PDA

View Full Version : Meat question

Arty
11-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Gots a question for you fellers. I got that buck cut up and steaks in the freezer. Rest is cubed up for burger and it's sitting in a cooler, lid off, that's sitting in the fridge in my garage (it's cutting into my beer space :) ). Was going to take to a processor but I know that there's a 99.9% chance I won't get MY deer back. I'll get someone else's burger. My brother and his wife are coming in next Sunday night and he said he'd bring his grinder with him. I'm thinking about leaving it in the fridge until then. We'd grind it up nex Monday. My garage fridges stays 32-34 degrees, optimum beer temperature. That cubed meat will be just fine until then won't it. Won't it?

Thumper
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Sure ... like fine, slightly aged venison. :thumbsup

Arty
11-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Thump, my *slight* concern was that it's been cubed up, versus whole muscle, there by possibly introducing bacteria.

Thumper
11-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Heck, the refrigeration should curb most bacteria growth and cooking should knock out any that's there IMHO. You say it's UNcovered ... I think I'd cover it to help prevent drying out, but I seriously doubt you'd have much of a problem with refrigerating meat for a week.

I'm no expert, in fact, know very little about aging, but I do know it's the enzymes in the meat that break it down (aging). I have people swear to me the deer must remain whole to age ... but I have no clue how whole vs cut-up would change the enzyme levels. The only advantage I see to hanging whole is to help prevent drying out. Mind you, this is ALL JMHO.

Heck, Lynn spent years in the food business and I avoid the kitchen like the plague unless it's time to eat, but I do know if she has steak planned for the menu, she always buys it days earlier and lets it set in the fridge for a few days. So, I'm assuming even cut-up super market meat will continue to age if not frozen. As far as I'm concerned, aging is nothing more than "controlled rotting". ;)

That said ... don't listen to me ... I don't handle or cook food ... I just eat it!

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2013, 09:45 AM
I know what you mean. The whole deal with grind at a processor always pissed me off, although I completely understand why they do it the way they do. But when you take extra care to take care of it and then get the duke's mixture it's kind of discouraging.

I imagine it'll do fine for just a week. If you need me to store some of that in my freezer for you, just send it on out.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Arty, I've done, what you are asking about, multiple times with no problems, whatsoever....except, I do it on purpose to age the cubed meat, even more....venison has such little fat content, that I've done this for up to a week and a half....the cubes will get that deep dark rich color, which is a good sign of proper aging.

Leave the container uncovered, and just mix up the cubed meat by hand, about once a day, so it will age evenly throughout your container.

Thumper
11-18-2013, 10:34 AM
See, what do I know? I agree on the aging part ... I just figured leaving it covered would help prevent drying out. So, what's the reason/advantage to leaving uncovered? (not questioning, just trying to learn something).

Buckrub
11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
I think it's ruined.

Bring it to me and I'll dispose of it.

I grind all my deer and shrink wrap it. Nothing is ever added. Easy to do. I got an LEM #12 grinder. Pow. Done. Next I wanna try making summer sausage.

No. Next I want to shoot. Perfect morning. Nothing but squirrels.

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Bucky, get this book if you want to try to make sausage. The sausage makers bible.
'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing' by Rytek Kutas.'

BKB

Big Muddy
11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
See, what do I know? I agree on the aging part ... I just figured leaving it covered would help prevent drying out. So, what's the reason/advantage to leaving uncovered? (not questioning, just trying to learn something).

Thump, the air inside the refrig. can circulate around the meat better, with the cover removed....however, the meat needs to be mixed or stirred about once every 24 hours to keep the meat on top from drying out too much.

Buckrub
11-18-2013, 10:51 AM
The term "sausage" can best be explained by Bwana.

As long as Jimmy Dean is in business I can't imagine trying to turn lean deer into breakfast sausage. But hard or summer sausage....I'll look into that.

Email me that book title. I'll lose this by January.

Thumper
11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Makes sense. I used to put cubed meat in a Tupperware container (sealed) and just shake it up whenever I opened the fridge for any reason. Seems like it'd accomplish the same thing other than the "circulation" part.

Trav
11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Arty, I've done, what you are asking about, multiple times with no problems, whatsoever....except, I do it on purpose to age the cubed meat, even more....venison has such little fat content, that I've done this for up to a week and a half....the cubes will get that deep dark rich color, which is a good sign of proper aging.

Leave the container uncovered, and just mix up the cubed meat by hand, about once a day, so it will age evenly throughout your container.

Thumper you want to dry the meat out that is what concentrates the flavor. When you buy or order a dry aged steak it has lost about 33% of it's weight thereby making it much more flavorful.

Bwana
11-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Don't really see much of a need to age something you plan on grinding. Simply throw it in the freezer and take it out Sunday morning then no concerns though sitting in the fridge shouldn't hurt anything.

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I was going to sugget freezing as well. It's one thing to age a while steer that been slaughtered in a facility. It's a whole different thing to age chunks of venison that got dragged home and butchered on the family picnic table.

Arty
11-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I did not think it was a good idea to freeze, thaw, then freeze any meat. Regardless of what kind.
Or am I crazy?

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I think that's just an issue with drying the meat out. For fresh killed venison, I don't think it would be an issue. It might also feed through your grinder easier if it's like a quarter of the way still frozen.

Bwana
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Freezing won't hurt it a bit, IMHO.

LJ3
11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Butchers do it all the time... dry aging. Lets the enzymes break things down a little more. Of course, that assumes you ain't done shot a CWD deer.

Buckrub
11-18-2013, 05:36 PM
I need to contract a small case of CWD.

Captain
11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
I need to contract a small case of CWD.

That's funny. I'm right there, I'm with you on that! I could use a small dab of it myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

FooBang
11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
I found a good butcher in NJ that strictly gives you back only your deer. They're all-around good people and I'm glad I found them. A good butcher is a blessing.

--Foo

Arty
11-20-2013, 05:43 PM
I found a good butcher in NJ that strictly gives you back only your deer. They're all-around good people and I'm glad I found them. A good butcher is a blessing. --Foo

You are lucky to have one. I'm just gonna break down and buy a grinder one day then I won't have to worry with it.
Until then, I'll have my brother haul his to me on his trip in for Thanksgiving!

Big Muddy
11-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Arty, grinders are on sale at Cabelas....I bought one a few years ago, and can't tear it up....it'll go thru 40 pounds of venison so fast, it'll make your head spin....got a sausage stuffer, meat mixer, and meat slicer from 'em, too....good products.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=grinders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&x=0&y=0

Arty
11-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Dang. That's affordable! Imma have to look closer at that!
You say their good for the long haul?
Now I got something else to put on my Christmas list!!!

Buckrub
11-21-2013, 09:41 AM
If I'm no mistaken, and I might be, those are rebranded LEM's. Same price though.

I have the # 12.....3/4 horse. Awesome.

Big Muddy
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Mine is about 6 years old, and I've never had to even replace the cutting blade.

Arty
11-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Good deal here but I'm not a club member.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Commercial-Grade-12-hp-Electric-Grinder/744936.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FrecordsPerPag e%3D18%26No%3D0%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt% 3DGrinder%26search%3DSearch&No=0&Ntt=Grinder