PDA

View Full Version : Man-o-man, I've been jonesin' for this!

Thumper
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I was sitting here this morning with sushi on my mind. Next thing I know, Lynn called and said she'd like sushi today and asked if I wanted to meet her for lunch. Uhhh, HELL yeah! We have a Chinese buffet here in town that also has a couple of sushi chefs who work their butts off doing nothing but cranking out sushi. It's just a AYCE buffet, good sushi at lunch, great sushi at dinner, but for what you get, it's quite the bargain at under $8.00 for lunch.

I snapped a couple pics of my starters. A couple of plates for a quick warm-up, then I hit the rest of the buffet like a bull-dozer! :D

Plate one for starters ...

And then plate #2 to complete the warm-up! (I quit taking pics after this one). ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Are those stabbin' sticks for when something tries to get up and run off the plate?

BKB

Bwana
11-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Bait Jim, that is bait not food.

Niner
11-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Glad to see you've gotten your appetite back.

jb
11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I always knew Jim like the smell and taste of raw fish, wonder if he notices the difference between the real stuff and the other.:lmao

Thumper
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Sheeeesh, I see I'm surrounded by the unwashed masses! :banghead

Big Skyz
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Yuck! Can't believe a basic non-fish eater like yourself can stand that stuff.

Captain
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Now that's just nasty! Can you not find some batter and grease to dunk that stuff in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
11-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Try ketchup.

quercus alba
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I got your back Kribbsy, that's some mighty good eating there. What kind of dipping sauce do you prefer?

Big Muddy
11-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Tried that stuff, once....ONCE!!!....think I told ya'll about it....mistakenly, slathered the whole glob of sushi with that green wasabi sheeit....I thought it was just some sorta sauce....set everything on fire from my tongue to my testicles....spent the next half hour in the restroom, splashing cold water in my mouth and face....sushi wasn't too bad, but that green wasabi is some bad sheeit!!!! ;)
Sorta turned me off of any of that stuff.

LJ3
11-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I'd sit with ya and fuck that stuff up! No eel for me, though. That's the only thing I don't like.

Chicken Dinner
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Oh man, the eel is one if my favs. I draw the line at sea urchin.

Niner
11-05-2013, 04:00 AM
My favorite is the Kraken.

Thumper
11-05-2013, 07:17 AM
I got your back Kribbsy, that's some mighty good eating there. What kind of dipping sauce do you prefer?

Shoyu (Soy Sauce) with lots of wasabi ... (sorry Edward). ;) Here in the States, I usually mix the two in the shoyu bowl (a no-no in Japan).

BS, as you know, I'm not a huge fan of fish. I eat fish (usually fried), but if there are options, fish is my LAST choice. BUT ... that said, QUALITY fish I will eat raw. In fact, I love good, quality raw fish (Sashimi) and can really do some damage at a Japanese table! I can eat my weight in sushi! ;)

BTW, for some o'youse uneducated slobs ... sashimi is raw fish (and some other meats I think) and I can do some real damage on the stuff ... sushi can have sashimi or most any other ingredients including full vegetarian. Actually, sushi is made with "sushi rice" ... whatever you wrap in the rice is sushi, made into sushi rolls and sliced into bite-sized morsels (like the pics). So, sushi "can" contain raw fish, but not ALL sushi contains raw fish. (got that?) The pics above are a mixture ... some have raw salmon, tuna or "whitefish" ... others have a variety of "stuff". Hey, it's an inexpensive LUNCH BUFFET! "Quality" sushi is pretty pricey and the plates pictured above would cost about half the National debt if ordered in a quality sushi bar.

Sashimi is made with very high quality, fresh fish. I'm not a fish-eater, but good quality sashimi is to kill for! If it tastes/smells fishy ... it's not true sashimi ... it's simply bad/low quality fish.

LJ & CD ... not crazy about eel and avoid it ... sea urchin ... only tried it once ... whole, not in sushi ... I've never touched it since that first attempt and have no plans to EVER do it again!

My SEAL buddy and I have (or used to have) a tradition. There is a killer sushi bar in the Bangkok Airport in Thailand. In the "old days", when we'd head back to the States, we'd exchange our Thai Baht for U.S. dollars before boarding our return flight home. Once we discovered this sushi place, we now go in, both of us empty our pockets/wallets, place it into one pile of cash on the sushi bar and tell the sushi chef to make whatever he feels like serving us ... until the cash runs out! He's a great chef, extremely knowledgeable and usually ends up making us some "special" sushi which is not on the menu (he also slips us a few slices of sashimi to sample). Odd, it seems since we started this tradition, we've started hitting the airport with more and more "left-over" Thai Baht than we used to. :D

Captain
11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
I always thought that stuff was Nasty. With your explanation above I now know it's past-nasty.
I could take a pallet of House Autry and Peanut oil over there and change that whole countries way of eatin'

Thumper
11-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Now now, you need to keep an open mind and experiment. After-all, remember we had Lynn's mom down here eatin' grits & red-eye gravy, fried green 'maters, okra gumbo and "bowled" peanuts last week! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2013, 09:11 AM
There are a few things I like that are in the sushi line, or dang near it. Seared ahi is one of my favorites and its damn near raw. The other is poke (pok-ee), a Hawaiian dish that's usually made with ahi sliced real thin as well. My one and only time at an actual sushi restaurant was in Salt Lake City, of all places. The food was actually pretty tasty but I woke in the middle of the night with a horrible belly ache and ended up missing a day of work because of it and saw nothing but the inside of my hotel room that day. So I'm pretty leery when it comes to the sushi line.

BKB

Thumper
11-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Shortly after meeting Lynn years ago, she invited me over to meet the family. We had a big dinner at her grand-parents house and her grandmother (Baachan in Japanese) did the cooking. Believe it or not, one of her specialties was prime rib! Man-o-man, she made the best in the world! 90% of what was on the table was actually "American" food and the family was really tackling that whole prime rib! BUT .. there was a bowl on the other side of the table that intrigued me ... it was slices of "raw" octopus! I asked about it and was told it's called "tako" and was another of Baachan's specialties although nobody was eating it. I tried a piece and LOVED it. I'd just met the family and didn't want them to know I was a real hog, so I was minding my manners, but I couldn't get enough of that tako! I kept reaching across the table to sneak piece after piece when I thought nobody was looking. Finally, Baachan ... without speaking a word, slowly got up from her chair, picked up the bowl of tako, walked around the table, placed the bowl on front of me and returned to her seat at the head of the table! Everyone totally cracked up and I proceeded to finish that whole damn bowl! After that, ANYTIME I went to dinner over there, Baachan would have a bowl of tako waiting for me!

This is how it would NORMALLY be served as a side... but I'd make a frigging meal of it and eat a huge bowl of the stuff! :D

http://i1.treklens.com/photos/1/tako.jpg

Another one of my favorites is "tako poke" (raw octopus salad). I can wolf down a ton of this stuff!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3284Mf7-RE0/T4n0au8XOcI/AAAAAAAAB_U/OmB4vWFWeng/s1600/TakoPoke.jpg

Chicken Dinner
11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Barry, I'd be a little leery of ordering sushi in Salt Lake City as well...

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Ordinarily, it wouldn't have been an option for me, but it was a business dinner and as the late great Robert Heinlein said "When in Rome, shoot roman candles".

BKB

Thumper
11-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't blame the sushi ... it was prolly the sake! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
May be wine to you, but sake to me!

BKB

Captain
11-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Now now, you need to keep an open mind and experiment. After-all, remember we had Lynn's mom down here eatin' grits & red-eye gravy, fried green 'maters, okra gumbo and "bowled" peanuts last week! ;)

Yea but all that stuff is GOOD! Big difference.

Thumper
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Ha ha! She even took a couple CANS of bowled peanuts home with her for the grandkids to try. TSA stopped her and went through her bag at security, but they let her keep them. :D

Hombre
11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Thump, I'm with you Sushi is fantastic. About once every few weeks I go down to the fish market and pick up some Bluefin and either make Nigiri or Sashimi. My favorite is probably the Nigiri....Rice, lay the Bluefin on top, slice of Jalepeno, slice of avocado, and a touch of Sriacha...

Thumper
11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
At least a FEW people here really know how to eat! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
My God. Hombre has turned into even more of a yuppie. Next thing you know he'll be practicing yoga and going to the country to get his head together.

BKB

Hombre
11-07-2013, 05:49 PM

For Thump!

Hombre
11-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh and BBP bite me! You callin someone a yuppie while sitting on your mansion's deck, eating grapes, overlooking your pool and planning your next $10,000 scuba diving vacation (to get your head straight) is falling on deaf ears :D

Captain
11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Bamb.... :D

Thumper
11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh man Hombre! That looks great ... nice job! Nice "authentic" plates, good looking nigiri sushi and even a ceramic knife to complete the pic! I've never seen or tried it with jalepeno but it seems it would work. Ya' ever tried wrapping a thin strip of nori around the whole thing? Adds a nice touch and a bit of flavor ... but certainly not mandatory.

Dang it! Ya' gots my mouth watering now.

Hombre
11-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Thump I haven't but I will be now :D

Thumper
11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I'll be right over and I'll bring the Sriacha! ;)

Thumper
11-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Thump I haven't but I will be now :D

Actually, it may be a bit of overkill with the cucumber and jalepeno ... but it dresses up the basic nigiri.

Here's one with tako (octopus) and nori ....

http://www.utah-sushi-roll.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/NigiriOctopus-hf.jpg

Hombre
11-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Look fantastic and I'm going to try it this weekend. I fresh caught these Albacore this year and made sushi with them and it was fantastic. 2071

Thumper
11-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Now, ya' can't get any fresher than that! :encouragement:

Captain
11-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Y'all need to move this to the cooking forum.
But since it ain't cooked I guess it needs to go in the fishing bait forum! ;)

Big Muddy
11-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Nice granite countertop, Hombre....looks just like ours....that's a good idea, too, because you won't hurt the countertop, when you are stabbing at that stuff with your blue knife, when it starts, slithering off the platter. ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Is the Octupus raw or pickled? Just curious.

Hombre
11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Bmuddy - I love the granite counter tops....set hot stuff, cut, never seems to bother it. I've had it in my last 2 houses and wouldn't do it diff. at this point.

Big Muddy
11-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Me either. ;)