PDA

View Full Version : All I want for Christmas...

Penguin
12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
... is a shirt. :)

Lol, broke the news to my family while I was home for Thanksgiving. Told 'em I was tired of having my family out there trying to figure out what you buy for a guy like me who is, admittedly, very difficult to shop for. Told 'em I was fed up with folks spending hard earned money on a dude who really doesn't need a thing. Told 'em that I spent 2 days last spring getting 3 contractor bags filled with nice clothes that I had never worn and taking it to Goodwill. Have no intention of doing it again.

So I picked out one shirt. Never had a really nice flannel shirt before. Bought it, washed it, had it tailored. Wrapped it up and told mom to take up any donations that anyone wanted to contribute.

~whew~

Now I can concentrate on getting ready for the really important thing, the best tasting Christmas dinner in the eastern US. If my mom, a master in mountain cooking, and my wife, one of the Butterball Turkey Talk Line ladies, can't put a spread in front of you that would pickle Emeril green with envy then there it would be the first time. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
We stopped all gift giving in my immediate family about five years ago. Now we just buy for grandkids and its made a huge difference in how we celebrate Christmas. Mucho better! And tastier too! I have a huge six rib roast in the freezer now that will be our Christmas dinner.

BKB

Penguin
12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Cool. Tbh I'd prefer no presents but know my wife and family would rebel.

It is amazing how getting things simplified can improve them isn't it? Heard several folks got killed on black friday while shopping. We have no sense of irony in this country.

Will

LJ3
12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Cool. Tbh I'd prefer no presents but know my wife and family would rebel.

It is amazing how getting things simplified can improve them isn't it? Heard several folks got killed on black friday while shopping. We have no sense of irony in this country.

Will

What I find puzzling is that it's always a friggin Wal-Mart that has people getting trampled to death. Should we be surprised? Can you image someone being trampled at Cabelas? Macys? WTF people?

Sorry, not my nicest or most sensitive post of the year but I just shake my head at our behavior sometimes.

Penguin
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Roger that.

Man... finding your trampled corpse lying face down while your hands are clutching some walmart peddled imported doodad? Gotta be about the worst way to go.

Will

Thumper
12-03-2013, 11:39 AM
It's been so long I can't even remember when we quit giving gifts for Christmas, anniversaries OR birthdays. If we really WANT something, we buy it WHEN we want/need it. If we can't afford it during the year ... why would we magically be able to afford it at Christmastime or some other "special date"? For Lynn and me ... going out to a nice dinner is always on our birthday/anniversary wish list. Even that would sound odd to some as we still have to watch the budget. Our favorite restaurant in the world is Texas de Brazil and we get a BYGO offer in our email for birthdays and anniversaries. We also "cheat" a bit as we signed her mom up using Lynn's work email and celebrate her "mom's" birthday by treating ourselves. :D

Bwana
12-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I would love to do away with getting something for every Tom, Dick, & Harry at Christmas time. Limit it to the kids and even then, they don't need a pickup load of gifts each. All this spending crap is just plain dumb.

Bah humbug!

jb
12-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Our family is still pretty traditional in Christmas gifts. Our kids draw names between the 6 of them and the grandkids do the same. They also provide a list of want items in the price range, that way everyone is happy.
We limit three gifts per family member, also drawn from a gift list, 4x15 makes a great Christmas morning. It's watching the grand kids that's the most fun.
Wife and I exchange one large gift and a couple of small items, this year she wanted heated seats for her SUV, she's buying me remote start for my pickup.
Christmas is a big thing around our house, always has been, gifts, then a big meal, and then just hanging out .

quercus alba
12-03-2013, 08:45 PM
my boys are just starting to make good money and they want to spend a fortune on stuff I don't need or want. It makes them happy and I have to act like I like it so they won't be disappointed. The burden of being a parent

HideHunter
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
... . Bought it, washed it, had it tailored. Wrapped it up and told mom to take up any donations that anyone wanted to contribute.
Will

Had it tailored? I've never owned a tailored shirt. I'd have been a good candidate... 30 years ago. ;) Had a 44" chest and a 32" waist.. Now I'd have to have it tailored the other direction. :)

By the way Cap'n.. I'm sitting here nursing on a little Birddog Blackberry.. Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

Captain
12-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm doing the exact same thing!
This good ain't it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM
During my 3+ years in beautiful S.E. Asia, the only clothes I could get were tailor made ... even my shoes. The problem was, if I gained 6 ounces, they (the clothes) didn't fit anymore! It really wasn't much of a problem back then ... nowadays, I'd have to be fitted for a whole new wardrobe every 30 days or so! :(

Penguin
12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Had it tailored? I've never owned a tailored shirt. I'd have been a good candidate... 30 years ago. ;) Had a 44" chest and a 32" waist.. Now I'd have to have it tailored the other direction. :)

By the way Cap'n.. I'm sitting here nursing on a little Birddog Blackberry.. Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

Lol, it really isn't an option unless they have a very specific size. I am about a 48 XLong. A regular XL is too narrow in the shoulders and short in the sleeves. A regular XXL is WAY too large in the waist. So unless I can get my exact size I just buy a XXL and have 4 to 6 inches cut out of the waist. I still like clothes loose but not to where a basketball could fit between me and the shirt. :)

It really doesn't cost that much either. I've learned that I will wear a good fitting shirt to death and leave nicer ones that don't fit as well unworn. I suspect that's not too uncommon though.

Will

Thumper
12-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Send the extra material they cut out to me! I'll have a tailor ADD it to the waist area on my shirts. I'm kind'a "pear-shaped" these days. :(

airbud7
12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
my boys are just starting to make good money and they want to spend a fortune on stuff I don't need or want. It makes them happy and I have to act like I like it so they won't be disappointed. The burden of being a parent

Lucky Man right there^