PDA

View Full Version : BGE, Primo, or Vision grill

Cards01
01-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Looking for some input and recommendations as I know a few of you have the BGE and at least 1 has a Vision. Trying to make an educated purchase as these appear to be a grill that will last a long time.

BarryBobPosthole
01-23-2014, 06:15 PM
I have a BGE but don't know a thing about the other two. I think I'd look for which one you think you could control the air flow in best. You'll like it I'll bet no matter what you get! there ain't nothing like 'em I've ever seen.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Ditto what Posthole said. I have a BGE. They're spendy, but I have no regrets. One other consideration for me would be the availability of accessories. ("eggcessories"). You may want to compare what's available for the different brands.

Niner
01-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I have a medium BGE, and REALLY like it for smoking and longer "indirect" cooking. My Butts, Ribs, and Chickens are much better than when I was doing them with the Weber. I have done some steaks on it via direct cooking, but direct is a bit of a PITA with this kind of cooker IMHO. For most direct stuff....and for my Smoky Pizzas, I still use the ol' Weber.

I have seen the Primo in action,and it looks like a fine unit too. It SEEMS to have more grill space, but that may just be an optical illusion because of it's oval shape.

I have seen a picture of a BGE knockoff that Academy Sports allegedly carries, but I have not seen one in the store. The picture shows it comes with a cart....for about $500 IIRC.

Cards01
01-24-2014, 09:24 AM
What reasons do you not like it for direct cooking? I currently use a grill almost daily during the warmer months and cook on one at least weekly during the winter. I would like to use one of these ceramics for both. I do realize it probably is not made for doing a quick hotdog grill for a bunch of kids though.

The oval shape of the Primo did draw me to it and the divided firebox so you could do indirect/or 2 different temp zones.

Niner
01-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Just that it seems to take longer to get it ready to go than a "regular" charcoal grill. I will have to say that the steaks I've done on the BGE were better than any steakhouse, and well worth the extra time.

Plus, with mine being a medium size, there's not a lot of grill space for doing a bunch of hot dogs/burgers/brats at one time. I kindof wish I'd held out for a large, but this one was too good of a deal to pass up.

If I didn't have room on my deck for both of them, the Weber would be leaving. I do also have a gas Weber out there too.....it will be finding a new home this spring.

Chicken Dinner
01-24-2014, 10:06 AM
I have a large and don't have any space issues. I will say that I haven't replaced my gas grill and still use it fairly frequently. I probably grill 80-90% of our dinners for 8 or 9 months a year and during the winter it's still 1-2 times a week. When it's something quick like burgers or sausages on a work night, I'll typically just fire up the Weber gas grill as it's just a little more convenient. I will say that steaks and burgers come out much juicier on the BGE than the gas grill. That could be just be some difference in what I'm doing vs. the grill. Who knows?

Cards01
01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the input, appreciate hearing personal experience versus perusing the propaganda on the dealer websites or listening to the sales pitch for each at the stores. It is about time to take the plunge I am sure all will be a good solid grill/smoker. The BGE and Primo lines seem to be about equal in price and available accessories with the vision coming in around 50% of the cost with not as many accessories or the current cult like followings. Warranties is another story altogether.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Just a word on what Niner said about normal 'grilling' on the BGE. I suppose this is likely to be true of about any of the ceramic egg shaped grills. I cooked on a plain old Weber pot grill the entire year before I got my BGE, mainly to wean myself off of gas forever. I did a very stupid thing and bought a big gas unit about 7 years ago at Lowe's. The whole thing disgusted me and the grill was a piece of crap. anyway, I know what Niner means when he says it's easy as pie to set up, fire it up, and get the food going on a 'regular' charcoal grill like a Weber. The Egg is a bit more basic than that. Just little things like there aren't handles on the grill itself. I keep a set of old rusty channel lock pliers by my grill just for lifting off and replacing the grill. Sounds trivial but it is a minor pain in the ass. I think one of the things that is different too is converting over to lump charcoal only, which you'll do with a ceramic grill. It lights differently, burns a little slower and different, and isn't as 'handy' as briquettes. None of that stuff bothers me any more since I have my system down pretty good, but it does take some getting used to. I keep an old pizza stone by the grill too and it works great for indirect heat. I roasted a 22 pound turkey in mine at Thanksgiving and it was the juiciest roasted bird I think I've ever cooked. And it was roasted, maybe just a hint of smoky flavor.
anyway, that's wya more words than you prolly wanted to hear, but it isn't your normal type grilling deal like Niner said.

BKB

Cards01
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Good information.

Chicken Dinner
01-24-2014, 04:33 PM
B & B, they do make the "eggcelerator" to speed up the light times:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/tools-thermometers-and-cleaners/eggcelerator/

I haven't tried it, but it might be cool. I got nothing the grill handle thing. I usually just use my grill tongs. Originally, I thought about buying one of those fans that are hooked up to a remote temperature probe in the grill. But, my grill maintains such a steady temperature I've never bothered.

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
a $500 grill doesn't have a handle?

Niner
01-24-2014, 04:52 PM
My daughter got me one of these grid lifter dealies.....handy as a shirt pocket.

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Oh. On the grill. I thought y'all were saying no handles on the lid.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Hahahaha now that'd be a funny sight getting the lid open. No this is just on the metal grill part. They're too dang hot to pick up anyway without a wrench or something. That tool of Niner's look good but if the grill real hot won't it burn your hands?

BKB

airbud7
01-24-2014, 05:16 PM
For smoking I use a New Braunfels Vertical Smoker

for grilling = converted gas grill, Lol

I do miss my old weber though...

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Charcoal is better for red meat. No doubt.

Mine is a 3 part (Eddie's is like it but a 4 part, he has a fryer)........gas grill, charcoal grill with side smoker chamber for wood, and a heating element for side dishes. I admit, it's easy (especially in winter) to just fire up the gas. I found two steaks for way way off at Kroger yesterday, and I'll grill 'em tonight. But it's four thousand and fifteen below zero and I ain't standing out there the whole time they cook, much less the time it'd take for charcoal to get right. Plus, it's under my carport and the flames char my ceiling. (needs painted anyway, but.......)

But everything is better over charcoal. I always put a small piece of hickory smoking wood on the charcoal, and that really gives meat flavor.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Yep I have an old wheelbarrow full of pecan cut up from ice storm before last (still have a pile) and I throw a chunk in there for the same reason. Doesn't take much.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Lynn does the grilling here (as it should be) and just uses a simple old, Weber. As for getting the charcoal ready, she uses one of those "chimney" thingies and I swear, she can light the charcoal (no lighter fluid needed, just a sheet of newspaper) and by time she goes back inside to grab the meat and takes it back to the pool deck, it's ready to cook. I've never seen anything like it ... it takes just a few minutes from lighting to red coals and we picked it up NEW at an estate sale for $2.00!

One'a these thingies:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDIsLwuP8zesy0U-3TJa5fbWk25gMLhp9cIAJzktilo9hQu2wQ&usqp=CAE

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
It works. A guy at our camp 'invented' and built one of those 30 years ago. He never patented it.

And letting a woman grill? Turn in your man card.

Thumper
01-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Men doing the cooking? Nope ... my man card is safe ... I'm just surprised youse dufes were ever issued one in the first place. Do ya'll wear frilly little aprons also? ;)

Thumper
01-24-2014, 06:11 PM
I just looked at that pic above. It was from a website where they sell the things. Looks to me like they're lighting the charcoal on TOP of the grill! I know it's just for image clarity on a sales site ... but duh!

Thumper
01-24-2014, 06:15 PM
It works. A guy at our camp 'invented' and built one of those 30 years ago. He never patented it.

Bucky, actually we made something very similar when I was in Cub Scouts. Much like this pic except cut out both ends then took a "church key" and punched holes along the bottom on one side and the top on the opposite side. Worked like a charm and that was prolly close to 55 years ago!

http://www.your-camping-guidebook.com/images/charcoal-chimney-smoking-3-large.jpg

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I went to college with a guy that 'invented' these 'fast install' tire chain thingies. He never patented them. They took off for a while, but he probably wouldn't have gotten rich.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine and I invented the word 'doobie'. No shit. 1972.

BKB

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Was in Basic Training with a redheaded guy whose brother invented and made the first "Dipsey Dumpsters". Guess what his name was?

Cards01
01-24-2014, 06:44 PM
dipsey

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Haha....I worked with a guy in Dallas who bought a couple of big flatbed trailers and built really nice big bathrooms with stalls and everything on them. Had a tanker trailer that was a companion trailer. He leased them to the city of Dallas for their outdoor concerts and stuff and made a friggin killing. He had those shitters book every dang weekend. His name was Cooper. We called them Cooper's Poopers when we'd see them at a concert or something. He got caught dumping his tankersin the ditch on a country road and got in a shitload, pun intended, or trouble.

BKB

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 06:51 PM
No. I think it was Dempster. Or something like that. And he was in the family that invented it maybe. Maybe his brother. Or grandfather. Or uncle.

Or something like that.

Probably.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Dempsey maybe?

BKB

Buckrub
01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dempster_Dumpmaster

Huh. Dempster brothers were from Knoxville, TN, and that's where this guy was from..............I am pretty sure after cogitating on it for about 19 seconds, that his name was Dempster. I will look it up in our Basic Training yearbook sometime.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Well, they aren't Dempster Dumpters, they are Dempsey dumpsters.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Yep, it was Dempster ...most people called 'em Dempsey or Dempsty Dumsters though.

Nope ... sorry about the Doobie invention P-hole ... you were a bit late as the Doobie Brothers came along in 1969! :D

Captain
01-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Men doing the cooking? Nope ... my man card is safe ... I'm just surprised youse dufes were ever issued one in the first place. Do ya'll wear frilly little aprons also? ;)

Ditto.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Trav
01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
I gave a vision pro and it has the door for the electric starter and it couldn't be easier. A few years before that I decided to go strictly lump and use a chimney starter and this is way easier. You are welcome to come by and look at it whenever you like Cards

Cards01
01-27-2014, 10:32 AM
thanks for all the input. I looked at both BGE and a Primo this weekend. The BGE seemed to be a little more solidly made and their warranty is lifetime vs 20 years on the primo if that really is a difference. The primo oval shape, the grate sitting up higher, and the split grate did look like a plus for them.

Trav thanks I appreciate the offer and need to try and take a look at it sometime. I did see a plain model vision at Sam's.