PDA

View Full Version : Quail hunting legality quershun....

Big Muddy
11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm not a quail hunter, but saw this question on another site, and got me to wondering about the legality of it....the guy asking the question is waiting on a reply from the MDWFP.

Let's say someone buys some pen raised quail, and sets them out, and then shoots them, would that be illegal, since Quail season doesn't open til Nov. 28?

Also, about the limit thing. The limit is 8, but they buy more than 8 and kill them, are they breaking the bag limit???

If a warden checked him, it could be a bad situation.

jb
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I guess it depend, here we have pheasant farms, you can hunt on them about 6 month a year, take both hens and roosters, take as many as you pay for (no limit, no license required)
Our regular pheasant season is less than a month long and is limited to roosters only and then only two a day or 4 in possession.

Hombre
11-14-2013, 11:38 AM
In Oklahoma the answer is yes anytime. you have to have the receipt of a permitted quail farm for proof.

Thumper
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Same as JB said. A group of us used to go out to a Pheasant Farm in Ohio and shoot. They had a zillion acres of fields and would release pen-raised birds. No season restrictions/limits that I can recall.

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I know that's the rule for game preserves in VA, but not sure how it would work for a private citizen. It seems like they're you're property to do with as you please. But, it seems like I'd want to be able to prove it like Hombre mentions.

HideHunter
11-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Depending on state law you may have to buy a preserve license.. have a receipt from a licensed breeder or you may have make application from your state wildlife agency for bands.