PDA

View Full Version : Notice to users

Captain
12-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm sure Foo or Niner can give better details but as you know the site was hacked sometime back. Some group out of Egypt. Foo found viruses on over 250 files here.
All passwords were exposed and probably stolen.
SO....
If you use the same password on other places as you use here you should go to those places and change your password.
They were using our site to get into your computer and sending information from your system back.
Carry On...
Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
That's a good question for Foo,, as he is up to date on how this stuff is done. At the least, I'd make sure your virus definitions are up to date and that you have secure passwords.

BKB

FooBang
12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
If you use the same password that you use here on any other site, then change those passwords. There is no evidence that they cracked our database, but they had access to do so, so i would consider your password compromised. The actual password is not stored, but unless it is really, really, really (really) good, then they can figure out what it was.

--Foo

BarryBobPosthole
12-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Maybe they hacked your water meter Sunshine.

BKB

Buckrub
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Foo, almost every reply I make to any post, it says "Nope, you gotta wait 30 seconds" even if I haven't posted anything in an hour. It THINKS I just posted.

That makes a duplicate post. Then when I try to go in and delete one of them, it won't delete either one.

LJ3
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Maybe they hacked your water meter Sunshine.

BKB

BOOM! :)

Back in August I had a bad chunk of malware (bad shit) on my computer. I run regular scans with multiple tools so I found it quickly. I can't say for sure but it's likely this is how I got it.

Go to some of these sites and download their free version of their software. It's better than nothing and can't hurt you.

Superantispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CKDx-IbwursCFcQDOgodXjUABw

That will get you started. With free version you won't have the ability to automatically schedule them and they'll try to get you to buy the pay version but you don't need it unless you want the extra features. If you've never paid attention to this stuff, ASSUME YOU ARE INFECTED WITH VIRUSES AND MALWARE because I'll bet you Cap's retirement you are.

The only machine in my house that hasn't been infected with malware at some point is my Mac.

BarryBobPosthole
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I was gonna say, do that, or get a Mac.

BKB

Captain
12-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Yep no issues with my Mac.
That thing has been the most rock solid, no problem computer ever. I'll NEVER own another PC.

Captain
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Sunny, that is kinda a common Forum Runner issue. I see that a lot. But if you just cancel the edit from that point if you will notice the editing you did actually happened. Even though you got that message.
This has happened to me many time since I've had Forum Runner for the past couple of years.
Are you saying you have never seen this message until now?