PDA

View Full Version : Attention Virginia Hunting Dufi

LJ3
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
House Bill 1237 to repeal the ban on Sunday Hunting in Virginia will be heard THIS WENESDAY January 22nd at 8:30 AM in the Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources Committee.

We need your help!

We've identified 9 key legislators that need to hear from supporters before the committee hearing on Wednesday.

The General Assembly is open today - if you live or hunt in any of these localities, please call your legislator today!

Delegate Tony Wilt - Rockingham County, Harrisonburg City

Phone: (804) 698-1026,
Email: DelTWilt@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Charles Poindexter - Franklin County, Henry County, Patrick County

Phone: (804) 698-1009
DelCPoindexter@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Matthew Fariss - Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell and Nelson Counties

Phone: (804) 698-1059
Email: DelMFariss@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Daniel Marshall - Henry County, Pittsylvania County, Danville City

Phone: (804) 698-1014
Email: DelDMarshall@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Robert Orrock - Caroline and Spotsylvania Counties

Phone: (804) 698-1054
Email: DelBOrrock@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Thomas Wright - Amelia, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg and Nottoway Counties

Phone: (804) 698-1061
Email: DelTWright@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Edward Scott - Culpeper, Madison and Orange Counties

Phone: (804) 698-1030
Email: DelEScott@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Luke Torian - Prince William County

Phone: (804) 698-1052
Email: DelLTorian@house.virginia.gov
Delegate R. Lee Ware - Chesterfield, Fluvanna, Goochland and Powhatan Counties

Phone: (804) 698-1065
Email: DelLWare@house.virginia.gov
IF YOU CAN ATTEND ON WEDNESDAY

WHAT: Virginia Sunday Hunting Bill to be heard in Hosue Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources Committee.

HB1234 - Delegate Todd Gilbert

WHEN: Wednesday, January 22, 8:30 AM - PLEASE ARRIVE NOT LATER THAN 8:00 AM.

WHERE: House Room C – General Assembly Building (Corner of 9th and Broad Street Richmond, VA)

DIRECTIONS:
The General Assembly Building (GAB) is on the corner of 9th and Broad Street in downtown Richmond.
Directions from the North
• Take I-95 South
• Take 3rd Street exit and cross Broad Street
• Turn left onto Franklin Street and follow until it dead-ends
• Turn left onto 9th Street
Directions from the South
• Take I-95 North
• Take I-195, Downtown Expressway
• Take Canal Street/9th Street exit
• Turn right onto 9th Street
Directions from the East
• Take I-64 West
• Take 5th Street exit and cross Broad Street
• Turn left onto Franklin Street and follow until it dead-ends
Directions from the West
• Take I-64 East
• Take I-195, Downtown Expressway, through toll booth
• Take 7th/9th Street exit and go straight

House Room C is on the first floor of the General Assembly Building. When you enter through security, go right. Senate Room C will be ion your right. We will have people with stickers to greet you.

PARKING: There are four free general public spaces (1 hour) on the north side of Bank Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. A limited number of metered public parking spaces (2 hours) are located on the west side of 10th Street, between Main and Bank Streets, on Bank Street, between Governor and 14th Streets, on the south side of Main Street, between 9th and 12th Streets and on 12th Street between Main and Bank Streets and on Franklin Street. Pay parking lots and decks are nearby on 8th and Grace Street and 7th and Marshall Streets. Downloadable maps of nearby parking lots and decks are available, as well as rates for these areas. There are four free general public spaces (1 hour) on the north side of Bank Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. A limited number of metered public parking spaces (2 hours) are located on the west side of 10th Street, between Main and Bank Streets, on Bank Street, between Governor and 14th Streets, on the south side of Main Street, between 9th and 12th Streets and on 12th Street between Main and Bank Streets and on Franklin Street. Pay parking lots and decks are nearby on 8th and Grace Street and 7th and Marshall Streets.

Virginia Sunday Hunting Coalition

BarryBobPosthole
01-20-2014, 01:27 PM
I wonder about laws like these. This seems to be much like some of our strange liquor laws here in Oklahoma, where only 3.2 beer can be bought outside a liquor store and no wine or liquor whatsoever can be found in supermarkets. there almost has to be some monetary advantage for some powers that be in keeping these laws intact. I think its the beer and liquor distributorships (I believe there are only a gang of five of them with no newcomers allowed) in Oklahoma that hold that political clout. I wonder who it is that holds that clout in Virginia to keep this one going?

BKB

Arty
01-20-2014, 03:20 PM
I just sent an email and made a phone call as well.
Thanks For posting this LJ.

I've always heard dog hunters are against Sunday Hunting, and a lot of dog hunters line the pockets of these guys.

Chicken Dinner
01-20-2014, 03:24 PM
This is actually huge as it is the first time the proposed legislation has by-passed a sub-committee of 5 members that are wine by the deer doggers who, along with the Farm Bureau, fix hunters and HSUS, are opposed.

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Lordy. Archer and I used to discuss this back in the day...... I said some lawyer should take on the State. Clearly, Sunday hunting ban has no biological reason, thus it's religion based, and would be thrown out in a second if it only gets to Supreme Court. I still think that.

Good luck with passing this. But it's insane why it exists, and is not constitutional in any way.

BarryBobPosthole
01-20-2014, 05:55 PM
The politicians will say that its a guaranteed day off each week for the poor working stiffs who'd just use that day to go hunting so the state makes sure they spend it with a women around to tell them what to do.

BKB

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't work in this state. Half the women are hunters.

BarryBobPosthole
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, half the women may check in deer.......

And just to poke the Captain Bear again, you're guilty on that one till proven innocent.

BKB

Thumper
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
I wonder about laws like these. This seems to be much like some of our strange liquor laws here in Oklahoma, where only 3.2 beer can be bought outside a liquor store and no wine or liquor whatsoever can be found in supermarkets. there almost has to be some monetary advantage for some powers that be in keeping these laws intact. I think its the beer and liquor distributorships (I believe there are only a gang of five of them with no newcomers allowed) in Oklahoma that hold that political clout. I wonder who it is that holds that clout in Virginia to keep this one going? BKB

We have similar goofy laws here too P-hole. No Sunday alcohol sales until after 12 noon on Sundays (I assume so we'll all go to church Sunday morning instead of grabbing a 6-pack of beer to watch the Nastycar race). Only beer and wine can be sold in super markets, liquor has to be sold in "liquor stores". To get around that, most of the major grocers here have simply added a "liquor store" adjoining the main store ... OR, some have simply put up a wall to separate the main store from the liquor department and added a door in the front. Stupid. But the container laws are really goofy, you can buy beer in 32oz. or 128oz. containers, but a 64oz. (1/2 gal. "growler") is illegal to sell. Just a few years ago, beer could only be sold in containers 32oz. or less ... OR a 128oz. container ... nothing in between!

It's also illegal for a retail outlet to buy beer directly from a manufacturer, it MUST go through a distributor. So, if a retail outlet is across the street from the brewery and the nearest distributor is 100 miles away ... the product must be shipped 100 miles to the distributor, then shipped back 100 miles to the retail outlet across the street from where it was shipped from in the first place. No such thing as "factory direct". (Hmmm, now that I think about it, I wonder how that works with micro-breweries???) There must be some sort of loop-hole as I assume that would be similar to Busch Gardens selling beer at their brewery. Seems like a stupid, complicated web to me.

Arty
01-20-2014, 08:02 PM
We have similar goofy laws here too P-hole. No Sunday alcohol sales until after 12 noon on Sundays (I assume so we'll all go to church Sunday morning instead of grabbing a 6-pack of beer to watch the Nastycar race). Only beer and wine can be sold in super markets, liquor has to be sold in "liquor stores". To get around that, most of the major grocers here have simply added a "liquor store" adjoining the main store ... OR, some have simply put up a wall to separate the main store from the liquor department and added a door in the front. Stupid. But the container laws are really goofy, you can buy beer in 32oz. or 128oz. containers, but a 64oz. (1/2 gal. "growler") is illegal to sell. Just a few years ago, beer could only be sold in containers 32oz. or less ... OR a 128oz. container ... nothing in between!

It's also illegal for a retail outlet to buy beer directly from a manufacturer, it MUST go through a distributor. So, if a retail outlet is across the street from the brewery and the nearest distributor is 100 miles away ... the product must be shipped 100 miles to the distributor, then shipped back 100 miles to the retail outlet across the street from where it was shipped from in the first place. No such thing as "factory direct". (Hmmm, now that I think about it, I wonder how that works with micro-breweries???) There must be some sort of loop-hole as I assume that would be similar to Busch Gardens selling beer at their brewery. Seems like a stupid, complicated web to me.

This has nothing to do with Sunday hunting, but it made me think of something that I will never forget (your Busch Gardens comment).

I went to Kings Mill Resort in Williamsburg about 5 years ago for a company thing. At dinner we were drinking draft beer, and the waiter asks "is that not the best beer you've ever had?". We commented that it was in fact very tasty (as all beer is). He then told us that the CEO of Anheiser was on the property and that they "changed the plumbing around" so that all the draft beer on the property was 24 hours or less old. He said it's usually 3-4 days old. Apparently he was sitting in the conference room next to us.

Damn, it was good beer.

Thumper
01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I look at Sunday hunting the same as any other "Blue Law". What could possibly be the reason a Sunday is any different than a Wednesday, unless there are underlying religious reasons ... usually dating back to the Stone Age? ANY "Blue Law" is another Separation of Church and State argument IMHO.

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Couldn't agree more, Thump.

And the Virginia Supreme Court would agree with both of us, if some lawyer would ever get it to that point.

Chicken Dinner
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Fellas, this is huge. The Ag Committee just passed this to the full House for an up or down vote. Similar legislation passed last year in the Senate before the Ag Subcommittee (7 members owned by the opposition) killed it. So, it's time to email and phone your legiscritters. There were times when I never thought this could happen and we are so close. Let's flood these guys with contact and push it over the top!

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2014, 11:59 AM
What is up with that ex-governor of y'alls'?

Sounds like a witch hunt from an outsider's view. then again, who accepts 'loans and gifts' from some guy that owns a nutrition company? Is 'nutrition company' a euphemism for 'crook'?

BKB

Buckrub
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
To Hank and Len, that means "Beer Distributor".

Chicken Dinner
01-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Bucky, I like the way you think! Barry, I think it's a little of both. Basically, they're prosecuting him for business as usual in politics. Of course, business as usual is pretty shady to start with...

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
The State House just rejected an amendment to allow Counties to opt out of allowing Sunday Hunting. (This is excellent news!) The final reading and vote could come as early as tomorrow. Even if you've already called or emailed, do it again!

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Approved by the State House 71 - 27 just now. It's companion bill goes before the Senate Committee on Thursday. While we are so close, it's not over yet. Even if you've already checked in with your Senator, please do so again.

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Congrats on the progress, Virginians!

BKB

Arty
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
CD, don't you think it'll pass senate with flying colors? They've passed them in the past.

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 02:01 PM
I'd have to say yes as the Senate voted (25-11) to lift the ban entirely back in 2012. This legislation is a compromise that will only lift it on private lands with the written permission of the landowner. However, it's not the time to ease up the pressure. We need to push through to the finish line.

I will say that my happy ass will be sitting somewhere with a gun in my hand on the first Sunday I am able.

Thumper
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Happy ass??? Would that make you a smiling asshole? :D

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 02:10 PM
I don't care what it makes me as along as I get to starting shooting shit on Sunday...

Niner
01-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Congrats. Welcome to the 20th century.

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Word.

airbud7
01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
I lived in sandston va when I was a kid, right beside the airport...I remember just walking in the airport every day watching the big planes land...Cant do that stuff these days?

Can you folks buy beer in wal-mart on sunday?

Thumper
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Airbud, that used to be one of my favorite pastimes as a kid. Many nights I'd go to the airport (Memphis), go upstairs in the main terminal and they had an outside deck, with a view of the runways, that you could sit on. I'd even take dates there sometimes (like after dinner and/or a movie). If the weather was nice, it was a nice relaxing evening just watching the planes land and take off. I guess that's another "thing of the past".

airbud7
01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Yea thump^...I still love that stuff...