PDA

View Full Version : Three Years Later..........

Niner
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
I know y'all all remember the "Niner Shot" of the turkey that I killed back in the spring of 2011.

Well, I started on the mount for the fan/beard.....then I got sick. It has sat "pinned" on a sheet of cardboard on top of a shelf in the basement ever since.

With deer season over, and I'm feeling pretty good lately....I happened to spy it the other day and had Di help me get it down. (I'm not allowed to get up on a ladder, yet.)

Finished it up this afternoon.

It ONLY took me almost three years to get it from this:

To this:

I'd still like to figure a way to mount the spurs on this thing. Not sure how I'd do that though. I am thinking I could use a Dremel cutting disc and cut them off of the legs and then epoxy them onto the wood....but not sure if that would work or not.

Big Skyz
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
First off, it looks great. Professional even. Second, I don't care if it took you three years or three hours. I'm just glad you are around to get it finished.

Bwana
01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Good to see you back after things a bit and dtto what B.S. said.

That would work Bill, or cut them off the same way, run a leather cord through them with a bead or two if you like and attach that to the plaque.

Now you just need to get back out and get yourself another.

Arty
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
That looks great Niner! I know where to mail mine when I shoot me one!

Buckrub
01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Wow.

I be's IM-PRESSED!

Captain
01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Very nice work there Niner! Glad you are getting back to project work! That's a good step!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
01-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Cap'n, you got any suggestions for them spurs?

Buckrub
01-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Um.........yeah. Um........well, it involves Di, and some whipped cream, and......

Nah, never mind. Take Cappy's advice.

airbud7
01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Nice Niner...Very nice!....I wish I could do stuff like that...

Captain
01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Not really Niner. Nothing fancy. I've probably got a 100 or so of them and I always just cut the leg bone into before and after the spur (leaving about a 1.5 inch piece of legbone) the center if the leg is hollow and I just slip them on a string. The string of spurs I have is probably 10 foot or so long.

BarryBobPosthole
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
That's sure a pretty mount, Niner. I have no idea what to do with those spurs, but if it were me I might make a deal like this here necklace. I have a sharks tooth and a small piece of black coral on a little leather necklace like this and it looks real good. I don't hardly ever wear it, but I like to look at it. Might look good hanging on that mount some way.

BKB

Fido
01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
That is one terrific looking mount Bill!

Thumper
01-07-2014, 09:57 AM
You ain't gonna believe this. Out in my garage sits the tail of the last turkey I killed before I got sick (and I haven't hunted since). I had it spread out and mounted on a board to "dry" ... and it's been there ever since. I'd totally forgotten about it until you posted this!

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM
It ought to be good and dry by now.

BKB

Thumper
01-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Well, it did make me a bit curious. I just went out there and couldn't find it. After a quick search, I found it had somehow fallen behind one of my tool boxes. It's a bit beat up, but it looks like it can be salvaged. May have to do something with it some day as it very well might be the last turkey I ever shoot. :(

Bwana
01-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Jim, that tail can be easily made to look like nearly new again without spending more then a few minutes preening the feathers.

Looks like you have a project to do now instead of "wasting" all that time on e-Bay. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2014, 10:57 AM
And spray a little wd40 on that socket set would ya?

BKB

Captain
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Yea, what Posthole says..... What cha doing letting your tools got in that kinda shape.

Thumper
01-07-2014, 11:19 AM
You know sumpin' P-hole ... I looked at the pic and thought WTF?? Then went back out to eye-ball those sockets. The rust ain't there. Sure, a bit of oil would help (they're all Snap-on and Craftsman), but that stuff really isn't visible. Maybe Len can explain it. When I take pics of razors that I'm selling on eBay, I have to take them outside under natural light. Razors are generally plated brass and a WORN razor will have what's called "brassing" ... where the finish is worn off and the brass is showing through. That's an undesirable trait for a collector piece (but fine if it's to be re-plated). I can have a VERY nice razor that looks like new with natural light ... but if I take a flash pic, it looks like all the finish is worn off ... which of course diminishes the value quite a bit. Any metal I take a flash pic of does the same ... it looks like it's COVERED with rust ... but in natural light, it's not there (or barely noticeable spots). 'Course, it's been a while since I used my hand tools. I just don't do that sort of stuff anymore. That box is about 5' tall ... a huge stainless roll-away. I also have a Craftsman roll-away with a Snap-On top box. They are both crammed full of tools (Craftsman being the LOWEST quality). Add to that, probably 3-4 small portable tool boxes also stuffed to the max with hand tools. Sumpin' tells me I need to thin that stuff out a bit. I used to be a total tool whore!

Sunshine
01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Niner that is really pretty.
Nice job!