PDA

View Full Version : Book Reccomendation

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 05:16 PM
I'd been looking for somethng to read over the holidays since I was off two straight weeks when I ran across a review in the Tulsa paper of a set of novellas by an American writer named Jim Harrison. The novellas are about a character whose Chippewa name is Brown Dog, goes by BD, and lives in the UP of Michigan. These are very enjoyable books to read, and the author does a good job of writing mor into the story without overdoing it, kind of like McMurtry can in some cases. This guy also wrote Legends of the Fall, which I bought and read over the break as well. I won't say I liked all of the novellas I read by this guy but he's somebody I would check out if you're looking for a good read.
BKB

FooBang
01-04-2014, 06:18 PM
If anyone is looking for non-fiction, "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman is a fascinating look at how your mind works and how you make decisions. http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374533555
I thought it would be dull, but it turned into a page-turner for me. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

--Foo

Buckrub
01-04-2014, 06:34 PM
You can't spell recommendation and you're recommending books. Are you in the Big 12/10?

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I can spell KMA!

Foo, along those lines have you read any of the Brain Rules books by John Medina?

BKB

FooBang
01-06-2014, 01:19 AM
I haven't, but I'll check it out!

--Foo