PDA

View Full Version : Whoa!!! I may have hit the mother-lode!

Thumper
01-12-2014, 05:02 PM
BUT ... the way my luck runs ... it's highly doubtful. :(

At that estate sale this weekend, I f'd up big time. I left here Friday morning and left my phone on the charger in my office. So, I was basically flying blind as I had no way to check prices on the internet.

While digging around, I found a pile of Kentucky Derby Mint Julep glasses for $0.50 each and there were 30 of them there. I ALMOST left them and figured I'd check back Saturday when they would be 1/2 price ... but "something" told me to gamble on them as they may not be there on Saturday, so I bought 'em for $15.00.

I started digging around on the net just a few minutes ago and some of those puppies are HIGHLY collectible! One sold for $16,750.00 !!!!! I honestly haven't even taken them out of the box to look at them yet and have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I bought. (I just threw 'em in a cardboard box at the sale, brought 'em home and haven't looked at 'em since). I think it's time I start digging and see what I have here.

What'cha wanna bet I ain't got nuttin' worth over 3 bucks? :(

Arty
01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd say the opposite...with your luck you have one worth $16,751.00!!!

My guess is the high priced ones, are the silver, or gold plated ones.

Maybe somebody famous drank outta yours.

Buckrub
01-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I had one from 1971 (Canenero II, I was there). I put it in the dishwasher, and it broke to pieces.

Note: Those glasses are HIGHLY thin glass!!!

Thumper
01-12-2014, 06:54 PM
These seem to have the Libbey glass trademark and seem to be about as thick as the average drinking glass.

From what I've seen on The Bay, I could have an easy $300 or more in glasses here. :D

HideHunter
01-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I hope so Thump. Couple years ago I was digging around in some junk and came up with a perfect "Seabiscuit" Cup - shaped like a horses head from, Delmar Thoroughbred Club.. Made in China - it's really cool. Unfortunately, it's really worthless too. :D

Buckrub
01-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Well, mine was authentic. It actually had a nasty Mint Julep in it at one time~~~!!!! :)

Captain
01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
They have never made a nasty Mint Julep.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
01-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Well, mine was authentic. It actually had a nasty Mint Julep in it at one time~~~!!!! :)

These are authentic also and Libbey makes the Mint Julep glasses for the Derby. I have glasses from 1975 - 2002, plus there are some Preakness glasses mixed in as well as a couple of special editions ... a 1947 winner (Jet Pilot) as well as a Triple Crown (40th anniversary?) 1919-1959.