PDA

View Full Version : Fer Cryin' Out Loud, Eddie

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 01:07 PM
This is rumored I guess to have been taken in Hernando, Ms. How far is that, and when is your spare bedroom open? I'll even sleep with Sandy.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Gotta be from a high fenced area. They don't grow like that without serious genetics and a lot of protection. At least not in the south they don't. They'd be shot to ragdolls by age 3 in the south.

BKB

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Lots and LOTS of "secret" deer shot in the south. Many people, some I know personally, would NEVER show that deer to anyone outside their home if they shot it. We have deer like that. Send me your cell # and I"ll text you a pic of one from NE Arkansas that you won't believe. My cousin missed it, got its pic on game camera, and his hunting buddy shot it.

Hernando is like, Memphis South.

HideHunter
01-27-2014, 01:38 PM
That is world class stuff no doubt. Look at the freaking brow-tines on that thing.

Big Muddy
01-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Phole, Bucky hit the nail on the head....no telling how many deer, that's LOTS bigger than that one, are killed down here each year, that never see the light of a newspaper, magazine, internet, or DOW report.

A buddy of mine, down at Natchez, sent me a pic about a month ago of a buck killed on an adjoining club's property, that you could set that Hernando buck inside of, and the antlers would never touch each other!!!....the hunter had been watching that buck grow for three years on a wildlife camera....I assure you that club or hunter will NEVER post a pic of that buck....the only reason I got the pic was I had done some work for my buddy down there, and the buck crossed onto his property, before falling dead.

We've got some of the best genetics and nutrition in the entire nation....all that's needed is a little more age on the deer....and, each year, more and more clubs and landowners are realizing that, and are getting more restrictive on the bucks taken off their property.

Catfish Point, one of the most elite and expensive hunting clubs on the Mississippi River(over 15,000 acres---nearly $500,000 to join), just last month implemented one of the most intense deer management programs that I've ever heard of around here.

The biologists/consultants from the DOW had them kill every 8 point and smaller buck on their property....and, will implement some sort of restriction on the surviving trophy buck herd for next year....there's no telling what size bucks they will be seeing in 2-3 years!!!

Hahaha!!!!....I would NEVER allow you to corrupt my Sandy dog !!!! ;););)

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
That's pretty amazing.

BKB

Thumper
01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Edward, I think I'd tell someone to pack sand where the sun don't shine if I paid $500,000 for a membership and was told I can only shoot 8-points or smaller!

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Jackson Point, Brandywine............lots of places that kill exceptional bucks. Not a ton of 'em, but good Southern deer hunters do NOT want to be the cover story in a magazine that might end up with hunting restrictions, more yankees vying for our deer, etc. SSS................shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Not that we are the Mecca of big deer, or that we have as many B&C's as Wisonsin or IA or KS or whatever..........we don't. But we have a lot of good deer too.

Now, we ALSO have the other kind of Southern Hunter..........the ones that love to show off. Here's some of the ones that like to compete, from the last few years:

http://www.bigbuckclassic.com/#!vstc0=media

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 02:32 PM
I don't really appreciate those bucks that grow up behind high fences. The Texans, being the Texans they are, have taken it way way too far. The Kansans is who have it somewhat figured out. That state has more big bucks than is imagineable. and its hard to know why.

BKB

Thumper
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Ummmm, one word .... CORN! ;)

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Here's a pic of the deer my cousin missed in ML season of 2011, a trail cam pic. He missed it the next week or so.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Hunting%20Album/trailcambigbuck_zps52ce48b5.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Hunting%20Album/trailcambigbuck_zps52ce48b5.jpeg.html)

Right after Christmas hunt, his buddy killed it with a bow. Here it is on the ground:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Hunting%20Album/Gleghorn-20120126_zps9b88f78f.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Hunting%20Album/Gleghorn-20120126_zps9b88f78f.jpeg.html)

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
No. there isn't one word that works. We have tons of corn too. Corn doesn't give them what they need for antlers. It helps make bigger bodies, but only helps. It takes fertile soil, and other food sources, and the right nutrients, and AGE.

Thumper
01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's FOUR words: High Fructose Corn Syrup? :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
We have big deer in northern Oklahoma and the further west you go, the bigger the deer get. We also have much of the same agriculture in our northern and western tier that Kansas does. Yet.....there aren't nearly as many big deer in Oklahoma across very similar terrain and food availability as there are in Kansas. they just have some monsters up there. And I don't think its their game laws either. They've had ground checking as a rule for a long time, and they've also got their fair share of poachers. They did have a time where only residents could deer hunt but that was changed several years ago when neighboring states threatened to not allow Kansas residents to hunt in their states without reciprocity. Its a conundrum. But it's true.
Maybe it's Bill Self.

BKB

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
HAHAHA

Maybe!

Also, although the FEW humongous, truly monster deer come from the rich delta of SE Arkansas, if you want to measure average body size, the mountainous north wins hands down. Nothing up there but rocks, hills, a few cows, strawberries, and trout. Yet the deer, though fewer in density, are huge compared to the rabbits that I hunt down south AR.

Thumper
01-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Buckster, this has been MY experience. I've hunted in Ohio for many years. The area where my buddy lives is old mined out coal strip mines. There's nothing but scrub, TONS of briers and trees. They have some pretty decent deer, only (I think) because the woods are so thick, they have plenty of cover and can live a few years. There are MONSTERS taken every year up there, but the big boys always come from the (corn) farming counties.

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Good agri areas close by helps, no doubt.