PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a failure...

Bwana
01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Not much keeps me from hunting but right now I am sitting here thinking I let myself down.

Here is the deal, today is the last day of ND's turkey season and I have yet to fill my tag. My plan was to head out this afternoon to fill it but as sad as it is to say, the weather is making me think that isn't such a good idea. Could I go? Yeah. Is getting around going to be damn tough? Yeah Is the weather as potentially dangerous as they say? Could be. Have I shied away from something like this before? No and it is really bothering me not to go.

Maybe I am getting old or letting these weather folks scare me but either way, I am truly struggling. Do I or don't I? According to the current conditions it is 15 below zero with 36 mph sustained winds and gusts to 46 mph. I know it is stupid to even think about going but if I don't this is my last chance until spring season.

Wish the wind would let up just 10 mph.

Don't even know why I am posting but I guess I needed to make a confession to someone.

This SUCKS!

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Are there going to be birds moving around in that stuff?
BKB

Buckrub
01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
I just simply don't enjoy doing outdoors stuff in extreme weather like I did at 30 or 40 years old. I could lie, but I just simply don't. I guess, also, that being retired let's me be lazy, because "there's always another day, probably not far off".....

Big Skyz
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
If you know where the birds will be hold up, it would be like shooting fish in the barrel. They will let you walk or drive right up to them and shoot them. I honestly think they consider it a mercy killing in those temps. However, it could be you are just getting smarter and picking days when it would be more like hunting than just killing something.

Thumper
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Two words ... Safeway & Butterball. ;)

Captain
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Nobody likes to hunt turkeys than me ;) and I can assure there ain't been a bird born that would make me go outside in that weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bwana
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
It's official - I wimped out.

As for the birds, I agree Big Sky. Though likely easy to get within shooting distance, the 1/2-mile plus walk to get into where they are likely to be would not be a lot of fun given the snow and wind we have right now.

jb
01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x8hGIF9FljM

Captain
01-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Lol. Best alert I've ever heard!

Buckrub
01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Is that Bwana's voice? Is it? Is it?

Arty
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I told cappy this back in October. I could live in the woods. I wanted to be a game warden more than anything else (just cause at the time I thought id be in the woods all the time, I didn't know any better).

But- I don't care if it hair lipped Rachel. I wouldn't go out in those temps for nuttin.

And I mean nuttin.

Not sure how you do it.

Life would literally stop down here if it was that cold. It's gonna be 9 degrees tomorrow night and that's the coldest it's been in 25 years according to the news.

Schools are already talking about delays and closing on Tuesday. Mind you, there is NO precipitation in the forecast.
Just cold.

Captain
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Suppose to be 8 here Tuesday morning and 11 Wednesday morning. I'm headed back to the farm tomorrow to see what else will break during this snap....

Buckrub
01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Just flashed across the bottom on Weather Channel, that I watched for a few minutes today when concerned about my son's flight.......(he made it home)...."Montgomery, AL schools will be closed tomorrow because of the Cold"..........

HideHunter
01-05-2014, 11:13 PM
lol.. that is hilarious.. Just talked to my buddy who is a mechanic in an open mine up on the Iron Range. New Year's Eve they shut down but left one of those big track hoes idle in the pit. Sat running for two days. Got down to 30 below. When the operator tried to raise the bucket - 3000 pounds of pressure hit those 4 inch hydraulic lines and busted 8 of them. Took them two days to replace them because they could only work 15 minutes at a time. Said first time he's ever seen that in 19 years. Said International Falls just reported they had the 2nd coldest December since they've kept records. ouch...

Oh yeah.. just stepped outside.. 4 below here and headed for -20.. blowing 25 mph.. wind's got a bit of a bite to it. ;)

Thumper
01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
It was 81 deg, a nice breeze and not a cloud in the sky here today. We went to the Thai (Buddhist) Temple today, sat by the river and ate as much authentic Thai food as we could stuff into our pie-holes! (They have this EVERY Sunday, all year long) Beautiful, PERFECT day.

BUT ... it's not supposed to get out of the 60's tomorrow and Tuesday ... DANG! ... It's supposed to be 48 frigging degrees! We "might" have to turn the heater on to take the chill out of the air. High 60's Wednesday, high 70's Thursday/Friday and back up to 82 for the weekend.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2014, 11:46 PM
They call Frostbite Falls the Nation's icebox for a reason.

BKB