PDA

View Full Version : Root Canal

Buckrub
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I do NOT mean to even come close to comparing this to the pain Thump, Cappy, and Niner go through or have gone through.

But with that said MY GOSH THIS FLIPPING HURT!! Last night was awful. I cried most of the night, like a little girl. Popped Percocet like candy, with 3 Ibuprofen each time, and snorted antibiotics, and lay there with a heat pack on my jaw all night. WOWZERS that hurt.

I don't know if it's better today or if I'm just higher than a kite. Still dizzy, nauseaus which I can't spell, but the pain is down to a dull roar.

And I still have to get a crown on it.

I continue to disrecommend this procedure to anyone. Besides the pain, the 2 hour ordeal with all these contraptions in my mouth, couldn't swallow, couldn't move........was a bit disconcerting.

I guess these are common, but that was my first one............and probably last!

HideHunter
12-19-2013, 09:58 PM
I'll be danged. Had one in September and never even took an aspirin.

Captain
12-19-2013, 10:37 PM
I've had 5 root canals and one implant, which a root canals has to be done first. I've never had a problem with them hurting. They remove the root so there is no pain there. I do remember some soreness. Are you sure he did the root canal on the right tooth?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
12-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Dude... if you had a root canal, you should NOT be in pain anymore. The nerve should be completely and totally drilled out and numb. There should be some pain from all the pushing, pulling, prodding and whatnot but it should be NOTHING compared to how it felt before the root canal. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Something ain't right. Dry socket or maybe an infection around the toofe.

Thumper
12-20-2013, 07:01 AM
My dentist is a friend and fishing buddy. He has a VERY nice ocean-going boat (twin 300's) and a flats boat. He also spends his vacations hunting/fishing Alaska. Luckily, he only lives about 5 mins. from me and is always looking for a fishing partner! :D

Anyway, I have a check-up every 6 months and the last time in, he found a cavity right between a wisdom tooth and the one in front of it. He said he would have to extract the wisdom tooth in order to gain access to fill the damaged tooth. Now, I was told (while in the Army), my wisdom teeth (all of them) needed to be removed because they were growing in facing forward and they'd crowd my other teeth forcing them out of line. They didn't bother me at all, but I remember seeing the x-rays and it was very obvious. Well, I guess I pressed my luck because I really didn't have a problem until 55 years later ... so it's time to face the music. (I've never had a tooth pulled before and a "root canal" just plain SOUNDED scary!) But, I had no choice. He gave me all the particulars ... said I "may" need a root canal ... said the wisdom tooth may break into pieces while trying to dig it out, etc etc etc. I have to admit, not liking dentist visits anyway and never having ANY dental work in my life other than regular check-ups, cleaning and filling a few cavities ... I was a bit nervous.

The big day came and I dreaded it! I'll tell you what ... it was a piece of cake! I'd rather have a tooth PULLED than to have one filled! A couple shots of novocaine and he gave it a few "wiggles" ... pulled ... and it came right out. None of the hammering and chiseling, etc. that I was imagining. Like HideHunter, I never so much as took an aspirin. Actually, the "positive" experience made me kick myself in the butt for never having it done in the military as it would have been FREE! :(

My dentist does EVERYTHING himself. Even makes his own crowns and dentures, etc. He gave me the option of going to an oral surgeon for the root canal if needed, or letting him do it for a LOT less money. I have to admit, that made me a bit nervous ... "discount" dental work? (but I trust him and he's been my dentist/friend for 20+ years)

Luckily, I didn't need the root canal and have never had one, but he promised me it would not have been a big deal and I most likely wouldn't have had any pain to speak of afterwards other than a little bit of gum soreness or maybe a sore jaw from having my mouth open for so long. ('Course, I'd already threatened to drill holes in the hull of both his boats if he hurt me!)

Sumpin' just don't seem right about what you're going through Bucky. Granted, I've never had a RC ... but going by what my dentist told me and what the others have said above ... you're either a wimp ... or you got screwed! :D

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 09:28 AM
I haveto agree with Len. When I had my one and only root canal, the relief was immediate. I was a little bruised and sore but nowhere near needing pain meds, not even aspirin.

I think you have another problem he didn't fix.

BKB

Captain
12-20-2013, 09:35 AM
I think he did the root canal on the wrong tooth if you are hurting that bad...

Captain
12-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Maybe his aim was off. Sorta like aiming at the shoulder of a deer and shooting off a horn is one way of looking at it. :D

Thumper
12-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe his aim was off. Sorta like aiming at the shoulder of a deer and shooting off a horn is one way of looking at it. :D

Or in P-hole's case ... his nutsack! ;)

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, once again you folks are not good at advice.

I just called Doc cause it is some less, but still hurting. He said some folks go 10 days. He said 3 days is normal, and the wife has had 3 of these and said 4 days was about normal for her. He said a rare few stop hurting in a matter of hours, most go a few days.

I'm ready, is all I know.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Yep, he's right. We're all wrong. Sorry to try to help. I must be one of the rare few who stopped hurting the second he drilled that nerve out. Nice to know I'm rare!

PS...your dentist is a quack if he believes that is true of root canals.

BKB

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Well.. I'm used to being wrong. I had my last one done by a guy who does nothing else.. no fillings, no crowns, no nothing. He told me the biggest reason root canals get such a bad rap is it's hard to get them deadened right in the first place. Like posthole.. the one and only 'tooth ache" I ever had in my life - ended as in *immediately* with the root canal. Sorry you're having such a tough time. Good luck.

Thumper
12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, I got curious and dug around a bit ... here's sumpin' from a question/answer thingy on the net. (Just Bucky's usual luck!)

The tooth's nerves are removed, so I won't feel any pain.

Many people believe that once they have had root canal treatment, they will no longer feel pain in the treated tooth. This, however, is incorrect. The tooth will no longer be sensitive to hot or cold food or beverages. But for a few days after treatment, the area around the tooth can be sensitive. If this happens to you, your dentist can prescribe a medicine to reduce inflammation.

I don't know if "sensitive" equates to what Bucky's describing ... but maybe he has a low pain tolerance. 'Course, aspirin or ibuprofen is what's best for inflammation ain't it? ;)

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Yes, and they offered a stronger anti-inflammatory.

Y'all sound like a bunch of hens talking to a pregnant girl. "You're carrying that one high, it must be a boy".....as if imposing YOUR experiences on others is a valid argument.

He's not a quack, and he's one of the most respected Endodontists in our backward little state.

The tooth itself doesn't hurt, not where it did. it's still sensitive to touch at the top some. The pain is mostly in jaw. I assume it's due to him drilling, wrangling, standing on his head to clean out the abscess. It's like I got punched in the jaw and it's sore.

But more and more, I am wondering why I bother having discussions here with my friends. There is little I say that I don't get hammered on for being wrong. I'm even wrong to claim I have tooth pain, because I shouldn't have any.

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 02:49 PM
rotflmao.. :laughing I'm sorry.. that one just cracked me up.. didn't you just say we were wrong because our teeth "didn't* hurt? (I guess you actually said we "are not good at advice". I've never had one abscessed. Maybe that's the difference. Again, hope it's better.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 02:50 PM
That's what he said.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Man, stop dwelling on that day'um toof....h3ll yeah, we've all had frigging tooth pain, and it's some bad sheeit, for sure....we sympathize with you....no sheeit, we really do.

But, try to do something to get your mind off it....it'll do you good to get outta the house and get some fresh air....get yo azz moving around!!!

Take some of those strong-azz drugs, and walk out in the yard and take a piss....h3ll, if you fall, wifey will come pick your azz up....at least, I reckon she would. ;););)

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Good idea, and I already did that. Going back to shop to piddle.

Big Muddy
12-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Well,.........there ya go !!!!!! ;););)

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll bet there's some cooking oil that needs to be run through that recycler. that oughta take your mid off of it for a while.

Or maybe a piece of peanut brittle.

BKB

LJ3
12-20-2013, 03:25 PM
You could have helped us out here and started with "I'm a pussy" :)

I was just concerned for you is all. Teef pain is awful.

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm a pussy.

Mother actually made peanut brittle and sent it over with my wife. I have stared at it for hours. Torture.

Big Muddy
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm a pussy.

Mother actually made peanut brittle and sent it over with my wife. I have stared at it for hours. Torture.

Since you mentioned pussy....try nibbling of some of that, instead of the peanut brittle. ;)

I bet that will take your mind off your toof. ;)

I heard it's a good cure for swelling, too....oh wait, scratch that....actually, it'll make "things" swell. ;)

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Well... that conversation just took a decided turn. I had to click back to see if I was on the "root canal" or the "good-ass lunch" thread. :smileinbox

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:29 PM
You had a root canal, but not an abscessed tooth?

??????

Was this after some lost bet?

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Maybe I don't totally understand the terminology. Both my root canals have been as the result of cracks in my teeth. There was the tiniest bit of infection in one (the tooth ache) - the other only mind-numbingly sensitive to hot and cold. So - if either of those describes an abscess.. I had one. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 04:46 PM
My one was done because of exactly what HH had. Cracked toofer.

BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Aha.

I now have an abscessed brain. GoodHunting is the infection.

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Well, I have the longest canals on that tooth imaginable. They looked freakish on the Xray. And both canals were abscessed all the way down to the bottom. Digging that out, and then packing with 'filling' material, is probably why I'm so sore.

I want to change the subject. I know, it's all my fault. It always is. I get that. But can we?

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 04:56 PM
I think if he'd have crowned it right there you wouldn't be having this issue. I think your doc made a mistake there, Bucky and its not common to hurt that much. Because there's no crown, or cover on it, its exposed to all sorts of nasty shit you prolly got in your mouth.

anyway, I'll change the subject if it comes up again. I know it prolly hurts to think about much less talk about.

And you what they say about the length of a man's tooth canals......

BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 05:10 PM
He is an Endodontist ONLY. He doesn't do crowns or dentistry work. My regular dentist sent me there ONLY because he (the regular dentist) didn't have two hours available till after 1st of year!!!

The Endodontist's instructions, oral AND printed, say "GET A CROWN ON THIS NOW". Which I'm trying to do........but my regular dentist is a lifelong buddy and is 65 also, and only works when he feels like it!! But he has a partner, and I'm trying to get appt to get it done. My bud (sounds like Kribbs) says it's ok to wait a couple of weeks, though.

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 05:11 PM
and apparently I can't.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Kribbs has a crown made out of one of Elvis' hubcaps.

BKB

LJ3
12-20-2013, 05:26 PM
I snotted on that one... dang.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I thought of suggesting spackle, but that wouldn't cure in a mouth. I always carry a tube of waterweld in my aluminum boat (as all aluminum boat owners should) and that would seal that thing right off Bucky. You could be eating peanut brittle by nightfall.
BKB