PDA

View Full Version : Trip report - the Boys

Bwana
11-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Given my boys failed to draw tags for our home unit, they had to settle for doe tags in the area we hunt turkeys. Since the wife and I had buck tags we spent the opening weekend back home so this past Saturday morning it was the their turn.

Short version:
- both boys had their does down by mid-morning.
- the youngest one continues his streak of one shot per deer. The streak is now at 4.
- the oldest boy learned a lesson about shot placement and how much difference a couple of inches can make.
- the above resulted in a number of lessons learned including a bit about tracking and how tough deer are.
- by Saturday afternoon the boys had them hung in the shop and skinned out so they were cooled and ready to butcher after church on Sunday morning.
- fresh cubed tenderloins combined with broccoli, shrimp, and angel hair pasta topped with alfredo sauce makes a great supper. :)

I am a bad dad as I forgot to get pictures of the youngest with his deer as he took care of it all and drug it to the road all by himself while I was locating a doe for the oldest boy. Here are a few pictures and a video from the oldest boy's deer though.

Thumper
11-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Video???

Congrats all around!

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Way to go!

Bwana
11-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Thumper, thought I could simply click the fancy "load a video" button to post the video just like you do a picture but instead it looks like the video needs to go onto a website like youTube first and I don't have such an account.

Sorry.

Arty
11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Congrats to all!

Buckrub
11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
"Drawing a tag" in one's own state.....here the Capitol would be burnt to the ground. ..congrats to them....you've really done this right...

jb
11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
You now have a freezer full of some good stuff, what's left on your tags??
Nice to see the boys successful.

Bwana
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks all.

As for tags left, I have a muzzleloader buck tag and the boys & I all have our fall turkey tags left. Plan on doing some more pheasant hunting yet before it is all over and maybe a late goose hunt too. Going to have to get after the coyotes too...plus I need to call the gent I know with coon hounds and give that a go again too.

So much to do and so little time.

Captain
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Sweet! Them them congrats from me!
Having surgery in hunting sux... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Congrats to the lads....and the Dad.
That whole tag drawing thing sounds foreign to this ol' Southern Boy, but different states do things differently.

Hey, is that the entry or the exit wound? What kindof bullet was he shooting? From the looks of that pic, is should have been bang/flop/dead. Maybe it's a little higher than it looks in the pic?

Bwana
11-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Entry or exit wound? = yes You are actually seeing the exit side of his initial shot which was to the upper left front leg. That shot broke the leg and opened up a hole in the bottom of the brisket but did not put the deer down. The hole in the shoulder is the entry shot that finished it off once we caught up to it.

He is shooting 130 gr Hornady SST bullets at 3165 fps out of his 270.