PDA

View Full Version : What 22 below looks like

Bwana
12-09-2013, 06:45 PM
As mentioned in Posthole's post, I tried finding a buck to put my muzzleloader tag on this past Saturday but to no avail. Not only in 22 below zero F cold, but it is so cold it makes the snow squeak which makes sneaking up on deer a waste of time. Did get up on 2 different doe/fawn pairs but again, nothing with horns.

In addition to the squeaky snow, I also learned that at that temperature trees will make a LOUD popping sound. I assume it might have something to do with the moisture in the tree expanding but not really sure. It wasn't that they all did it but i heard it probably a dozen times in the 3 hours I was out.

Anyway, here is what I looked like when I made it back to the pickup. (By the way the face mask is snow camp, not completely white)

Another lesson I learned was to let your face mask thaw out before ripping it off as the condensation and snot welds your beard to the mask. Can you say OUCH?!

Thumper
12-09-2013, 06:54 PM
All I can say is youse Yankee dufes just ain't right! Did you know we have no "Iron Curtain" here in the U.S? You're free to cross state lines ya' know. ;)

Are your eyeballs glued shut also?

Bwana
12-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Not quite, could still see well enough to shoot if the need arose. :)

Thumper
12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
DUDE! That just ain't right! ;)

Big Muddy
12-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Looks like a couple of your toofies got froze, and are falling out, too. ;)

Did you make it home in that truck???....had to ask, 'cause that looks like a Z71 in the background. ;););)

Captain
12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
That was the only good decision he made that day! Was to drive something dependable. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DeputyDog
12-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I've learned a good indication that it's pretty damn cold is when your lip can't move because the snot has frozen in your moustache.

Penguin
12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been there myself bwana. Been a while but I've been there. Now I consider anything below zero chilly, but not always. :)

Sitting out in anything below freezing all day is a chore. Below 20 is a real chore. Below zero for an hour or two is double tough. I'm not sure folks who have never done it can understand how the cold works you over. The slightest breeze can cut right through you if you aren't prepared for it. Hat tip from me brother.

Will

Chicken Dinner
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Maybe I'm a bit weird, but I really like to get out in challenging weather conditions and "experience" it if for no other reason than to say I have. I've never been out in that kind of cold, but we did have a night of -3 or so. I strapped on my gear and went for a hike. (My Mrs. thought I was crazy.) I remember sking when the wind chill at the top of the mountain was -73 and that was memorable as well.

BarryBobPosthole
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
One of the lessons I learned from ice fishing with my Minnesota brothers in -30 weathers: When peeing 'Grab it by the shank!'

You're welcome.

BKB

Thumper
12-10-2013, 01:00 PM
One of the lessons I learned from ice fishing with my Minnesota brothers in -30 weathers: When peeing 'Grab it by the shank!'

You're welcome.

BKB

When peeing in -30 degree weather ... how do you find the dang thing in the first place? :huh

Bwana
12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Thump, when it is that cold you need to tie a string on it prior to going out.

Thumper
12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Or, in MY case, a ROPE! :D

Buckrub
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Have you people never read the US Constitution? Did you not realize that free travel between the states is allowed?

hotshot
12-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I remember from my youth delivering newspapers that my eyelashes would freeze shut on occasion necessitating pinching the ice off with frozen fingers.
I too enjoy layering up and heading out. This weekend, Luke and I got in one last duck hunt on open water. The air was 16 degrees. Water froze instantly to the decoy bills. My waders.... waders, not wadders... waders, froze solid on the 5 minute drive back to the house. I stood them up on the porch for fun. We saw so many birds and so many different species, but got no shots. Late season birds are crafty suckers. This weekend we are planning to ice fish, with goose decoys out just in case we get a few birds to fly over.
Great pic and I am impressed with your fortitude.

johnboy
12-11-2013, 03:34 PM
The coldest I've ever experienced and never need to experience again, was in Cold Lake Alberta (aptly named) around 1976 or so and was -43c (-45.4f). Just a tad chilly.

Also, the record for the coldest temp ever recorded on earth was recently set in Antarctica at -136f (-93c). Wow!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131210-coldest-place-on-earth-antarctica-science/

Sure glad we have global warming going on or it would be getting really cold. :D