repair....they do the same thing on the phone company's connector boxes, coming into our house....I got bit several times, too, and beside biting, they cause a lot of damage, so keep a look out for the little buggers, especially, if you live in the deep woods, like we do.

Bwana
10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you need to invest in a pack of anteaters.

Captain
10-27-2013, 03:05 PM
They do that crap around here too Eddie. They got dads well pump once, they have gotten the gate opener at the farm twice. And SEVERAL fence chargers.

Now I keep ant poison out around the post close to all chargers, and the gate opener.
I've also had them ruin two trail cameras by getting inside by the thousands...
One thing I did with the auto gate opener is took the cover off and put moth balls inside and sealed it back up.

And before anyone says it, yes it's hard getting the balls off a moth...... Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
10-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Might be Crazy Ants.

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/crazy-ants-the-ants-that-eat-electronics-march-int/nZ3zy/

Buckrub
10-27-2013, 05:11 PM
You know.............when I changed the tire on the trailer a week ago, ants attacked me on the side of the road. When I was done, I felt 'bites' and they were all over my leg. And when I got to the farm, I drove around looking at a ditch where I need to put a bridge. Standing there, I was instantly covered in these little black ants.

Could they be aliens?

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Isn't that the first sign if the Apocalypse?

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2013, 08:35 PM
I've heard the fire ants are pretty bad this year but for the most part its been south of us. We had a really mild year weatherwise, both winter and summer and stuff like that, crickets for example, have gone nuts. We'll hopefully have a really cold winter and it'll knock some of that shit back. The grasshoppers were also out en force this year.

BKB

Captain
10-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Isn't that the first sign if the Apocalypse?

What? The ants or Bucky changing a tire??? :-) I can see that going both ways.

Chicken Dinner
10-28-2013, 08:29 AM
What? The ants or Bucky changing a tire??? :-) I can see that going both ways.

Depends on how much crack was showing when he bent over to change it.

Buckrub
10-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I can't bend over. I have to lay plumb down.

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure why they invaded the retail stores, but here in NE Oklahoma seems like the store fronts of the box stores in our shopping centers were literally covered in black crickets. It was nasty. And I've tried to use black crickets for bait but fish won't hit 'em. Gotta be a brown cricket.

And here's a question I've pondered for a long time and Keith and I were discussing it over lunch today: Why wont anything hit a water bug? You see jillions of those little black water bugs and not even the feistiest perch in the world nor the angriest bass will ever even give them a look. They must be some bitter tasting little sumbitches for those fish to leave them alone. Those little pond skaters are the same way.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
I've had good luck with black crickets, in fact I even caught a mallard hen with one once.