PDA

View Full Version : Thumper, you were right!

Captain
01-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Posthole will prolly make me move this to the Fishing forum once we get one but here goes...

Your grandfathers reel is a jewel. It was as you suspected full of old hard grease. I completely tore it down and degreased the whole thing oiled and reassembled it.
It has got to be the smoothest spin cast reel I've ever seen. I'll spool it up with some line and it will make for a damn good little outfit.
Thanks dude, I'll get on the Zebco 33 soon
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
01-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Cool beans man! I'd really like to see someone get some use out of it. It's waaay too light for the monsters I catch! ;)

Captain
01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Me too, but I figured I could loan it to Len or Posthole on one of our trips. :D

Thumper
01-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Me too, but I figured I could loan it to Len or Posthole on one of our trips. :D

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Are those gears plastic Cappy? Can't really tell in the pics. I believe the 100B was the first year Johnson switched to plastic gears (not really sure that's a good thing). Man, that thing brings back memories. Seems like just yesterday when I bought that reel, but it was 1962 and I was 10 years old. You know the ironic part? I gave it to my grandfather here at the Florida house and he took it to the North Carolina house where he fished the Tuckasegee River with it. My grandmother brought it back to Florida after he passed away ('64) and gave it back to me. I'm happy to see someone like you end up with it ... AND it went full circle, Florida - N.C. - Florida - N.C. ;)

Captain
01-16-2014, 10:43 PM
All gears and springs are steel and in great shape. The "teeth" on the gears and worm are sharp. There are a couple of bushings but I don't they think plastic, I think they are either nylon or Bakelite. They are not cracked like you would expect plastics to be. All in all that reel is solid and can be used for many years.

LJ3
01-16-2014, 11:17 PM

There's no need to be ugly! I was gonna make you a custom rod for it but now I"m not so sure!

Captain
01-17-2014, 07:09 AM
I was not being ugly, I thought you and Posthole would be honored for a chance to use the reel? ;)

Niner
01-17-2014, 08:38 AM
That rig will be just the ticket for those titty-bream you've got at your farm! :thumbsup

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
As long as there's no barbed wire fences going across the pond, I'm good.

BKB

hotshot
01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
I have a reel just like that from my Grampa attached to a fiberglass rod that was just awesome in 1970. Next to it is another pole that was his. The second one has the sensitivity of a broom handle. It is also a spin cast reel, but it hangs below the rod: similar to a spinning reel. Every time I see those rods, I think of all the walks to the pond, the fish we caught, the trips to the "Crick" to seine fish to stock the pond(bass, bluegills, sunfish, minnows and crawdads). My most memorable trip: the 18 bass my brother and I caught during a downpour on beetle spins.
Scott