PDA

View Full Version : For you military dufes....actually, everyone, too.

Big Muddy
01-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Date night, and we went to the movie....opening night, and it was jam-packed....I recognized a lot of vets from surrounding communities....saw "Lone Survivor"....it's an edge-of-your-seat movie....just WOW !!!....based on the true events of the SEAL'S Mission Red Wings....19 good men died on that mountain....if it happened the way the movie portrayed it, then Marcus Luttrell, who was the actual lone survivor of the mission, is the absolute luckiest soldier to ever don a military uniform.

I already admire the SEALS, but I, now, have a much greater appreciation for their military prowess.

After some of you other dufes have seen it, I have a question about one scene....my hearing isn't that good.

Thumper
01-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Yep Edward, it's on my "bucket list" and "might" happen this weekend, but I believe prior commitments are going to interfere. As you know, I have a VERY strong bond with the SEALs and when my buddy and I travel to places we "probably" shouldn't be traveling to, I have a sense of security that really can't be explained. I've always had a lust for travel to places "off the beaten path" that probably stems from growing up in Florida and making a promise to myself to NEVER be a f'ing "tourist". (I know that's impossible literally, but you know what I mean) What's truly humbling is that he's told me many times, I'm his preferred traveling partner and a highly trusted "wingman". In fact he's in Asia right now and e-mailed me a couple weeks ago about one of his "adventures". In that e-mail he said he sure wished he'd had his "wingman" with him. It probably sounds a bit corny to most, but believe me, if you knew him as I do, it's an extremely heavy compliment.

BUT ... here's something to think about. I have to admit, I LOVE movies like this and I especially love to see them with, or at least discuss them with this guy to see how "authentic" they are. What I noticed many years ago though, is that all these SEAL books and movies that have come out in recent history really irritate him at times. The "old school" SEALs didn't talk "publicly" about their missions and it gripes his ass to see the "old" SEALs writing books and making movies. He's REALLY adamant about not betraying that "code of silence". We worked on the same missions and have a lot in common, and even I have a hard time getting him to "talk". (he also suffers from major PTSD)

He was on the first SEAL team ever established during the Kennedy years. Actually two "teams" were formed in the beginning ... SEAL Team 1 and SEAL Team 2 (#1 was on the west coast and his team, #2, was on the east coast). He was (as were both the first SEAL teams) previously a member of the UDT. His first mission as a SEAL was in Cuba for the Bay of Pigs and I've heard some fascinating stories ... (they were deployed from a submarine off the coast of Cuba). After the BOP, the SEALs became an official unit and then went to Vietnam ('62) to train South Vietnamese commandos. In '63, the SEALs hooked up with the CIA. He was stationed in Da Nang for many years running missions into North Vietnam and Cambodia ... which were my old stomping grounds. Sooooo, now you can see where the connection between us came into play ... I was MI working with the CIA on missions in 'Nam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma. He LIVED in Vietnam most of his SEAL career (later went to Europe).

Out of ALL of his missions, the most fascinating story is his mission that actually "started" the Vietnam War. It's an unbelievable story and the only reason I even mention it is that bits and pieces have been disclosed on the internet in the past few years (will probably be a movie some day, if it isn't already). Anyway, a certain SEAL mission is actually what officially "started" the Vietnam War (by that I mean, the US "officially" entered the "undeclared" war in Vietnam).

Anyway, our friendship is highly valued and I have the utmost respect for this guy. One of my most prized photos is from a trip to Asia a few years back for a little mini-reunion. Myself, my SEAL bud, my Green Beret/Special Forces MI buddy and my VERY close friend with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. (the Embassy dude actually trained me on the Vietnamese Mission back in the day and we've remained in touch ever since)

He's a GREAT traveling partner as we both love SE Asia and we make a good team. We have a lot in common, share common memories and the fact I speak Thai and Laotian and he speaks Vietnamese ... really compliments our "team" when we travel those areas. :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm not a Marky Mark fan so I'll prolly wait until this one comes out in DVD. Any time I see him any more, all I can think about is Dirk Diggler.

The divemaster Trav and I took our scuba pool training from was an old time Seal from the early sixties. The guy really isn't a bad guy but has some pretty bad communications skills for the profession he's in. I took a Nitrox class withvhim a few years back and he was awful. I still do business with him when I need to get my reg serviced but nothing that requires a ton of human interaction. He did tell me a story of something he did for the Discovery channel several years ago. He had some SEAL buddies who wanted to have a little reunion so they parachuted into a buddy's house in Alaska, and did a dry suit dive under the ice, and I guess partied their ass off, all on film for Discovery. And this guy is probably in his 60's.

BKB

Thumper
01-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Do you remember his name P-hole? If he was a SEAL in the early 60's, I know my bud will know him (or at least know the name).

Whenever we're in Thailand, we visit another buddy who has lived there since he got out of the military. He owns a bar/restaurant in Southern Thailand and is married to a Thai woman. He was in UDT with my bud and when the SEALs were formed, he was on SEAL Team One. He went to language school to learn Thai to train the Thai commandos I mentioned above. We have quite the party at his place whenever we're in country.

We also frequent another bar in town that's an old spook hangout. CIA, Mil. Inte., SEALs, Special Ops types all hang out there. It's quite an interesting place once the beer gets flowing. :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Sure do, Jim. His name is Randy Piper. I believe he was in Nam in like 67-68 and did two or three tours. I think he got his training in the early 60's though.

BKB

Thumper
01-11-2014, 07:48 PM
I dropped him a quick e-mail to see if he knew him. It'd be great to know when he went through BUD/S.

BarryBobPosthole
01-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Jim, here's something I found on his wevsite that has some of those training dates.
BKB

http://www.scubatulsa.com/staff/show/1

And another

http://www.scubatulsa.com/articles/show/1

Thumper
01-12-2014, 04:35 AM
Hmmm, his timeline is a bit confusing, but it looks like he came along in the late 60's instead of the early 60's.

Basic Underwater Demolition SEAL Training - 1968
SEAL Indoctrination - 1968
Mark VI Semi Closed Diver - 1968
Emerson Closed Circuit Rebreather - 1968
Second Class Divers School - 1969
Free and Buoyant Ascent Training - 1969
Commercial Diver offshore Gulf of Mexico - 1971

Normally, the Navy is a 4-year hitch, but I believe to become a SEAL, you're required to sign up for a 6-year hitch due to the extensive training required. (I had to do the same to get into Mil. Intel) So he went through BUD/S in '68, and all of that training in '68-'69 was SEAL training, but then it appears he's a civilian in '71. It takes about 18 months (after boot camp) to get your Trident, which is followed by another 18 months of training before deployment. Hmmm, I honestly don't know all the ins & outs, but his timeline confuses me because it appears he became a civilian right about the time he'd have finished his training (and/or POSSIBLY a short deployment which is normally 6-8 months). Even if he were already previously enlisted, I seriously doubt they'd have let him enter SEAL training with only 2-3 years left without signing up for an extended commitment. (or maybe he "washed out"?) I'm sure my buddy can explain it to me.

BarryBobPosthole
01-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Might have been discharged for wounds received too. I know he has a bunch of medals but I have no idea.

BKB

Thumper
01-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Good point ... could have been a medical discharge.

Bwana
01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Saw the movie last night with the family and all I can say is "WOW!"

Don't know if it is true or not but I was told the director made a serious effort to make the movie as realistic as possible, including the wounds each of the guys had. One thing is certain if the movie is even close to accurate, those soldiers were some TOUGH SOB's!!

Hombre
01-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Watched the movie last night. I can say if you go into it looking for a rah-rah Rambo feeling it isn't going to happen. I think it definitely did a good job of showing the severity of their situation and the mental aspect of a seal. That's probably my favorite part of the movie is the mental aspect of someone who can deal with being hurt (shot) and their emotions are still a positive factor for completing the mission. I bet anyone on one of these teams has a unique bond that is only imaginable, if that, to most of us.

johnboy
01-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Saw it yesterday and a definite thumbs up. Good movie that just tells a story without a lot of the usual bs. It's actually not historically accurate but it is still a good watch. See it for sure.

Thumper
01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Wanted to go yesterday but had prior obligations. I'll definitely catch it.

BTW P-hole, my SEAL bud called me yesterday and we talked quite a while. I asked if he knew Piper, but he didn't. I asked what he thought of the timeline and he said a TON of people dropped out of the program at the end of the 60's due to the military draw-down. He could have been one who took an early out. Just speculation.

Thumper
01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
News reports say they were there to see Lone Survivor ... but this all happened before the movie even started! Man-o-man! Hey Cappy, he was a Captain with TPD when he retired. (Wesley Chapel is a community just north of Tampa)

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/1/13/wesley_chapel_theate.html

Captain
01-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Lesson would be if an off duty officer tells you to stop texting during the movie, it would probably be best to stop.
Seriously that is sad for all involved. I have no clue what caused that officer to snap. I do know I carry a 380 in my waistband everywhere I go. And I hope I never snap like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
01-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeppers. I carry the same thing you do, in my pocket. He's 71 years old and has been retired for 20 years!

BarryBobPosthole
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I gotta tell you, its hard for me to sit and be entertained by these movies. They're not like the WWII war movies we grew up on. There's something cynical about them, I can't put my finger on it. Black Hawk Down was an excellent movie but when I sat and thought about the REAL people who died and got dragged through those streets, I just felt guilty as hell for watching it as entertainment.

Fine, call me a curmudgeon.

BKB

Thumper
01-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Ha! You speak fondly of the old WWII movies we grew up with (I think). Nothing like a good ol' John Wayne flick. I remember back in the day, I used to feel uncomfortable around Lynn or her family when I'd watch one of those old movies. The big grins on the GI's faces as they screamed stuff like, "Shoot that filthy Jap!!" :)

Got's ta' admit I'd squirm in my seat a bit.

Buckrub
01-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I haven't said anything, cause no one usually agrees with me anyway.

But I doubt I'd watch a movie where a lot of heroic US soldiers die, and only one gets out. I already know how brave they are. I just simply don't want to watch a bunch of them dying.

BarryBobPosthole
01-13-2014, 08:48 PM
That right there might be the difference for me too Bucky. There were a lot of deaths in the WWII movies of our day, and even in one of my favorite ones, most of the characters get killed, but it's totally different in these new movies, or at least it seems to be. I think that's what bothers me to the point I avoid watching them.

BKB

Buckrub
01-13-2014, 11:48 PM
I saw enough of that without seeing it. I saw it again standing on the wrong side of The Wall.

Thumper
01-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Well, if you want another "positive" review FWIW. This is from my buddy's Facebook page. He's kinda-sorta family (long story), but I've known him since he was born, watched him grow up, hunted with him since he was old enough to hold up a gun and he's been the Chief of Police for quite a few years where he lives.

"I had the chance to watch Lone Survivor this week. My review is this.... It's an eye opener for the American citizens. It's pretty graphic and may be a little hard to watch for some folks, with lots of blood & gore, but definitely opens your eyes to some of the things our military have faced across the pond. You have to keep in mind that this is just one story, of one mission in the Middle East and there are many more like it. You'll leave the theater with a bit more respect for our armed forces. Definitely worth watching if you can deal with reality and get past the gore. Some get on Facebook & carry on about their problems... Folks, you haven't been through a real problem until you're in those guys shoes. They experienced a real problem."

Bwana
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Posthole and Bucky, I think you guys hit the nail on the head. I have to admit though I thought the movie was done to me it just felt like it was "too soon." Not sure how to describe it exactly but if I were a family member of one of the number of soldiers killed in that action, I don't know how keen I would be on having a movie put out showing how my loved one died.

I had typed a bunch more about how the movie affected me but not sure I was making sense so erased it all. What I will say is I left the movie in awe of and very honored to have such brave men fighting for this country.

Sorry for rambling.