PDA

View Full Version : Two men and a young'un....Duck hunt.

Big Muddy
01-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Three words.....screw steel shot!!!
Me and my son got showed up by grandson.
First, I missed the doe this week, now the ducks are laughing at me.
We shoulda killed the limit.
Had plenty of mallards come in, and they tried landing on top of the day'um decoys, and the grandson is the only one who can hit sheeit. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm kind of right there with ya on steel shot, Eddie. It doesn't have the knockdown power of lead but it cuts more, which I think leads to more cripples flying off and dying. I don't have any statistics to back that up, just a whole buttload of ducks I've killed and missed over the years.

But I don't like steel shot and I ain't gonna pay what they want for bismuth. so I just get the highest brass steel shot I can find and go for it. Remington Nitro is what I usually shoot. I haven't tried the hypersonic.

BKB

BKB

Thumper
01-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Why's that boy look so danged happy? He been taking lessons from Cappy? ;)

Big Muddy
01-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Hahaha....the boy is freezing his azz off....we ALL were....24 degrees.
Had to bust ice to put out decoys.
And, the water re-froze around them in 15 minutes.
Had to wade out and bust it up several times, so the ducks could land.

Bwana
01-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Good for the youngun he appears to be a hunting machine.

Big Muddy
01-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Yep, and he's pretty darned good with those duck calls on the end of that bright green lanyard, around his neck, too.

Buckrub
01-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Good Grief! No wonder you kill deer. I can see 80 yards into that clean-floored forest behind him!!! Geez. I can't see 80 feet without napalm and a L541........

Captain
01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Nice looking young man there Edward! Congrats on getting him out in such cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
01-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Good Grief! No wonder you kill deer. I can see 80 yards into that clean-floored forest behind him!!! Geez. I can't see 80 feet without napalm and a L541........

Haha!!!.....that isn't a forest, Bucky....those are little saplings along the edge of the duck hole, barely 50 feet wide....the reason it appears clean is, I flood it, and hardly any under-brush grows there.

hotshot
01-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Do a bunch of Duck hunting- for a Hoosier at least.
My shooting preferences go with Black Cloud, Blindside, and my fav: Hyper steel by Remington.
The extra velocity seems to work its magic. I do suggest that you get a firm grip on your stock before squeezing off on the hyper steel. Tends to jump in your hand just a tad if you do not have a solid grip.
When shooting Decoys: Luke tends to prefer BB sized steel shot. Sinks 'em quick!

BarryBobPosthole
01-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I'd laugh but 'been there, done that!'. Of course I was much younger then!

BKB