PDA

View Full Version : Home Security....anyone know anything about these guys???

Buckrub
01-17-2014, 06:44 PM
http://simplisafe.com/

Thumper
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't follow blind links. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2014, 08:26 PM
I haven't heard of them but share what you find out with me and I'll do the same. One of my resolutions for this year is to upgrade hvac controls and security system upgrade.

BKB

Buckrub
01-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Wife's on my back to do something.........with all the days I'm gone from here. This at least looks affordable, somewhat.

I watched the video. What I can't figure out is why you don't need a sensor on every window? And if so, how does that work? And what does the monthly 'fee' cover anyway, if I buy the system.....just the availability of them being on the end of the line I guess....

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Most use motion detectors instead of sensors on the windows nowadays. You can cover a whole room and several windows with one sensor that way.

BKB

Buckrub
01-17-2014, 09:14 PM
"IR" motion detectors don't detect motion. Same with game cameras. They detect heat. I WISH there was a true motion detector.

So........this thing works by allowing the perp INSIDE, and THEN detects him????

Niner
01-17-2014, 09:50 PM
If you wanna detect the perp outside, you'll need a Rottweiler.

Buckrub
01-17-2014, 09:58 PM
I want the alarm to go off when he TRIES to get in, not after.

Captain
01-17-2014, 10:43 PM
I want the alarm to go off when he TRIES to get in, not after.

You will have to invent it. Or hire round the clock security...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
01-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Don't trust IR motion sensors. I'm in industrial sales and stock a bunch of copper wire. We were robbed Thursday night and the thieves got 3 reels that were at least 275lbs each before the alarm scared them. They cut through outer metal wall, and plywood inner, and then had to push a large stack of pallets about 3ft to get into the building. 2 sensors from 2 different angles were pointing right where they entered. Had to be more than 1 person as they stole reels off a shelf about 4ft up, rolled them out of the building, and over a steep bank through thick woods. Point is, they moved around a lot inside before the alarm tripped.

Niner
01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Certainly nothing wrong with putting a contact sensor on each window and door, as long as the system can handle that many zones.

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2014, 10:24 AM
The sensors in my system are IR and I defy anyone to be able to get past them without setting them off. The other thing to do is add exterior lighting with motion sensors as well.

If somebody wants in yourvhome badly enough, they're going to defeat just about any system you could afford. The whole idea is to discourage the 99% that won't even attempt it if you have a good quality system. I'm going to add cameras to my entrances and a few other places outside this year. We haven't had any problems in my neighborhood but there's no sense in waiting for trouble before you act.

The main issue we've had around here is people leaving their garage doors open and getting stuff randomly snatched. I caught a young fucker standing in my yard one night looking over at my neighbor's driveway because she'd left her garage door open. I'm still convinced he was a neighbor kid. The old burglar alarm that sounds like a BPS jacking a shell into the barrel about made him jump through his own asshole.

BKB

Thumper
01-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Don't you wish you'd have had that camera set up when your fishing equipment got lifted from your truck? I remember the battle with the cops and it seems you had a lead on who did it (or sumpin' like that). What ever happened with that? I don't remember the outcome.

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2014, 11:28 AM
That was fishing equipment and guns. And i ended up finding my rifle scope with a picture of my rifle on ebay and taking it to the 'detective' who was working my case. We cooked up a plan and I bid on the scope and I won the bid. When it was shipped to me I took it to him unopened and described exactly what it looked like, showed him the original box it came in, and told him about a scratch on the right side of the scope where it rubbed the donsole of my truck. He then opened it and confirmed all I told him. I didn't have the serial number but he thought that would be enough. The DA told him they didn't have enough probable fucking cause to go search the guy's house. I guess that is discretionary in law enforcement. The guy got away scott free. I now know who took it and who fenced it, but the cops will do nothing. Too busy chasing teenagers for pot. The detective even told me it was no skin off my nose since I could claim it on insurance. I will be pissed off about this until I go to my grave.

BKB

Thumper
01-18-2014, 12:00 PM
So, essentially, you paid for it TWICE! Ouch.

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Which it would have been worth it to catch the guy. The detective told me they knew this guy was a bad guy and if they searched him, he knew they'd find hot stuff in his house. He had a regular Thursday night auction on ebay for Chrissakes. And the stuff he sold was golf clubs, wheels, bicycles, and a lot of car electronics. Sound even a bit iffy to you?
My local law dogs are worthless at this. They didn't even know how to look at ebay. Its the first place I lokked. Took me about TWO HOURS of searching to find it. I gave them a printed copy of the photo he posted on ebay, his name, and his address. They did nothing.
Yesterday one was sitting at the 4way stop in front of my house in his tijuana taxi ticketing soccer moms for not stopping all the way. Chickenshit bastards.

Buckrub
01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
My mother has ADT. She has sensors on the windows. If you rattle 'em, alarm goes off and ADT gets called. That's what I meant by catching them BEFORE they get in.

Here are the four methods for "motion detection". Most (all?) game cameras use PIR. PIR is NOT motion detection per se. It detects heat. That's why most game cameras don't capture weeds whipping in the wind, or birds flying by. I'd think an Ultrasonic sensor would be best, but apparently no one sells such things unless you are Al Gore's house.

There are four types of sensors used in motion sensor spectrum:

Passive infrared (PIR)
Passive infrared sensors detect a person's body heat as it changes against the background of the room. No energy is emitted from the sensor, thus the name "passive infrared" (PIR).
Ultrasonic
Sends out pulses of ultrasonic waves (acoustic sound waves above the frequency that a human can hear) and measures the reflection off a moving object. Motion causes the frequency of the reflected wave to change (Doppler effect).
Microwave
A microwave sensor sends out electromagnetic pulses and measures the changes in frequency (Doppler) due to reflection off a moving object.
Tomographic motion detector
Tomographic motion detection systems sense disturbances to radio waves as they pass from node to node of a mesh network. They have the ability to detect over complete areas because they can sense through walls and obstructions.

Trav
01-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Alarms are easy just do what I did, Neapolitan mastiff with insomnia. If somebody walk on the sidewalk on the other side of the street I know about it no matter what the time is.