PDA

View Full Version : Chirstmas with Dino

Penguin
12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Sitting here enjoying one of the season's greatest joys for me: My annual unveiling of "Christmas with Dino" once again after almost a year's hiatus. It truly is not Christmas for me if I don't have Dean Martin belting out the classic songs of the season.

I am starting to shake off the headaches of 2013 and feel a bit of the holiday cheer. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I've been listening to 'Heavy Metal Christmas' much to the chagrin of my family. Guess I'll switch to my #2 fave Christmas album, Elvis.

BKB

Thumper
12-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Bah Humbug! :booty

Thumper
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Ha ha ha! This reminds me of last night. I accompanied Lynn to her office Christmas party. It was held at the Convention Center (the Hyatt is adjacent to the Center) and they had the room all decorated for the occasion. We had a nice meal, gifts were exchanged ... all the usual Christmas party stuff. They had a DJ and a dance floor and while we were eating and chatting, the DJ was playing "hip hop" stuff. Lynn gave me a funny look and said, "This just ain't right" and went and asked the DJ to play some Christmas music. About 1/4 way through the second song, there were so many "complaints" ... the hip-hop cranked up again and everyone was happy. I looked at Lynn and said, "I guess we're officially OLD!" :D

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2013, 02:36 PM
My Elvis Christmas collection is my absolutely favorite. I guess it's just something I associate with my childhood as Mom and Dad played it a lot. My second favorite is a mixed CD a friend gave as a gift 4-5 years ago. It's called Blue Christmas and it's all blues artists and blues Christmas songs. My third is "Sentimental Journey" and it's all the favorites from the 30's and 40's.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 02:52 PM
they only did one Christmas song, but The Eagles 'Come home for Christmas' is one of my all time faves too.

BKB

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I play "Blue Christmas" on the harmonica once a year. That's plenty for me.. Maybe Barry can relate to this a bit. In my short few years as a "radio personality" I worked mostly small market stations where, starting right after Thanksgiving, we were required to play increasing amounts of Christmas music until Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we played 100% Christmas music. Trap a man in a 4X8 booth with 8 hour shifts of solid Christmas music borders on torture way worse than water-boarding ore bamboo under your fingernails. That has been 40 years ago and only in the past few years have I *not* turned the station when a Christmas song came on the radio. To quote Thumper... "Bah, humbug."

Penguin
12-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Ha ha ha! This reminds me of last night. I accompanied Lynn to her office Christmas party. It was held at the Convention Center (the Hyatt is adjacent to the Center) and they had the room all decorated for the occasion. We had a nice meal, gifts were exchanged ... all the usual Christmas party stuff. They had a DJ and a dance floor and while we were eating and chatting, the DJ was playing "hip hop" stuff. Lynn gave me a funny look and said, "This just ain't right" and went and asked the DJ to play some Christmas music. About 1/4 way through the second song, there were so many "complaints" ... the hip-hop cranked up again and everyone was happy. I looked at Lynn and said, "I guess we're officially OLD!" :D

A lot of times there's nothing worse than someone elses music is there? :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
HH, I can relate! but you're dating yourself. Nowadays, all of that programming is automatic and there ain't no DeeJays any more.

Speaking of, I was just reminiscing with some friends about old Larry Lujack and Gary Gears on WLS AM. I've spent many an evening watching the submarine races at the lake with WLS playing on the AM in my old car.

BKB

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Speaking of, I was just reminiscing with some friends about old Larry Lujack and Gary Gears on WLS AM. I've spent many an evening watching the submarine races at the lake with WLS playing on the AM in my old car.

BKB

Boy - ain't that the truth.. and at night, KAAY in Little Rock.. and *really late at night" WSM and the Opry.

Thumper
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Ha ha ha! I see there are a BUNCH of old farts here! I grew up listening to the local (Orlando) station, WLOF and my favorite DJ was Bill "The Weird Beard" Vermillion. If the "skip" was good at night, it was either WLS out of Chicago, or on a good night, I could get Wolfman Jack out of his "outlaw" station in Mexico. Man-o-man, those were the days ... yep, even the good ol' days of submarine races ... or Hookman's Bridge! :D

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:13 PM
KAAY...........wow...........100,000 Clear Watt Craziness.

Beaker Street.

Wow.

jb
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Posthole, I listen to him 50 years ago on the beach and cruising the streets at night.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9365876

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 04:44 PM
You guys might get a kick out of a movie called 'Pirate Radio' . Its about back in the days when the BBC outlawed rock and roll and some radio personalities went aboard an old cargo ship and broadcast from offshore. Its a pretty good movie.

I have a lot of good memories from hanging out at the radio station where my old man was part owner and station manager at the time. I was taking the transmitter readings or 'the logs' as they called it then when I was about 12. Just had to have the engineer sign of on them. I was never an on air person as I have no voice or knack for that, but growing up around that environment was a hoot. when my step Dad first started in radio it was at a little gospel/country station in Van Buren Arkansas called KFDF. They spun all their commercials on reel to reel Wollensak tape machines. Inside a cabinet door they'd driven about 100 nails into the back side of the door and on each would be a spool of tape with ads on the they'd taped. They'd cue them up on those machines and I swear watching a DJ operate a board on a busy day was like watching someone play a piano.
Got my FCC provisional when I was 17, got my third phone at 18 and second class license when I was 22. I always thought that's what I'd do until I somehow got sidetracked into the phone bidness. Probably the luckiest thing that ever happened to me.

BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Those were back in the days when TV came over the air, and Telephones came over cables.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Yup. And almost every house in America had set top rabbit ear antennas with a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around them in the belief they'd get better reception.

And don't forget 'turning the antenna', with the old man outside turning it this way and that and me standing in the window relaying instructions from Mom on what the picture looked like. That never ever EVER worked out good in the end. I learned from that experience that to be the middle man in anything was not a profitable situation.
BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 04:49 PM
THAT WORKED IDJIT!!

:)

So tell me why holding them worked so well (and still works with those little elec alarm clock radios with the wire hanging down)?????

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, some of the reason is that you're completing a better circuit to ground and you're shunting a lot of noise to ground. The other part is you're quite an electrical guy and your big old body increases the area that the little vibrating waves can resonate with.

BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooeeeeeoooooooooooo

jb
12-20-2013, 05:18 PM
We were lucky we had an "Antennarotor" to pick up our three channels.

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I remember when we got our third channel.. mygawd.. the choices.. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2013, 05:33 PM
As long as one of them had Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw on Sunday night starting at 7pm, who needed more than 3?

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 05:33 PM
My Mom caught me once trying to adjust the vertical hold on our TV when there was a nekkid woman in a shower on TV and they only showed her from the neck up. I never could figure out why that didn't work.

BKB

Thumper
12-20-2013, 05:35 PM
As a kid growing up, Orlando had one channel (6-CBS) and on a good day .. with aluminum foil on the rabbit ears OR my little sister standing next to the set touching the rabbit ears ... we could pick up a "snowy" channel (2-NBC) out of Daytona. Later on it was a HUGE deal in town when we got a local ABC station (channel 9)! 'Course all were black & white and went off the air around 10:00 - 11:00 pm or so. Back on around 6:00 or 7:00 am (can't really remember). Memories MY kid will never have.

To be honest, I just have basic cable now and have no clue how many channels I get.

Thumper
12-20-2013, 05:39 PM
My Mom caught me once trying to adjust the vertical hold on our TV when there was a nekkid woman in a shower on TV and they only showed her from the neck up. I never could figure out why that didn't work.

BKB

I remember getting up close to the speaker and yelling "GRANDFATHER CLOCK" when it was time for Captain Kangaroo to wake him and he asked us to "help". :D

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 05:57 PM
As long as one of them had Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw on Sunday night starting at 7pm, who needed more than 3?

Hey - If I didn't get my 8 hours of westerns a week.. I wasn't worth a damn.. Paladin was (and still is) my favorite. ;)

and Sea Hunt.. and Annette's boobs ( I mean the Mickey Mouse Club)..

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 06:02 PM
I can still remember the every day afternoon lineup of good westerns on TV. I was probably in the third or fourth grade then. Sugarfoot, Maverick, The Rebel, and the Lone Ranger. On Saturdays we got My Friend Flicka and The Rifleman. Those were darned good old westerns. They must have filmed a jillion of them.

BKB

and on edit it wasn't The Rebel it was Johny Yuma. I was thinking of the theme song....'Johnny Yuma was a rebel, he roamed through the west....'

BKB

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Watched Paladin last week, twice.

Niner
12-20-2013, 06:34 PM
It just ain't Christmas until I hear Porky Pig singing Blue Christmas.

And speaking of old Westerns.....don't forget Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston Of The Mounties, Branded, and of course Bonanza, and Gunsmoke.

I remember one time when the TV repairman came to the house, and I asked him if he could put some color tubes in the works!

When one of our "rich" neighbors got a color TV, I asked my Dad if we could get one. I still remember him saying he'd think about it when the people on there quit looking like Martians. Those first units had horrible color resolution.

And do you remember some of the BIG names in TV's back then? Dumont, Zenith, Quazar, Philco....long since gone the way of the Wooly.

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 06:51 PM
and Laramie and the Rifleman and Laredo and Wyatt Earp and The Virginian and Maverick (I liked Brett best - he was more likely to shoot someone) and Wild Bill Hickok and.. and man, they just don't make TV like they used to.. :(

Thumper
12-20-2013, 08:24 PM
I can still remember the every day afternoon lineup of good westerns on TV. I was probably in the third or fourth grade then. Sugarfoot, Maverick, The Rebel, and the Lone Ranger. On Saturdays we got My Friend Flicka and The Rifleman. Those were darned good old westerns. They must have filmed a jillion of them.BKB

and on edit it wasn't The Rebel it was Johny Yuma. I was thinking of the theme song....'Johnny Yuma was a rebel, he roamed through the west....'BKB

You were right the first time dufus ... the name of the show was The Rebel ... (Johnny Yuma was the rebel). I can still sing the theme song myownfineself! Don't forget Rawhide (Clint Eastwood) or Rin Tin Tin!

Can't believe nobody mentioned Roy Rogers. P-hole mentioned My Friend Flicka ... but how 'bout Fury? And I HAD to watch Sky King!

Loved Wagon Train. Anybody remember that old show, Broken Arrow or Wanted: Dead or Alive?

Not persactly a western ... but how 'bout Circus Boy? It starred Micky Dolenz who would later become one of The Monkeys. (Hey ... I was a kid, ok?)

jb
12-20-2013, 08:41 PM
I think the only reason I've bought my Colt SAA's are because of all the westerns I watched growing up and all the cap guns I had while we played cowboys and indians.
Saturday night was special in our house, I got to stay up late to watch Gunsmoke.
I think #3 is getting me a western style holster for one of the Colts.
Now I just better hope I don't shoot my foot with some fast draw practice. :fine

Thumper
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Man! Do kids even still have cap guns? Or have caps been labeled as too dangerous? I used to take a whole roll of caps and smash it on the sidewalk with a hammer. WOW! Was that ever fun! :D

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 09:24 PM
You were right the first time dufus ... the name of the show was The Rebel ... (Johnny Yuma was the rebel). I can still sing the theme song myownfineself! Don't forget Rawhide (Clint Eastwood) or Rin Tin Tin!

"He was panther quick and leather tough and figured he'd been pushed enough" .. my ownfineself too. ;) and: "Crest has been shown to be an effective decay preventative dentifrice when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care." :D Now, I wish I could remember my cell phone number in case someone asks. :( I have several friends who call me on a regular basis for answers to "off the wall" questions. My wife refers to me as "a walking wealth of worthless knowledge".

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Fanner 50. My best present.

They still make cap pistols. I make sure my grandson, or at least the one I can control (ha), has one.

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Me too, HH. When we get together with the Missouri family, my team always wins the trivia games. Don't know if thats due to my knowledge or the factits in Missoura.

"you'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

Probably the thing that set us off from the English..

BKB

HideHunter
12-20-2013, 10:44 PM
"Anacin, the pain reliever doctors prescribe most for headache, neuritis and neuralgia." (whatever the hell those are? ;) )

and poetry:

I took a contract to bury the body of Blasphemous Bill McKie
Whenever, wherever or what-so-ever the manner of death he die.
Whether he die in the light of day or under the peak-faced moon,
In cabin, dance-hall, camp or dive, mucklucked or patent shoon.

Wow, I'm not sure I could do the whole thing.. I think maybe I've lost a couple brain cells along the way. :crybaby

How about this?

As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd stay away.

There, got that one in its entirety. :bj

Buckrub
12-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Reddy Killowatt

Anacin

Mrs. White's Bluing

"More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette"

Sugar Pops are Tops

Burma Shave signs on the highway

Burroughs Computers (I actually learned COBOL on one of these)

"When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen"

Woolworths

Tab Soda

Otasco

on and on

BarryBobPosthole
12-20-2013, 11:20 PM
One of my favorites was the Alka Seltzer commercial ' i can't believe I ate the wholething" where they'd play the Elephant Walk music from Daltari.
BKB

quercus alba
12-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Mommy mia, that's one spicy meatballa

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 12:05 AM
"I want my Maypo".

Thumper
12-21-2013, 12:30 AM
I always wanted to be the meat in the sandwich with the Doublemint twins. :D

Chunka chunk big chunk,
Chunka chunk big chunk,
CHUNKY!!

Brylcreme! A little dab'l do ya' .....

RAID'S HEEEEEERRRREEEEEE!!!!!!

Relief is just ...... a swallow away!

Niner
12-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Bucky, Bucky Beaver
Uses new Ipana
Bucky, Bucky Beaver
It's good for your teeth.

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Wouldn't ya really rather drivea Buick?

BKB

jb
12-21-2013, 09:39 AM
"Happy 57 from Heinz 57 to you"

Thumper
12-21-2013, 09:54 AM
50's ad. Huh??? WAIT A DANG MINUTE!!! :D

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/files/2011/02/twitter-old-school-ad.jpg

Captain
12-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I'd rather fight than switch...

Come to where the flavor is, come to Marlboro Country....

Youngins today ain't never even seen a cigarette commercial...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
12-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I'll tell you ONE dang thing! This is an ad they've never seen! Merry Christmas! (Lucky's are easy on the throat!)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vOEmDjNVHOs/TvoeP3gmCvI/AAAAAAAAAjc/jhPnXhnlT40/s400/Image6.jpg

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Hamms the beer refreshing..

and I've heard it said, arguably the most successful advertising campaign in history,
and possibly even *too* good..

"'Smokey the bear says, "Only you can prevent forest fires"."

quercus alba
12-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I see Jim finally put up a self portrait. Not sure it's much of an improvement over the monkey

Thumper
12-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Naaaa, they wouldn't target "kids" ... would they? Imagine seeing THIS in this day and age!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bvt8skgm2l8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain
12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Smokey USE to say that.
I just finished my prescribed fire training and that slogan has been changed. It is now
"Only you can prevent WILDFIRES"

Prescribe fire is good and has been done even before "we" were here by American Indians.
They want more and more acres burned now to remove the fuel on the forest floor. So they are promoting prescribed fire.
If more acres are controlled burned with the correct conditions the when wildfires do happen they are not nearly as bad. The way it is now there are decades of fuel laying on the forest floor.

Niner
12-21-2013, 02:00 PM
A silly milli meter longer....

From a time when 90% of Americans had NO concept of the metric system.

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Yep - that's the way I understood it Cap'n.. They "prevented" forest fires for too long.. then... poof.

oh yeah.. and "plop - plop - fizz - fizz."

Captain
12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh what a relief it is....

I'd walk a mile for a ---------

jb
12-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Rode in and worked on some of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULuXAIpAZuU

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 04:54 PM
a Camel.. Cap'n.

You know JB - One of the very coolest cars I ever saw was a Edsel convertible.. I believe it was a 1959. Black with white interior. Chrome all over that sob. I think it had every available high-end factory option. They still had the original sticker in the window.. it was (remember 1959) $5,200. It made an absolutely gorgeous convertible. I was a sucker for rag-tops. I owned about a half a dozen of them (no Edsels).

"Miller High Life the...

jb
12-21-2013, 05:05 PM
HH, me too, had 5, still have one, back then we called them the "4C's" , Cloth Covered C#@t Catchers".
Here's my first one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/Secret/60Ford_zpsd590e061.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbmich/media/Secret/60Ford_zpsd590e061.jpg.html)

Captain
12-21-2013, 05:09 PM
The Champagne of bottled beer...

jb
12-21-2013, 05:15 PM
"From the land of sky blue waters"
"The beer that made Milwaukee famous"
"Blatz beer is Milwaukee's finest"

Captain
12-21-2013, 05:16 PM
-------- a little dab will do ya'

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2013, 05:17 PM
La cerveza mas fina del mundo!

jb
12-21-2013, 05:21 PM
It wasn't always Cheerio's, some of us ate these.

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 05:22 PM
HH, me too, had 5, still have one, back then we called them the "4C's" , Cloth Covered C#@t Catchers".
Here's my first one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/Secret/60Ford_zpsd590e061.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbmich/media/Secret/60Ford_zpsd590e061.jpg.html)

Holy Crap! I had 2 Sunliners.. a '60 and a '62. The 60 was sky blue and the 62 dark blue. They made a sharp convertible. Wish I had either but I especially wish I had the engine back out of the 60. It was ( I think) out of a '63. 406 tri-power/ balanced and blue-printed.. Just about every freaking thing that could be done to it except headers. Guy couldn't make them fit. Mygawd did that thing run. .. And when that tri kicked in - well it was almost orgasmic. :D

Love the black one!

jb
12-21-2013, 05:24 PM
That one had the 352 Police Interceptor, single 4 barrel, even that could smoke those retreads.

HideHunter
12-21-2013, 05:31 PM
BrylCreme .. Use more - only if you dare. ;)

Learn something everyday JB.. Never heard of Cheerioats. I do remember when Shredded Wheat came in the square box like soda crackers.

Captain
12-21-2013, 05:44 PM
I remember rinsing out milk bottles and putting them on the front porch and having milk delivered.

Buckrub
12-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Was Mike redheaded?

Captain
12-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Remember the Hai Karate commercials? The bottle of cologne came with self defense instructions...