PDA

View Full Version : RIP Phil Everly

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2014, 10:06 PM
I was a bit young for their heydey but I'm very familiar with their music. I'll bet Jerry had them on the radio at the submarine races though.
Awesome talent.

BKB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Niner
01-03-2014, 10:38 PM
How come sangers nowadays don't dress like dat???

Captain
01-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Cause they all want to be Gangsta'

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
01-04-2014, 12:06 AM

Ha ha! Ain't that the truth! But I remember just like it was yesterday ... when these "mop-heads" became popular, every "adult" in the nation swore those long-haired bums were going to destroy civilized society as we knew it! By today's standards ... I'd say they were about as clean-cut as they could be!

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/the-beatles-granger.jpg

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
My parents were big fans when I was a kid. So, the Everly Bros are part if what I think of as the sound track if my youth in Wonder Years sort if way. I think we even caught their act at Knott's Berry Farm in 1973. It was probably my first concert now that I think if it.

jb
01-04-2014, 10:05 AM
They made great music in my youth, I got a lot of lip service out of their songs.
If posthole would comb his hair now and then, he could look like that too.

Thumper
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Have you actually SEEN that guy???? Trust me ... a simple haircut ain't gonna do squat for that fugly dufe! ;)

Thumper
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
As for growing up with the Everly Bros. ... one of the first things I ever won on a radio call-in contest was an Everly Brothers .45 record. I even remember the call-in question. The DeeJay (Bill "The Weird Beard" Vermillion, at "WLOF ... Channel 95l") said the first person to call in, whose phone number contains the digits 4, 6 & 9, will win five .45 rpm records! Our number contained those digits and a copy of The Everly Bros. (Cathy's Clown ... don't remember the "flip side") was one of the records I won.

Odd, most days, I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, but I can still remember my grand parents and our phone numbers from my childhood (I have no clue why or how). I remember 4-digit phone numbers, but can't remember if/when we had one. Our number when I was a kid, was 4-6292 ... then they came out with the prefix and it became GArden4-6292 (424-6292).

My grandparents # was GArden5-3839 (after the prefix was added). Theirs was a "party-line"!

I wonder why stuff like that sticks in your brain? I have no clue what my home phone number was in California just a handful of years ago.

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I won a record when I was about ten on one of those call in deals. The question was who the artist was on the song ''Monster Mash' (Bobby 'Boris' Pickett). I still smile every time I hear that tune, which admittedly isn't very often.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I was around that same age P-hole ... I think I was 9 when I won that record. Why is it we remember so many minute details about stuff like that but have CRS disease when it comes to more recent stuff?

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I wish I knew. My wife says its because I only remember the stuff I give a shit about. I think she's right.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2014, 11:34 AM
I wish I knew. My wife says its because I only remember the stuff I give a shit about. I think she's right. BKB

Ha! I'm not so sure P-hole. MANY years ago I met this smokin' hot chick at a dance and asked for her phone number. She wrote the number on a slip of paper and handed it to me. Problem is, she told me her name when I first talked to her, but I forgot it. When she wrote down her number, she wrote the number ONLY and I still had no clue what her name was. When I called to ask her out, I planned to just hang up if I didn't recognize her voice (the days before caller ID) as I'm not sure her mom/dad would have appreciated it if I just said, "May I speak with your daughter!?"

I picked her up and I was sweating bullets all night dancing around calling her by name (the only name that came to mind was "Tits"!) :D

On the way home, she said, "You don't even remember my name, do you?" I tried to crawl under the frigging dash board I was so embarrassed. That was probably one of the most uncomfortable dates I ever went out on. Ummm, BTW ... we never went out again! :crybaby

Buckrub
01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Good Grief.

My absolute favorites.............Statler Brothers a close 2nd.