PDA

View Full Version : Thump -I missed out on my big ebay sale.

HideHunter
11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm running a few traps on the river and the other day I stopped by a big drift pile and was looking at some otter sign. I found another kind of sign. Half-buried I saw something that said "Oil Company" so I started digging in a busting off limbs. Came up with a sign from the "Gargoyle Vacuum Oil Company". It was very heavy material, maybe 18"x24", painted on both sides with the logo. My BIL has a big shop were he restores cars so I thought he might want it for the wall. Ran into him before I even got a pic or a chance to look it up.. Should have looked. :crybaby Man, what people will pay for junk. :hair

Thumper
11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Yep, BIG money these days in any petroliana (the official term used for that kind'a stuff). Those old (authentic) Gargoyle signs will bring $400-$500 even when a bit beat up. What makes a big difference in that type stuff is if it's double-sided. Also, the old ones are porcelain ... the reproductions are painted. Cool find ...

I ran across a double-sided Pennzoil sign (from the 70's if I remember correctly) a while back and bought it for $3.00 ... it sold for $285!