PDA

View Full Version : Attention Rifle Loonies.....

Niner
01-18-2014, 09:45 AM
I gots a question for yall....
What pull weight do you prefer on your hunting rife(s)?
My ancient Win M70 is set right at 2.14#, give or take a tenth of an ounce.... according to my trigger gauge.

The trigger on my new one was breaking at almost 4#. This rifle has Winchester's newfangled MOA trigger, which is user adjustable. The adjustments on this trigger are similar to the adjustments on the Remington M700.

One is supposed to be able to get the pull weight on this newfangled trigger down to 3#, but the lowest I was able to get it down to was 3.5#. So, I did some Googling and found this guy at ernietegunsmth.com. He has light(er) weight springs for a great many rifles! I ordered one for my M70 MOA trigger.

I installed the new spring yesterday, and WOW what a difference. I set the pull weight right at 2.10#......and it is very repeatable, according to my scale. I may go back and increase it a tad, but I think I'll have to go shooting first to see how she feels now.

So....what trigger weight do y'all prefer for your hunting rifles?

Thumper
01-18-2014, 10:27 AM
So....what trigger weight do y'all prefer for your hunting rifles?

I have a rifle and I'm loonie, does that count? In fact, I have my favorite rifle torn down right now. I weighed the trigger and it's only about 0.03 oz. :D

Ha! I have no clue. EVERY gun I've ever owned has been used right out of the box. I guess I've never been all that serious about "shooting". As far as hunting is concerned, I VERY seldom missed. 'Course, I'm not going for head-shots on chipmunks at 500 yards. I hunted mostly deer and bear so if I was 1/2" off at 50-75 yards, it didn't really matter. Otherwise, I used a shotgun and with a bazillion pellets headed downrange ... I STILL wasn't worried about being a 1/2" off! ;)

Buckrub
01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
2.5 is what I strive for. My M70 couldn't be set below 4 lbs.........at least not by the guy I took it to. It came from the factory at ELEVEN FLIPPING POUNDS. You had to stand on it. That, and 3 position safeties, are the dreamworks of the American Lawyer System.

There is a difference (to me) in what I like sitting at a bench and sighting in or shooting in the field in the cold with gloves on.

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I dunno. all I know is I want it to go off right before I thought it would.

BKB

Niner
01-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Bucky, if I remember correctly yours was made before 2008. Is that right? My pre64 had a terribly stiff trigger. About '95 or so, I took it to a gunsmith to have a "trigger job" done on it. I think he charged me something like $35. Some of the best money I ever spent. Surely yours can be gotten below 4#.

Funny thing about Winny safeties. Some work smoothly, and some of them ya danged near half to have a set of vice grips to move. And I DON'T know why that is. Surely there has to be a fix for that.

Buckrub
01-18-2014, 03:38 PM
New in 1996. Gunsmith wasn't sharpest knife in drawer.

Bwana
01-18-2014, 07:42 PM
I try for about 3 lbs as most of our hunting is done with warm gloves on though could understand less if the cold wasn't an issue b

Gunther
01-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Don't really care about weight, I want clean. I have a range of about 3 oz to about 6.5 pounds. The 3 oz is a set on a 1874 Sharps, the 6 1/2 is on a Garand. Most I reckon come in 2-3.

WORST factory trigger I remember was on my kids Yogoslahoovian '06 which is strange because every other Zastava I seed could be made pretty decent. This one pulled about 3 inches at about 15 pounds and then would grind and break at about 5. Make a brass monkey flinch.

Captain
01-19-2014, 07:50 AM
I like a trigger about 2 pounds, however like Gunther I rather a trigger break crisp and clean than worry about the poundage. I don't like a creepy trigger.
And that old crossbow I have I think it breaks at about 28 lbs... It is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner