PDA

View Full Version : Sugar beets.....question for you northerners....

Big Muddy
10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Saw an article someplace about sugar beets being the cats titty for deer food plots up north.
Wonder if they might do good down here.???
Any of you yanks have any experience, planting them for plots???

Buckrub
10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Yankees aren't allowed to do food plots.

Big Skyz
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
While I've spent a ton of time hunting over sugar beet fields I've never seen one planted as a plot. Up here they are planted by the hundreds and thousands of acres. The whole food plot thing hasn't really caught on. Deer do love them, but no more so than corn or snow peas.

Big Muddy
10-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Was thinking that just maybe the beets would be something different and special down here, since they are not an agri. crop.

Neither is alfalfa, but I planted a few acres of it several years ago, and the deer went ape sheeit over it. It is just too expensive to try to maintain.

Bwana
10-31-2013, 10:36 AM
No sugar beets in the areas we hunt and no food plots either, just too much crop land to be very effective, though it may be useful in special situations. Matter of fact the problem we are going to have this year is WAY too much standing corn due to the late harvest. Corn equals food and security all in one spot but unless you have permission to hunt it the deer are pretty much safe in there.

HideHunter
10-31-2013, 10:56 AM
eddie.. from what the tell me it takes a freeze to force the sugar into the leaves. Now I know you get some weather down there but that would be a factor..

jb
10-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Sugar beets, carrots, apples, pumpkins and shelled corn are big up here for bait. Can't have more than a 5 gal. bucket on bait on the ground at one time. About two sugar beets make up that amount.