PDA

View Full Version : trip report/ home w sick kid today

hotshot
11-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Got a sick daugher. NASTY sinus infection.
Had agreat weeekend of duck hunting. Finanlly. Spent Saturday morning with a handful of guys. Worked a bunch of wood ducks. The group got one..... lightening quick shooting on a deep woods wethole. I never fired a shot all morning- making sure the dog stayed put.
Sunday was a different story. Got on another big pond. Had some geese come in They got so close Luke took one out point blank. e had a perfect shot at the head....The least graphic way to say it was an instant kil let's just say. Or he was a HEAD of the game and won by the SKIN of teh goose's neck. The other two that came in with his bird did not leave either. With one shot I hit both birds- one instant kill and a snapped wing. My dog retrieved both of my birds.. the clipped wing involved some poking around in the brush across the pond after a short drive...
Earlier in the day, one of the college boys that stores their guns at my house hit a merganzer, (nasty bird, but he wanted to shoot it). Remmy put on a great retrieve. The bird was hit, but not dead. It dove and swam. Remmy started off in the wrong direction but chased the bird down and hung with it through several dives.
Between flights of birds, Luke waded out with a fishing pole and caught some nice bluegills and 2 bass on a red- tailed plastice worm. Those were filleted for lunch.
Geese are getting sliced up for jerky after a day's marinating.
Got all this in before Luke's noon tennis lesson.

Captain
11-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a great time. I've got opening day of ducks this coming weekend. I'm headed to the coast for what might me my only hunt of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Ducks?

No wonder we ain't go no ducks. Dadgum yankees shoot 'em in October!!! Geez.

Ducks shouldn't start till after Thanksgiving......

hotshot
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
thanks for the southern style ribbing... they were geese- non migratory Canada geese... but I will do my best to see that no ducks make it South