PDA

View Full Version : GENE!! - or other rod builders

LJ3
12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
So I got a St Croix rod kit to build for Christmas. I watched the video on how to assemble all the components and I'm really looking forward to giving it a try. What I DON'T know... is how much of the tools recommended I really need.

I do plan on building more than one but have a very tight budget right now so have to keep my additional costs as low as possible. So my questions are:

What kind of thread should I get? I think colorfast seems to be the best fit for me but there's so many stinking brands I have no idea what quality to go for.

I assume I need the rasp tools for reaming the cork and reel seat plastic, do I need to invest in a wrapping tool? They have a low end tensioner that I can mount on a workbench and it seems easy enough to make a holder for the rod.

Epoxy and finisher for the wraps. Holy crap, there's too many choices! What's a good entry level epoxy and finisher?

That's it for now.

jb
12-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Len,
Let me look in my junk pile, I use to have a wrap jig that I'd be happy to send you if I can find it.
If I remember, shaping the cork handles is pretty easy with a rasp file then sand paper, you can shape it anyway you want.

jb
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Sorry, thought I may have kept it, last time I used it was about 25 years ago, must have passed it on.

LJ3
12-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Dang! Thanks anyway JB, I appreciate it!

Bwana
12-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Len. Given your eye I am sure it will be a beaut'.

LJ3
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm gonna keep it as simple as possible the first time thru. Looks like one could get very carried away with the guide and butt wrapping with the colors and patterns available! I happen to know my favorite color so we'll be going with green wraps. It seems really innersting. The more I read and learn about rod building, the more I go look out in my garage at my current rods. I have the whole spectrum from a cheapie combo rod to a G Loomis and all points in between.

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2013, 07:33 PM
I wonder could you use just plain old braided line for your wrapping thread. That shit will be here long after nuclear winter. Of course, I don't know what criteria you use for selecting thread in the first place. I'm anxious to hear how this goes. I've wanted to do the same thing for sveral years. We need to some beginning to end pictures Len. Maybe ever a Len's Fishing Show Special on rod building you can shoot with that new gadget.
BKB

HideHunter
12-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Let's see.. As mentioned, a rat-tail file, a rasp and sandpaper will handle the cork. I've always used Gudebrod thread. You'll want A. As far as finish - I like Flex Coat. "High build" is slightly easier to use but "lite" will give you a nicer finish. I see Mudhole has an "all in one kit" http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Supply-Kits. Tensioner.. Man the sky's the limit. I've made several rod with a coffee cup and a book. If you want to google a bit there are plans for tensioners using a mousetrap that will work great. From there.. ?

Best advice I can give is get some old guides, a junk rod, or an arrow, or a pencil and "practice, practice, practice".

Good luck.. it's fun.

Niner
12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I watched their online how-to video. That looks like a fun project. What are you gonna use to spin the rod while the epoxy dries on the guides?

Thumper
12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
When you get finished with this project ... give me a call. I'll pack up my pink, Barbie Zebco, then head up there to out-fish your butt! Deal? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I was justgoing to say Thump that you need to keep your eyes peeled for some of that rod building stuff at your estate sales.

BKB

Thumper
12-30-2013, 10:42 PM
If I can turn it for a buck .. I'll sure look for it!

'Course, if I DO run across a pile of the stuff ... I'd prolly end up selling it to one a'youse dufes for what I paid for it. :(

LJ3
12-31-2013, 10:26 AM
No worries Jimmy, I'd insist on paying you more than you gave for it :)

HideHunter
12-31-2013, 03:37 PM
As far as turning the rod while drying.. You can turn it by hand every so many minutes and get a nice job. Yes. it's a little time consuming but I just set a timer while I'm watching TV. My dad actually built me turner out of an old rotisserie motor. Works fine.. Again - lots of plans on the internet.

Len - I assume you've found rodbuilding.org? A wealth of info.

LJ3
01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
So... I went with the all in one rob building kit. Includes the dryer, wrapping jig, epoxies, rasps and I got a few colors of thread. I was able to load up the shopping cart pretty good playing the birthday card :)

Looking forward to it! I already have an eye on what I want to build next. Better focus on this one first.