PDA

View Full Version : Lake Question for the OK Contingent

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 08:29 PM
What, if anything, do you guys know about Lake Wister? Some guys on the Arkansas Crappie.Com site said they are doing ok there. It has some nice campgrounds, with sewer!! (hard to find in a campground). Pictures look like a big old open lake, though........not my idea of crappie heaven. Still, it's close enough to get to......

What's the skinny?

BarryBobPosthole
01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Its only a few miles from my hometown. My brother slays big crappie onthat lake. Let me know if you decide to go. The campgrounds are very nice. I spent most weekend evenings watching the submarine races from them when I was a teenager.
The water is pretty stained there. Much like Dardanelle I'd say. The lake is pretty shallow so get a good topo map of the lake and be careful. There's stump fields there in four feet of water that'll scare the bejeebers out of you. The Fourche Maline channel is where I'd concentrate. Mallard used to kill the crappie below the dam fishing from the bank. Not sure if he'd dhare or not. He's a uppity fly fisherman now. But that fishing is asshole to elbow.
There's better lakes and better camping and better crappie fishing nearby. Cedar Lake is one I'd recommend.

BKB

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I'd call you before I went.

IF you still answer the phone. You didn't used to ever. :lmao

Buckrub
01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Geez.

Cedar Lake has 78 acres. As in Seventy plus Eight. I got a 115 hp motor and a 19' boat man. Geez. Geez.

You on crack............

BarryBobPosthole
01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Its a little lake but I've had my big boat on it several times. Its just ten times more scenic and to me has ten times better fishing. The current state record largemouth is from there too. The campgrounds are just pretty as a picture. the crappies are usually found around where the standpipe in the lake is.
Wister has big crappies too mind you. But I was going that far to camp and fish, I'd pick Cedar.

BKB

Buckrub
01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Wister is closer. And I can't justify dragging a boat and a camper almost 200 miles to stay at a farm pond, man.................. I mean, I'd fish it if I lived there, sure. But as a destination to camp and fish?

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Since you put it that way, I wouldn't drive 100 to fish in the mudhole that is Wister. so I guess it prolly wouldn't be worth your while in either case.

BKB

LJ3
01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Wister is closer. And I can't justify dragging a boat and a camper almost 200 miles to stay at a farm pond, man.................. I mean, I'd fish it if I lived there, sure. But as a destination to camp and fish?

Bucky, your wife called. She said something like "I thought size didn't matter?!?!?!"