PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 feet of pure death......

Big Muddy
10-28-2013, 09:57 PM
My main labor guy, Joe, and I spent most of today, setting up the new Redneck deer stand....we laid down tools on the ground, welded, carried around ladders, and walked around the immediate vicinity of the deer stand the entire time.
About 3 pm, Joe was sitting on the yellow bucket, while I was finishing up the last of the welding....I heard him squeal like a school girl, and lifted my welding hood....under that green palmetto, less than 5 feet from his bucket, he pointed at the tightly coiled-up copperhead....he said a slight movement caught his eye.

We had literally walked, stomped, and trampled every square inch of ground within a 30 foot radius of the deer stand location, and that bastage was lying under that palmetto, less than 6 feet from the leg of the tower....I even remember picking up a dropped welding rod that landed on top of that green palmetto.

After dispatching the snake with my Ruger .22, Joe and I just stood there in disbelief, that we had been working there nearly all day, with that bastage, literally under our feet....shook up both of us pretty good....this is the largest copperhead I've ever killed on my farm....most have been in the 2 to 2 1/2 foot length.

While we were picking up our tools, etc., getting ready to quit for the day, I bent over to pick up my chipping hammer....my cellphone vibrated in my pants pocket....almost messed up a good pair of drawers. ;)

Captain
10-28-2013, 10:58 PM
HAHAHAHAhahaha my only regret is that it was not me callin' ...
Them Copperheads are some NASTY boogers. You both are damn lucky! I killed some bigun' around here. And three foot is heavy duty. Did you skin him out and tan the hide?
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
10-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Skinning him out crossed my mind, briefly, Cap, but to be honest, I was so hot, sweaty, and tired, I just filled that s.o.b. full of .22 holes, took a couple of pics, and tossed him in a thorn thicket.

I failed to mention, Sandy stayed with us, while we were working, and wandered around the entire area, all day long....that big of a copperhead would have killed her for sure.

Niner
10-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Wowzers!!! SO, I guess you're gonna name that stand The Snake Shack???

Glad y'all didn't get bit!

yellowk9
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Your whole story proved how reluctant copperheads (and most venomous snakes) are to bite people. You probably step next to them A LOT and never know it. You pretty much have to grab one or step on top of it to get nailed.

BarryBobPosthole
10-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Copperheads ain't that venomous but they sure as heck won't run off like most other snakes will. Well, other than cottonmouths. They're just mean.

BKB

Bwana
10-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Anyone else unable to view the pics? For me they show up at "Attachment 2030" and "Attachment 2031" in the original post and when I click on them I get a message saying they are an invalid something or another.

DeputyDog
10-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I get the same thing.

Big Skyz
10-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Don't show up for me either. By the way my favorite part of that whole story is this part of your sentence; "After dispatching the snake with my Ruger .22"

Captain
10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
I cannot view them either. I get
"vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Big Muddy
10-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Ill post them again.

BarryBobPosthole
10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Gosh they are some pretty snakes regardless of them trying to bite you. I have this humongous copperhead hide that Larke gave me that I have to do something with but I just haven't figured out what. I would put it on a leather rifle sling, or at least cover the biggest part of it, but I can imagine laying my gun down and going to pick it up and that hide scaring the bejeebers out of me. Was thinking of a guitar strap and that might be what I do. A friend of mine made a homemade indian bow our of bois d'arc and covered it with a snake skin and it's about the prettiest thing you'll ever see. I'm not that talented to do that though.

BKB

Big Muddy
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Not sure, but I think I was trying to post these pics, during the time of the password change period from my iphone.
My pc got fubared with the ants, so no telling what happened to the first pics.
My bad.

Big Muddy
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
They really are pretty, Phole....The Good Lord really camo-ed them well....almost too well.
Joe and I worked on another deer stand in the woods, today, and both of us tiptoed the entire day. ;)

Captain
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Man that is a shame you didn't get that hide! Wow that is a nice tight-eyes right there.
You better be glad it was not spring time or one of y'all would have been bit. Them boggers are aggressive in the spring. Even though it's probably pretty warm in your country right now, it is fall and they get very docile this time of the year. I'm glad for y'all and Sandy on that deal...

jb
10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
As much as I hate them buggers, they are pretty in their own right.
Someday one of youse guys have to save me a skin, to go with the rattler Captain sent me years back.

Arty
10-30-2013, 01:36 PM
That's a biggun!
We kill two or three in the neighborhood every year.
Next one we find I'm going to do something with the skin. They sure are marked up pretty

Big Muddy
10-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Snakes gone crazy down here!!!....driving home an hour ago, and four snakes crossed in front of me, in the span of half a mile....first one, about a 2 foot copperhead, got introduced to a set of skidding 18 inch Goodyear Wranglers.
Next was a blue racer, which was just too fast and very lucky....next, a big fat chicken snake, which is no longer big, nor fat.....next a nice king snake, which I dodged.