PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

jb
11-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Not perfect, but a nice day. Temps warmed up and all our snow melted, made the woods very quiet with the damp leaves. Hardly a sound when you walk, even quieter when the deer do.
Ground is now brown and tree are grays, if you don't see the deer walking they disappear into the background
Got in the ladder stand about sunup, small buck walks by about 9, (we are QDM so it's a min. of 3 pt's on a side), about 10:30 nice doe walks about 30 yd's from me and never knows I"m there.
About noon a really nice buck is nose to the ground on the same trail the doe was, moving fast, can see it's ivory white antlers curved outside it's ears with about 6" stickers coming off main beam, but just cannot see if there are brow tines (eye guards to some of you). Grunt and he stops behind a big beech tree, still can't see it he's legal so have to let him go.
#3 had a cow horn spike come within 20 yd's but no legal buck. Saw about 11 more doe. #3 has a doe tag but usually won't fill it on opening day.
Try again tomorrow.
Here's what it looked like today, blue skies, temps near 50, just not normal deer season weather.

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2013, 07:24 PM
You didn't mention the length of your nap.

BKB

Captain
11-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Why do beach trees grow in the wrong places all the time! In the south we would "ground check" that deer! :D
Take Care, and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
11-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Captain, glad you're feeling better, I'm sure when this is all over you'll be glad you did it.
Can't when I'm hunting with an LEO that's good friends with the DNR :>)

Captain
11-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I didn't know DNR had good friends... :-)
I know my bestious buddy was the head of NC DNR. Go ahead and give me hell...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a nice day in the woods. My oldest and I are all paced and ready to go for our Opener tomorrow.

DeputyDog
11-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Got the truck loaded and clothes laid out. Plan on being in the stand by 6:15 or so in the morning. Legal shooting time is at 7:00, a half hour before sunrise. Supposed to be high 30's in the morning with a high in the mid 50's.