PDA

View Full Version : i need a good

quercus alba
11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Squirrel mulligan recipe like mama used to make. I know the ingredients I want to use, I need help on the seasoning. It needs to be spicy but not overpowering. All the recipes on line call for all kinds of weird seasonings that I know mama didn't use. I figure some of you more mature gentlemen might know what squirrel mulligan is. Don't know about these youngsters

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
The squirrel stews I've had were pretty much identical to what you'd put in a beef stew. And if you want just a smidge of heat, I'd use about a teaspoon of crushed red pepper.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Here ya go, QA....two words---Lawhorn Seasoning.
All-in-One Recipe....Its got everything you want/need for your mulligan.
Pretty spicy, but add Tabasco if you want it hotter.

http://www.lawhorns.net/

Buckrub
11-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna start squirrel hunting one of these days. I promise. So I'm watching recipes.

QA, try that good old Arky product......Cavenders. I use it and Head Country, and danged little else..........on everything.

Big Muddy
11-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm gonna start squirrel hunting one of these days. I promise. So I'm watching recipes.

QA, try that good old Arky product......Cavenders. I use it and Head Country, and danged little else..........on everything.

You'll throw those away after using Lawhorn's. ;)

quercus alba
11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm big on spices, my tastebuds aren't as sensitive as some so I need big bold flavors, subtle flavors are lost on me. I might just get some of both, they won't go to waste.

I think I'm going to use fresh spices in the mulligan, maybe two or three jalapenos and a few poblano's and lots of onion. Maybe let it simmer for a few hours. I'll see if I can't talk the missus into making a loaf of sourdough bread to expedite the process.

I'm not much of a grill master or smoker king, I do my best work in the kitchen so I don't use a lot of the blended seasoning, I like to mix and match. Sunday morning is my time to cook so I run everybody out of my way. Dinner today, lentils, collards, cracklin bread and hamburger steak smothered in onion mushroom gravy. I've already sampled it and it's larrupin.

Arty
11-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Man that sounds good! What time do we eat!?

Buckrub
11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Ed, I've used Lawhorn's a lot. It's been bought for camp and I use it when I have to. Cavender's is about five times better, IMHO. Head Country Seasoning is also good on more than just pork.

Big Muddy
11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Yo taste buds dun got elderly. ;)

Buckrub
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Nah. Yours are older'n mine.

speaking of which......you guys can Google this one......but there are folks called "Super Tasters". My wife is one. These people can taste every tiny little thing. Nothing escapes their taste buds. This is NOT good.......because they cannot tolerate any heat at all. My wife has this more than any other person I ever knew. She can't eat black pepper. Eating out is a challenge for her. She can't eat anything spicy. Most of the serious cases are women.

I don't know what the other end of the spectrum is called......but they are totally the other way. They have to have massive spice/taste/flavor to even register. These are the ones that claim they can eat any hot thing imaginable, and they can. The reason is not that they are tough, or strong, or whatever..........the reason is that they have far less tasting capabilities than the Super Tasters. So they like almost any food. My buddy at deer camp is this way. If I fixed him boiled cardboard, he'd smile and say "Man, this is the BEST boiled cardboard I ever ate", and he'd mean it. Food dates mean nothing to him. He drinks milk I consider spoiled, claiming he's being 'frugal'. He just cannot taste much, so he likes everything, and his system processes anything.

Lesson over.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Captain
11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I am that way. No spices. I like good BBQ sauces cooked on or added and that's about it.
A lot of food joints now are putting all this dry crap on a steak before (or after) they cook it and then Bring it out with what looks like a dusting of dirt on it. I don't know what that crap is, cracked pepper, sea salt, busted up rocks, ground up twigs and sticks, walnut hull, and perhaps dried gopher nuts? I cannot stand that stuff. I always tell them to tell that damn ol' cook not to put nothing on my steak. If it come out with that crap on it I don't eat it and I don't pay for it. And about one in 5 will test me one it...
I want a steak put on a grill and warmed up. I like it where a good Vet can have him mooing in a few minutes. If, and I mean if I put anything on it, I MIGHT put some real butter or perhaps a little Lea and Perrins.
I can smell better than most folks. More times than not I will smell a deer before I see them and usually can tell if its a buck or doe. And if you are ever walking around with me and I tell you I smell a copperhead, you better be picking your feet up cause I can smell them from a long way off. And a black snake, king snake, rat snake smell worse of all.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
11-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Food dates mean nothing to him. He drinks milk I consider spoiled, claiming he's being 'frugal'. He just cannot taste much, so he likes everything, and his system processes anything.

I bet your buddy gets the screaming sheeits, quite frequently. ;)

Big Muddy
11-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I swear, Cap, that's exactly how I like my steaks, too....Lea Perrins and maybe a little butter....if the folks, eating at the table with me, don't like the sight of fresh very rare beef steak, that is still quivering, then they better get up, and change tables. ;)

Buckrub
11-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Ed, you have no idea. This guy can stay in the bathroom for an hour at a time, several times a day sometimes. He says that's normal. I think a good stomach doctor could get him on the cover of the AMA Journal. He's amazing. We have a two holer at camp.......thank goodness.

Captain
11-04-2013, 05:13 AM
I swear, Cap, that's exactly how I like my steaks, too....Lea Perrins and maybe a little butter....if the folks, eating at the table with me, don't like the sight of fresh very rare beef steak, that is still quivering, then they better get up, and change tables. ;)

I told you: either your Granddaddy or mine was a traveling salesman.... Cuz

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Most of what those restaurants are putting on that steak is salt. I'm not sure where or how that trend got started because they'll take a tough old dairy cow steak they sell for $20 and salt the living shit out of it thinking you can't tell the difference and most people will say YUM and dig right in. I won't eat it oversalted like that. Your Lone Star Steakhouses and Logan's and such as that do that. Half of what you get there is gristle anyway.

I'm not sure where I fall into Bucky's spectrum of people with and without taste. I like hot stuff but I also don't like stuff that's been overspiced to hide the taste of what it is you're eating either.

BKB

Captain
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure what they put on it, but if it comes to me and looks like someone drug it through the parking lot I don't want it. :D

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Amen, Posty. And Cappy.

In fact, I don't care for my steak to be 'marinaded' in any way before grilling. I love the taste of meat! Just meat! Anyone that bemoans me putting ketchup on some steaks, and then marinades theirs first for hours, and then seasons it to death, and then cooks it, is a HYPOCRITE of the first order, and an idjit to boot. So there!! :)

Logans and Outback are awful at it. Outback finally changed and has a choice......'original' (meaning salted to death) or "fire grilled", which isn't as seasoned. Fair, but not great steaks.

Texas Roadhouse is actually a good chain meat place.

But no spices on it. My wife would kill you for a Filet Mignon. But you put one ounce of seasoning on it, and she won't eat it. Just cook it and bring it, ok?

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Oh there isn't anything wrong with a little flavor enhancing spices. I got to using black truffle olive oil at Eddie's suggestion a few years ago and I swear you could put that shit on a cedar shake and it'd taste good. But just a couple drops. I also use Daddy Hinkles, but just a little, on my steak and it enhances the flavor of the meat just fine. Look for it in your store. Its every bit as good as Head Country. Get the 'original' which is just a hint of garlic. And a patty of garlic butter on a steak right off the grill when it's resting is out of this world. But the number one thing I've learned about cooking beef in the last year is to let the meat get to room temperature before you cook it. Makes a WORLD of difference.
Now I'm making myself hongry!

BKB