PDA

View Full Version : Kick ass estate sale! (wish we had a fishing forum)

Thumper
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
I went to that "barn sale" this morning and had a blast! Man-o-man, crap was piled up everywhere. I was so dirty when I got home, I had to take a shower ... and it's not even Saturday yet! :D

BUT ... I made a rookie mistake. Actually I'm close to being a veteran "picker" and am usually well prepared, but I had a couple things working against me. For one, only ONE light was working in this barn and it was DARK in there (I forgot my flashlight!). Anything I was half way interested in, I had to take to the door (or one of only two windows in the barn) to get a good look at it. I found tons of cool stuff ... but didn't spend too much time on fishing items. I counted 38 rod/reel combos as well as 16 old cane poles ... 1-piece, 3-piece and collapsible units. BUT ... the stuff was WELL used and I was told a nephew had already come in and cleaned out all the quality fishing gear for himself. This stuff was just the LEFTOVERS! I dug out 6 old tackle boxes but the decent lures were gone and just some old junky ones remained.

Heck, there were two old trolling motors (Johnson and Evinrude) in 10HP and 7 1/2HP. Lots of old hunting stuff .. camo clothing, deer stands (climbers), snake boots, gaiters, etc, etc. as well as old camping gear. It was a barn, so there were tons of tools, welders, generators ... you name it, it was in there! Oh, Cappy ... I found you an old "FORD" wrench ... not sure if it's an auto or tractor wrench. (I'll take a pic later). As I've said before, I usually stick to small, easy to ship stuff I can make a buck or two on. I won't even attempt to go through the list of "junk" I picked up, but I did dig up a couple of really cool old items!

These bring pretty good money on "The Bay". I have more pics, but I'll just post a couple to see if any o'youse OLD farts can tell me what these are. Anyone? :D

2387 2388

HideHunter
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Fish scaler

Buckrub
01-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Cricket Cage. Fish Scaler. Pet Roach Box.

And don't you carry a flashlight to these things???????

Thumper
01-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Yep, that was my rookie mistake. I always carry one of those small Maglites with me, but after my last sale, I brought it in the house to replace the batteries. I left it lying here on my desk this morning. Dang!

What made it tough this morning, the old homestead was so far out in the sticks, I had no internet service. I had to "wing it" for pricing as I couldn't research anything. Once I got home, I found I did really well.

I just realized if you put your cursor over the pics, it tells you what they are. Yep, fish scalers. I think they're pretty cool and they're bringing $50 - $100 on eBay.

HideHunter
01-17-2014, 12:23 PM
I saw one of these in use in MN a number of years ago. Ran into some old-timers who were hard-core perch fishermen. I didn't see the results but they swore it worked. Cool find.. Ever see a Bob Bett Bait Box? Used one as a kid constantly.. still have it.

Thumper
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Judging by all the fishing gear around this place, I'd guess the old guy knew what worked ... and he had two of these that both look like they've been used quite a few times. I had my truck loaded with stuff ... even some old WWII stuff, a pile of hand tools, a 1960 Evinrude Outboard Motor factory repair manual, 5-6 old Disston hand saws ... a shit-load of stuff. I offered 'em $60 for the whole pile and they were happy with it. :D

Thumper
01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey Cappy, here's an old Ford wrench for ya'.

2396 2391

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Are we gonna have the batteries/hot pockets discussion again?

How do those fish scalers work?

BKB

Thumper
01-17-2014, 12:56 PM
I saw one of these in use in MN a number of years ago. Ran into some old-timers who were hard-core perch fishermen. I didn't see the results but they swore it worked. Cool find.. Ever see a Bob Bett Bait Box? Used one as a kid constantly.. still have it.

Yeah, I've seen those Hidey-Ho. (I think it's Bob-Bet though).

I found one of those old "half-moon" cricket boxes a while back. Cappy has it now.

2397 2398

Niner
01-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Thump, are you running IOS7 on your iPhone?
If not, it may do this anyway. I discovered it by accident.

I'm guessing it will do this from several places, but I have found this to be the "easiest".

From looking at a thread with the Safari browser on your phone, put your finger at the bottom of the screen and RAPIDLY swipe up towards the top of the screen. That will bring up a funky little menu. If you hit the flashlight icon, the camera flash will turn into a flashlight. I know there are apps out there that do the same thing too.

Niner
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Here's another way to access it too...

http://www.imore.com/how-use-your-iphone-flashlight-ios-7

Thumper
01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Well dang it Crow9! I have the flashlight app on my phone and have used it many times. I TOTALLY forgot I had it this morning! Sheeesh! What a PumPHeAd!

Thumper
01-17-2014, 01:40 PM
How do those fish scalers work? BKB

P-hole, ya' just throw your fish in the thing when you're ready to go back to the dock. (It will do a PILE of fish at one time.) If you have about a 10 min run, ya' drag it behind the boat and the fish are all scaled and ready to clean by time you get back to the dock. I found a YouTube video, but it pretty much sucks.

Thumper
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Another of today's finds ... an old Outer's Shotgun Cleaning Rod. It ain't worth a whole lot, but I think the "older" stuff is kinda cool. Note the heavy, knurled aluminum handle instead of the plastic crap we have today.

2393 2394 2395

Niner
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I got one KINDOF like that at a yard sale yeeeaaarrrssss ago....except it is wooden with brass fittings.
Maybe I need to "bay" it.

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
That scale remover sounds like its gotta hurt like hell. Not any worse than a ten year old with a spoon, but still, MAN thats gotta smart.

BKB

Thumper
01-17-2014, 04:35 PM
I got one KINDOF like that at a yard sale yeeeaaarrrssss ago....except it is wooden with brass fittings.
Maybe I need to "bay" it.

Yeah Co9, that sounds persactly like the one I picked up at a sale a few months ago. I gave it to Cappy when we were up there last. As for eBay, I don't think they were bringing much money, once the fees and shipping are factored in, there's "not much meat on the bone" (as Mike & Frank would say), but it was too cool not to pick up.

HideHunter
01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I've seen those Hidey-Ho. (I think it's Bob-Bet though).

I found one of those old "half-moon" cricket boxes a while back. Cappy has it now.

]

Well - you made me look.. but you were right.. ;) Bob Bet.. Really worked pretty well if it didn't get too hot out. I packed mine a thousand miles

Captain
01-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Ah, something tells me that Ford wrench is gonna hurt? ;) Lots of cool finds there thumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner