PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws.....

Big Muddy
11-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Like comparing Fords, Chebbies, and Dodges, I would imagine that everyone has their personal favorites, when it comes to chainsaws.

After thinning out some of my timber, there's tons of beautiful firewood, just laying on the ground....all red and white oak.

After cutting firewood, every August, all my life, I converted my fireplace to gas logs, and swore I'd never cut firewood, ever again.

Well, my son saw the opportunity to make some extra cash, so he decided to start cutting and selling the firewood.

Problem is, his old Husqvarna chainsaw, handed down to him from my Dad, just sucks....so, I thought I'd help him out, since his birthday is next week, and buy him a new chainsaw.

Every piece of equipment that I own is Stihl....from weedeaters to yard blowers to pole saws and chainsaws....my local John Deere dealer handles everything that Stihl makes, and is great with all parts and service.

Any suggestions, from you GH woodsmen, about any chainsaw that you think might be better than a Stihl???

jb
11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I have a 30 year old Echo, but if I need a new one I'll buy a Stihl.

Captain
11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a Husqvarna that is some kinda dependable and a real cutter. We also have 2 stihl's and they are just as good. Don't think you will go wrong either way. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
11-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Stihl is the benchmark for all saws.
But I have an Echo and it'll cut all day long and start with 2 pulls wether it's been sitting 2 months or 2 minutes.

Running no ethanol gas using synthetic mixing oil helps IMHO

Arty
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Matter of fact all day two Saturdays ago cutting up wood for the annual Thanksgiving FirePit fest we have. We will go through a LOT of wood next week! It's the gathering place all week long. Lots of stories will be told, mostly lies. Lots of adult beverages will be drank, and a new twist this year - I have 200 fresh Chesapeake oysters to pick up on Monday. Were gonna roast those suckers down on the pit.
YUM!!!

Fido
11-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Noticed those TV shows about people living in Alaska all seem too have Stihl saws. Got 2 of them myself.

Thumper
11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Well dang! I should'a thunked to hit youse dufes up first. A few months ago, I bought a huge box of new chainsaw blades from a warehouse sale that was liquidating the assets of some outdoor power tool place of some sort. I prolly had 50 blades here at one time and they sold on eBay like hotcakes! I only have two models left (4 packages) and both fit some Stihl models (as well as some other brands). They are new and still in the factory packaging. All were Oregon ... I have ONE L62 Oregon 16"/41cm blade left and THREE PS50 (PowerSharp) Oregon 14"/36cm blades left. I'll let youse dufes have 'em for $15.00 each if'n ya' wants 'em. Note: the PS50 has a "built in" sharpening stone. (Although it only leaves me a few bucks profit, I'll even pay the shipping ... and they're kind'a heavy!) Let me know.

Thumper
11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Well dang! There's a magnifying thingy on eBay, but here, ya' can't see the back panel of the L62. It says it fits Stihl 025, 025C, MS230, MS230C-BE, MS250, MS250C & MS250C-BE.

jb
11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Thump, see if the 16" fits an Echo 351VL. if it does I'll take it., I can't read the back of the package as posted.

jb
11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Oh well thanks anyway.

Niner
11-22-2013, 05:35 PM
I have a 16" Husquvarna and a 12" Echo (arborist) chain saws.

Our house has a heat pump. We have a fireplace insert stove that we run just about every night in the winter to keep the HP from turning on.

The Husky has been a very good saw and has cut up a ton of firewood in the ~12 years I've owned it.
The little Echo is sweet for cutting up smaller stuff like the limbs or stuff up to about 5" or so. It's handle is on the top as opposed to most saws that have the handle behind the engine.
:chainsaw

Buckrub
11-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Keep ethanol out of it and the chain sharp, and most all of em are decent weekend saws.

Only loggers I ever knew used Stihl.

You asked if any were better. I think some are as good in some circumstances. And for sure cheaper. But better?
None.

Big Muddy
11-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Since we're talking chain saws....The only problem with my son's Husqvarna is the chain oiler doesn't work.

I know nothing about a Husky....so, do any of you Husky owners know a fix for it???

Niner
11-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Is it an automatic oiler?
If so, maybe its as simple as the hole is plugged with sawdust??

Niner
11-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Ed, no idea which model you have...so I took a stab in the dark.
Here's some info on cleaning out the oil tank on a Husky....something I've NEVER even thought about on mine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6599554_change-oil-husqvarna-455-rancher.html