PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale research 101

Thumper
01-15-2014, 11:33 AM
The sellers usually feature pics of the stuff they think is important ... the other stuff might be priced really low. Look at the pics on-line ... but be SURE to scan the background. Ya' see 'em? ;)

http://pictures.estatesales.net/558708/11654338/1.jpg

Thumper
01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Here's another one of this weekend's sales. I don't care about that little ceramic Christmas tree ... but ya' see that Lance jar in the background? It's worth $80-$100!

http://pictures.estatesales.net/527280/11601852/1.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Thump, check on the prices of those fly rod and reel combos. I'm looking for something in the 4-5 wt range and in the less than $50 range if they're that cheap. And I'm not looking to pay you what you pay for them! Just whatever you think they're worth to you if you sold them on ebay.

BKB

hotshot
01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
are those JFK's golf clubs? (Seinfeld episode).

HideHunter
01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
coolllll.. front reel looks like a 1492 Medalist. I have one I use all the time Marked Akron USA with the trademark in the middle. Mildly collectible. Rod looks like a cheap glass. Back rod looks like better quality but I can't make out the reel. As I've said - we don't have "estate sales" here. We have "auctions" and most stuff brings higher than new.

Thumper
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm not positive I'll be catching these sales (they're in Orlando) ... just doing a bit of research in case. Saturday's my birthday and Lynn's taking me to Orlando for the weekend. (Got a room at the Hyatt and prolly some sort of dinner surprise). I have a big "barn" estate sale here close to the house on Friday. If there's anything exciting that I have the will power to let slide on Friday, I'd like to be there bright and early on Saturday for 1/2 price day. BUT ... If I buy what I want on Friday (full price) and there's really nothing I can't live without still there ... we'll head to Orlando early in the AM and hit a few sales there. Of course, that won't be until Saturday, so it'll be "left-overs".

BUT ... if I do make it to the Orlando sales and they're still there, I'll grab 'em if they look like a good deal. I'd LOVE to get that Lance jar ... but I'm sure SOMEBODY will know what it is worth and buy it on Friday (but ya' never know).