PDA

View Full Version : What's with the folks at Walmart???....

Big Muddy
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
I've seen this in three different Walmart stores....if you go to the store before about 9 am, there's folks fast-walking around the perimeter aisle areas, inside the store....they're not jogging, but dang near it.

I hadn't paid a lot of attention to it, until recently, when an older guy that I recognized, nearly ran over me at the fruit and vegetable area....I asked him what he was doing, and he said speed-walking.

Evidently, Walmart either allows or encourages folks to use the inside of their stores for getting their exercise....not too long ago, I saw a rather chunky lady, wearing speedos, face-plant the big cough syrup display case, when she was rounding the corner by the dog food aisle.

Any of ya'll seen this in your stores???

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Haven't seen it here, but then again I don't get out much.

BKB

Thumper
01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Never seen it at Wally World ... but it may be a "small town" alternative to what is popular down here. They're called "mall walkers". Usually the older, retired groups and they show up early in the morning when the mall first opens, many stores aren't even open yet and there are no crowds. It's especially popular in the summers as they are getting their exercise in the air-conditioning and there are water fountains and restrooms available. There are actually "mall walking" clubs down here.

BarryBobPosthole
01-22-2014, 11:22 AM
That's where I've seen them here too.

and I was just in Walmart this past weekend for the first time in a long long time.

Found some very cool lures called a 'money frog' in the dollar box in sporting goods and almost had to poke out my eyes when a fat lady in yoga pants bent over in front of me while I was bent over getting a gallon of RainX.

I was there to get a flash card for my GoPro. Which is usually the way it works in Walmart.

BKB

jb
01-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Our malls are a big attraction for this, open their doors hours before the store opens.
Nice for people who want to walk when it's minus zero outside and everything is snow covered.

Thumper
01-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Just Googled it ... I guess it's more or less a nationwide thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_walking

http://walking.about.com/od/beginners/a/mallwalking.htm

Big Muddy
01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
I dont have a problem with it at malls, where space is open and plentiful.

But, I have a problem with it at a store like Walmart, where the aisles are already jam-packed....you round a blind- corner, and here comes a sweaty 350 pound soccer mom in speedos, swinging her arms.

H3ll, just the sight is enough to make you run for cover into the pharmacy section---specifically, the "prevent gagging" drug aisle. ;)

Buckrub
01-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Just hand 'em a cell phone. EVERYTHING goes into slow motion when they get on the phone, and EVERYONE is on the phone.

Thumper
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I dont have a problem with it at malls, where space is open and plentiful.

But, I have a problem with it at a store like Walmart, where the aisles are already jam-packed....you round a blind- corner, and here comes a sweaty 350 pound soccer mom in speedos, swinging her arms.

H3ll, just the sight is enough to make you run for cover into the pharmacy section---specifically, the "prevent gagging" drug aisle. ;)

Curmudgeon!

Buckrub
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
So many of them here...........hard to be around 'em all sometimes. Course, NONE of 'em admit it (other than me). :moon