PDA

View Full Version : I'll listen to your trailer advice...........

Buckrub
11-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I need a bigger utility trailer. I have a 5X10, and it's a good trailer. One of the best, made by a guy, now deceased, about 8 miles from me. Pipe, not angle iron.......full metal floor, and I have new tires (Duh), a tool box bolted in the front, and a Fulton heavy duty wheeled jack. But it's not big enough.

I can't decide between at 16' and a 14'.

I have looked at Big Tex at several locations. Their 50LA series is a possibility, as is the 60XP series.......in either 14' or 16'.

I want to have room to put my four wheeler (and some day, as I DREAM, a Gator 825xi), and still have room to carry some storage boxes and ice chests that my truck never seems to have enough room to carry. I also am thinking of mounting a new storage box/pickup type tool box, in front of trailer before the crank.

I think I'd like the side loading ATV trailers, but most of them are not the heavy duty trailers. This is not a requirement, as my current ATV is over 9 feet long with baskets, and it'd hang over the sides with most trailers.

I keep thinking I want a dual axle with an electric brake, but they are indeed heavier. Yes, I'll have a bigger truck someday, maybe in a year.

A 16' just seems a bit much to pull and store........but it sure would hold my stuff........

welded pipe vs. angle iron...........not sure it matters, but my current one is pipe, and it's nice...........

Expanded metal drop down gate, vs. no sides and use ramps.....???????

thoughts?????

Niner
11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
All opinions are like..........well you know, and everybody has one.

That being said:

You say your current 5x10 unit has a metal floor. I am assuming it is solid metal or diamond plate, and not the expanded metal I see on some trailers? I personally do not care for the expanded metal for a trailer floor. I like pressure-treated wood (which I have experience with), but a solid metal floor sounds good....as long as it has "good traction" and is not slippery when wet/muddy.

I have two trailers. One, which I have had for about 12-13 years is my "utility trailer". I got it to haul my 4-wheeler and "stuff". It is built hell-for-stout out of rectangular tubing and C-channel (IIRC). I'd have to put a tape on it, but I THINK it is 5x10 also. The other one is 20' long. I got it to haul tractors and BIG STUFF. It has one of those "bob tails" that helps a lot with loading, and adjustable ramps made out of angle iron. This one has dual axles and electric brakes (but I don't have a controller on my truck.....yet), the "utility trailer" has a single axle rated at an alleged 3500#. The big trailer is big enough to haul my 35hp tractor with FEL and bush-hog attached. I HAVE hauled a rental track-hoe on it a couple of times as well. That said......IF you go with a 16ft trailer, I'd suggest getting one with dual axles and brakes.

Also....regarding truck size. I pulled the big trailer LOADED quite a few times with my old Dodge 1500 truck. I have not had the need to do that YET with the Tundra, but have no doubt it would tow it just fine.....in fact this truck has the "towing package" option.

For anyone that has a trailer with a lift gate, I would highly recommend one of these Gorilla Lift thingies. I do not have one on my utility trailer, but I REALLLY want one. I have seen them in action and they are awesome. My trailer's gate is heavy as the dickens and I (at this time) cannot lift nor lower it by myself.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316067_200316067

My UT has sides and the big boy does not. I like sides on the UT. I kindof wish my big trailer had them, but it does not and that's no biggie for it's applications.

AS far as the gate VS ramps question, my answer is .....what's the biggest thing your gonna haul in it??? If the biggest thing is your 4-wheeler, or a UTV....I'd say gate, you will CUSS ramps for that application....IMHO.

ONE thing you MIGHT want to consider is a tilt-bed trailer. That's the kind that the bed tilts down and you drive on and the bed tilts back down as you drive onto the trailer. Then again, that kind of trailer may be totally inappropriate for you, as all your other stuff might fall out when the bed tilts.

I found the 50LA on the Big Tex website, and it looks like a nice unit. However, I looked and looked and could not find the 60XP trailer. If I was gonna haul coolers, stands and whatnots in the trailer...I would sure want it to have sides...for tying stuff to if for no other reason.

That's my $0.002 on the subject.....for now.

:trainwreck

Big Muddy
11-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I sorta like this little red trailer. ;)

Captain
11-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Eddie wins! :D

I've got straight trailers and tilt trailers of ever configuration. One of the things Conine say is right on, gorilla lift is the way to go on any trailer with a tailgate. They are a little PITA to install because you have to find the "sweet spot" on the tailgate for it to work correct. But once you find your balance spot it will lift the tailgate perfect.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Here's the Big Tex lineup. The 60SP is the red one:

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/trailers/tandem_axle.html

I don't know if I want/need dual axles.......or electric brakes...... The specs on trailers vary widely. 3500 lb axle(s) seem standard. Also, the "nicer" they are, the heavier they are, and the more expensive.

The metal floor I have is NOT expanded metal, wouldn't have that. But most of them now are pine. Those always rot through eventually and are a PITA to replace, but it can be done. But you just don't see any metal floor trailers hardly. So I imagine it'll be pine.

Here's one at a trailer place in my hometown, that looks good. But big and heavy. Also has room (I think) to mount a locking tool box between rail and jack.

http://www.trailersplus.com/Arkansas/Conway/7-Wide-Tandem-Utility-Trailers/trailer/4YMUL1626DT018429/

Then again........I might just limp along with what I have. I just didn't want to stumble onto one and buy it and have you guys say "YOU SHOULDA ASKED US"... :)

Captain
11-03-2013, 07:41 PM
You should not buy a trailer over 12 foot unless it has tandem axles. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
11-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Ditto what Cap said....and, trailers are like gun safes....always buy a bigger one, than what you think you need.

Niner
11-04-2013, 02:08 AM
You could trade in your camping trailer for one of those...I think they are called "toy hauler" units. That's one of them campers that the rear end has a big door that opens...or...the whole rear end opens and you drive your wheeley inside and strap it down.

That way you get the best of both worlds.

:blob10

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
As for brakes, it depends on how much you're gonna pull weight wise. My boat and trailer weighs about 3500 pounds I think and it just has the surge brakes on it and they work just fine. They'll flat slow you down in a hurry when you have to is all I know and I've never had an issue with mine locking up. A tandem axle is the cat's ass for a boat trailer and I imagine its much the same for any other kind of trailer. Its like night and day difference.
Something nobody has brought up is the diameter of the wheels. If it were me, I'd only buy a trailer with 14" or 15" wheels that you can put a nice meaty road tire on. I imagine most of the ones nowadays are that way, but those little small wheels just have to work too hard at highway speeds to be much punk. Most of those trailers don't have much much clearance either, which I'd think you'd want for what you want to haul and where.

BKB

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
All these trailers have 15 or 16" wheels.

The only 'hard' advice so far, from here and other sources, is
A) 16 feet
B) Dual axle
C) at least one axle has electric brakes

These two are local, and caught my eye. Expensive........but last one I'll ever buy.

http://www.trailersplus.com/Arkansas/Conway/7-Wide-Tandem-Utility-Trailers/trailer/4RACS1627DC035870/

http://www.trailersplus.com/Arkansas/Conway/7-Wide-Tandem-Utility-Trailers/trailer/4YMUL1626DT018429/

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
You got too much shit if you need a trailer that big just to go hunting.

BKB

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
That is the original problem, yes.

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Remember, I go "hunting" for five straight weeks.

You tell me if you went fishing in Canada for FIVE straight weeks.......and if there is NO store anywhere close.......and the weather will be between 95F and 20F....how much stuff would you take?

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Trailer #1 would work for the beer......

BKB

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
See?

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Can you pull either of those trailers behind your camper? Maybe Eddie toy hauler advice is best. Either that or buy a stock trailer and just bed down in it!

BKB

Thumper
11-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, I don't have much of a dog in this hunt. I've had mine for over 20 years and it's just a basic 5X10 (14" wheels) with removable tailgate/ramp. But, I've never had a problem hauling all my stuff even for extended, remote, out-post camps in Canada for three week trips. I have a (truck type) tool box mounted at the front for small and emergency stuff (tools, bottle jack, lug wrench, Fix-A-Flat, rags, trailer balls, tie-downs, etc) and that takes up 2', effectively making the trailer a 5' X 8'. I also have a spare tire mounted in front of that. Heck, with the trailer, toolbox, PLUS the bed of the truck AND the seating area behind the seats ... I've never had a problem with space even when hauling my 4-wheeler. The only time things really got cramped was when I took a buddy with me and we had TWO 4-wheelers ... one in the bed and one on the trailer. I'll admit we looked like Sanford & Son going down the road with all the crap stuffed into every nook & cranny available. Also, that was only a 10-day trip, so I'll admit, we probably could have used a bigger trailer for an extended stay ... but normally, it's just me and no problem.

But, then again, I'm a cheap fart and bigger/heavier trailers mean crappier fuel mileage in my eyes. I try to take ONLY what's necessary plus some "emergency" stuff and have never had a real problem with space ... but that's just me.

That said, I agree with the dual axles for anything over 12'. Metal floors are HEAVY and (IMO) overkill for what you will be hauling. My wood floor is over 20 years old and even though it's stored outside in humid/rainy Florida, it still looks new. In fact, I recently cleaned and sealed it.