PDA

View Full Version : Is there some unwritten freakin' law I don't know about?

Captain
01-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Coldest day ever, wind blowing a zillion miles an hour, get down to the farm to put hay out and one of the water tanks is running over! Something in the valve is stuck the whole pasture is flooded all around the tank. So I'm in water and mud knee deep and get a temp fix done. Hopefully it will hold till morning and when temps get above freezing and I can replace the valve....
Then the auto gate opener to the farm is "over" closing and auto reversing. So I get to spend an hour in the zillion mile an hour wind and work on it
Why is it everything outside breaks when it the coldest? This morning the wind chill was 9 degrees!
Tuesday the air temp is suppose to be 17 I guess everything will break that day..
Done bitchin' go Clemson!

LJ3
01-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Look at the positive side. Tall people have a hard time in high winds, you have less drag :)

jb
01-03-2014, 07:18 PM
What Len said.:moon

Thumper
01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Lenster's feeling cocky today! First Sunny and now Cappy! :biggrin

LJ3
01-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Nobody's safe! :)

Big Skyz
01-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Yup you find out pretty quick what works when it gets extremely cold and what doesn't. That's why I don't drive GM products anymore...

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Captain, that's Mr Murphy's famous law isn't it? When I was a teenager I learnedthat was when old car would break down. so I know exactly what you mean as I've jad almost a lietime of experience with it. i thought that was just how stuff was.

BKB

LJ3
01-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Yup you find out pretty quick what works when it gets extremely cold and what doesn't. That's why I don't drive GM products anymore...

Hows' that F150 workin' out for ya? :)

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
^^^ BAM!

Captain
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Hows' that F150 workin' out for ya? :)

Lol... Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Cap, I hope it weren't one of the ones that I "helped" you fix.
At least you had a nice little tool box to take out thar with ya.

Hey, be sure to save a few chores for me to "help" you with next time I'm over your way.

Thumper
01-04-2014, 12:37 AM
From what I can tell ... Cappy will NEVER run out of chores. I told him earlier today, he needs come out of retirement and go back to work so he can get some rest!

Captain
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
From what I can tell ... Cappy will NEVER run out of chores. I told him earlier today, he needs come out of retirement and go back to work so he can get some rest!

Conine you NEVER get caught up on a farm, you just get it where you can walk away and rest awhile. There will be plenty for you to "hep" me with on your next trip I'm sure.

I wish it was one of the tanks we worked on. They have drain plugs and the "floats" are on top. This is a tank that has no drain plug and the float and fill valve is in the bottom (read under 3 foot of water) the fill valve is sticking and not cutting off and running the well wide open.
Because of the design (poor) I've got to take a hose and siphon the water off and of course reach down underground and unplug the hydrant from the fitting which is full of ice cold water. Then replace the valve and again plug the hydrant back up. This tank is the one closest to the house and I'm able to see it from inside.
It was 19 when I woke up this morning. My "plan" is to stay in the house till I see the temps above freezing and put on everything I own and waddle out there and get started....
Wish you were here! :-)

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
If you had somebody to hold you by the ankles you wouldn't need to drain all that water off. I'll bet Big Jim would volunteer.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
If you had somebody to hold you by the ankles you wouldn't need to drain all that water off. I'll bet Big Jim would volunteer.

BKB

He said it was under THREE FEET of water. I'm not sure "Big Jim's" arms would even be long enough. Maybe he could tie a rope around Cappy's ankles and get a bit more reach. :D

Captain
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Do either of you dufes not have something constructive to do this morning? Jeeeeeese

HideHunter
01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Cappy I believe there is exactly some unwritten freakin' law. As much as I love "cold" it is a bad thing for equipment. A little like why knots never fail on little fish. It's just more strain. Now your valve may not have failed at 60 degrees - but if it had we'd have never heard about it.;) Buddy of mine works maintenance at an open mine up on the Iron Range. -20 is *common* up there (he's up near International Falls - I believe it was 46 below up there a couple days ago) and he says it's not uncommon for a twelve inch shaft to just snap at those temperatures. He works with a partner and one stays in a heated shack and they switch every 15 minutes (if they can stand it that long). Now - don't you feel better. ;)

Oh - and they're calling for -19 here tomorrow night. Glad to see this.. they were saying -23.. :D

Captain
01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
If it got to -23 here I'd crack open a window in the house and shoot every cow in the pasture so I would not have to go out and feed em. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
One of my first cousins worked on the Alaskan Pipeline for several years right after it was built. He said busting hammers was pretty common on the job.

BKB

Buckrub
01-04-2014, 12:19 PM
If you text while knee deep in water, it will electrocute you.

HideHunter
01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Wow Barry.. what a coincidence I had a first cousin who worked on the pipeline.. I wonder if we are related? :rockon Which brings a story to mind. On my first trip to Alaska I saw a sign along the road that said, "Happiness is 10,000 Texans leaving Alaska... with an Okie under each arm." :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Why would you want to?
BKB

Thumper
01-04-2014, 12:47 PM
If you text while knee deep in water, it will electrocute you.

But Cappy said the water in the tank was 3' deep ... that'd be up to his chin. :D