PDA

View Full Version : Do you know who all is exempt from Social Security?

Buckrub
01-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I always thought Preachers, and a few rare others, were the only ones exempt from the Social Security system. But my daughter was here over Christmas, and somehow it came up about my son in law in Colorado, and pension payments and systems. He just finished several years of school to become a teacher, and is now teaching his first year of 2nd grade. Turns out, Colorado teachers don't pay in to the SS System.

I was shocked. Then I researched it and found out that about 14 states, the public employees don't pay in to Social Security.

Now, that bothers me. Because a Ponzi Scheme won't work, won't keep going, unless it has new blood. SS has always worked because the new blood was MANDATED to pay in to it. Now it seems one of the reasons it's not that solvent, is that there are way more folks not paying in than I had any clue!!!!

No wonder this thing is a mess. First it was for augmenting workers' retirement, then they added folks that never paid in, Supplemental Security (welfare from the SS system), disability insurance free, and then medicare at nothing (and ultimately a nominal fee, not sufficient). Next thing you know, they'll add pedicures and shoe shines, at no cost.

And some lucky folks don't even have to fool with it.

P.S.
Don't ask me to forego my SS income until such time as I recover my 48 years of payments. Thank you.

Arty
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Preachers are exempt if they sign something that says they are "Morally Opposed" to it (church and state separation, govt involvement, wars, etc)

Most will say they are, but they ain't. They just don't want to pay their own SS tax.