PDA

View Full Version : BGE Smoky Goodnesssssss.......

Niner
11-28-2013, 08:44 AM
I put a Butterball Turkey Breast on the BGE yesterday, and gave it the smoky treatment.
ALL I did to it beforehand, besides thaw it out, was to sprinkle it with some Penzey's Bicentennial Rub.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysbicentennial.html

I put it on the EGG in a little porcelain baking pan that I found stuffed up in the cabinet that hadn't been used in ages. When the breast got to about 165°, I tented it with some foil.

Then I screwed-up and sat down in my recliner for just a minute. Woke up about an hour later and it was right at 200°! I thought, it was overdone and ruined. Not the case at all! We had it last night, as the big fambly Thanksgiving get together is over at my Mom's today.

Turned out to be really good. That Bicentennial Rub worked its way throughout the breast and every bite had just a hint of smoke and spice. :rockon

I'll be doing this again sometime soon. Can't wait to try it with a roasting hen too!
I need to TRY getting away from pork anyway......at least that's what my doc says. :)

LJ3
11-28-2013, 09:15 AM
IF there are no picture, this did not occur :)

My turkey treats are getting ready to go to Lucia's parents house, our house then my sisters house and the whole dang house smells like smoky goodness. I'm drooling!

Chicken Dinner
11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Sounds good, but I'm with Len on the pictures..,

Buckrub
11-28-2013, 10:57 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Funny/Thread_Pix_zpsbf023dc4.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Funny/Thread_Pix_zpsbf023dc4.jpg.html)

Thumper
11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Lynn smoked a rack of ribs last night and I just ate the last one for a little "breakfast snack"! Man-o-man, they were fall-off-the-bone perfect! No high bucks grill or fancy Nancy Boy stuff ... just a little ol' cheap Weber with charcoal and hickory chips on one side and the ribs on the other. Oh, I helped too ... I lit the charcoal! ;)

Going to spend today with friends and he's making two turkeys, one baked and one fried.

Buckrub
11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
A secret you non cooks and perfectionist Yuppie Grillmasters probably can't abide.........

You can make dang edible pork ribs without a lot of effort. Yeah, effort helps. But you don't even have to go outside. Just cut off the back membrane, the 'flap', sprinkle a little liquid smoke on 'em, wrap 'em in alum foil and bake in the oven at 350 for a while. No, not true smoked ribs, and not 'best I ever had'. But dadgum edible when you have no time.

You can also cook 'em on indirect heat on a grill (NOT same as smoking meat), in less time, and then wrap in foil and bake a while at low temps and they're great.

What the world calls "BBQ"........I am very much NOT a chauvinist or prejudiced. I like 'em all. But some are slightly better'n others, yeah.

Thumper
11-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I guess that's what she did ... "indirect heat". We don't have a smoker ... but I've had plenty of smoked meat and I can't tell the difference. It was low heat and the wood chips made lots of smoke ... as far as I'm concerned ... they were smoked! :D

Bucky, my dad used to make ribs in the oven like that ... OR, he'd basically cook them in the oven, then throw 'em on the grill for a short while to finish 'em off.

Niner
11-28-2013, 01:51 PM
LOL!! I thought about taking a pic.........but......it was nuthin' but scraps at that point. :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2013, 06:18 PM
We had a turkey emergency at 6:00 this morning. The turkey that has been thawing in the garage fridge was still frozen when I took it out this morning to put it on the BGE. So off too our local grocery and luckily found a fresh bird (yes, the difference is amazing!). Lit the Egg, put a pizza stone on the grill, and put the turkey in roasting pan on the stone. Just rubbed her down with EVOO and used a simple kosher salt and black pepper rub. Got that egg locked in on 350 and by 11:30 it was at a awesome 165 internal temp. Juiciest bird I've made in a long time and just a hint of smoke, just a friggin smidge. Because the wife and daughter have to work tonight so the idiots who shop today can save money on the crap they buy, we got it all on the table at noon. Had all the chicks in the nest but the Colorado girl and I've been missing her bad today.

Happy Thanksgiving!
BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Gettin' ready to carve this bad boy right now...

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Now you're talkin'!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Bucky, what you're describing is what I call "cheater" ribs. Like you, I'll do cheater ribs or even a cheater butt in the crock pot. More typically for a butt I'll throw it in the smoker for a few hours and finish in the crockpot when I'm pressed for time. Definitely not the best, but better than no pork at all. I draw the line at liquid smoke though. There's just something chemically about it that turns me off big time. If I see it on the ingredient list of a recipe or label, I immediately move on.

Arty
11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree with you on the liquid smoke CD.
I can tell when it's been used in a recipe. Just something about it that turns me off.
But to each his own. Pork is pork and if I was forced to eat it I guess I would.
If I was hungry.
And I typically am.

BarryBobPosthole
11-29-2013, 01:40 PM
I think that's why I'm not a big fan of hickeory wood for smoking. The taste reminds me of liquid smoke.

I much prefer pecan or even oak makes a decent smoke. I've been branching out more (pun intended) and tried some fruit tree wood like cherry amd apple. Can't say as I'm a big fan so far.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2013, 02:09 PM
My Mrs. finds hickory too strong for her tastes. So, I do almost all my pork with apple wood. I keep some cherry around and use it mostly on fish. Beef is usually pecan. The BGE brand lump us usually a mic if oak and hickory and a little of the smoke flavor usually comes through.

Big Muddy
11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Believe it or not, but I've even used dry crepe myrtle branches for smoking....got a big pile of all kinds of wood and branches behind the house from various yard trimmings and clean-up jobs around the house.

I draw the line, however, at pine shavings from Sandy's pen and dried monkey grass. ;););)

Buckrub
12-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Well I like a little of it.

I took a vacation yesterday and cooked on the camp smoker all afternoon while watching the SEC screw itself out of the championship game.

made ground deer meat Jerky for three hours, then put on freshly dead deer ham for only 4 hours. Seasoning and in a pan of apple juice. Never had luck smoking deer hams. This was larrupin. Got a cool temperature fork thingy. Took it off when internal temp was 153. We wuz hongry.

Thumper
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me ... Lynn had those ribs on a cookie sheet when grilling them. Does that make 'em more smoked than "indirect heat on a grill"? Sure tasted smoked to me.