PDA

View Full Version : Packing

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 03:49 PM
OK, it is time for the annual "Wheely Mudfest, Hog Hunt, and Extreme Eating Extravaganza" next weekend. Due to a quirk in the calendar, February 1st actually comes on the first day of February this year, and happens to be on a weekend for some odd reason, and thus the convergence of these odd phenomena results in the First Weekend in February actually starting in January.

Least that's what the Head Honcho of this thing said. I said "Duh, ok".

He and I will leave Wed morning and spend Wed/Thurs/Fri down there.......I don't know what we'll do. I have more bullcrap to carry in than the law allows........remember this is 1 mile OFF of the parking lot, through mud, so whatever you can carry is what you take. He has his bed there, but I don't, so I have to take sleeping bag, pillow, etc. And since we are in YET ANOTHER FLIPPING POLAR VORTEX I have to take my Big Britches too. Plus a Hog gun, a coyote gun, a squirrel gun, a crow gun, and maybe my deer huntin' crossbow (though I am doing my best to talk him out of that big bulky thing, we ain't gonna deer hunt I bet). AND all the accoutrements and ammo for the above. Plus all the food we will need till Friday, plus cokes, plus gasoline, plus.........

sigh.

I am trying to pack now. I started yesterday afternoon. The trouble is, I have the Heartbreak of Senility and Psoriasis, and thus I can not remember today what is in that big old suitcase that I packed yesterday. I guess, sigh, I'm going to have to break out my actual list and start crossing stuff off. That seems like cheating, but hey.

He says the water is way up down there, unlike the rest of the state which has burn bans it's so dry, so everything I own will be wet in about 12 hours...........

Wagons, HO!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 03:52 PM
sounds like y'all need an air drop.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I once saw Carny and another big ol' boy about twice his size, three dead deer, and two climbers come up over and down a mountain all on one four wheeler. After I saw that, I just pile whatever I need as high as it needs to go and don't worry about it.

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Two words.

Ratchet
Straps

hotshot
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Just be careful, I have burried 3-4 students and very close friend over the last 5 years from 4-wheeler accidents.

Thumper
01-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Sounds like fun Buckster. I'm jealous.

BTW ... I HATE the ratchet style tie-down straps. This is the ONLY type I'll use. Learned it a long time ago in my motorcycle racing days.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/75/10128075.jpg?is=500,500

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
I HATE those worthless things. Ratchets are the only way I'll go! :)

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Thump I have those type for the tie downs on my boat trailer if that's the same thing. You adjust them to about the right length to get them connected and then the lever tightens them down real good? I like 'em if that's what they are.

BKB

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 09:03 PM
They won't hold a heavy load. Ratchet straps will.

BarryBobPosthole
01-27-2014, 09:08 PM
What on earth are you packing?

BKB

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 09:18 PM
I have to get my ice chests, sleeping bag, clothes bag, guns, ammo, boots, food, yada yada, on a four wheeler, through 9/10 of a mile of pure mud to get to this camp.

And it's only going to be five hundred below zero. So that means BIG clothes.

Big Muddy
01-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Two words....Small Trailer.
You're welcome. ;)

Buckrub
01-27-2014, 10:01 PM
You're spoiling my theatrics, goober. I've got 'em thinking I have to pack it all in on the wheely.

Yeah, we usually unload the wheelies, then the trailer, and connect to it............still it's a mess to get through to get to camp, but yeah.....it's easier in a trailer of course.:occasion

and no, I don't know what that emoticon means, but I thought it was cool.

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 12:30 AM
If it's that cold, the mud should freeze.

Thumper
01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Not sure Postie ... it actually sounds like you're describing ratchets. Bucky, a couple of my big gripes is they sometimes get twisted and the strap jambs the mechanism. Plus you have that humongous ratchet assembly that gets in the way if you're in tight quarters and don't have plenty of clearance to operate the ratchet. I've used both extensively and have learned to hate the ratchet type. It's really just another Toyota/Chevy type argument ... so I'm right and you're wrong. :toothy

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2014, 09:54 AM
I was with you on the Sprite issue, but have no use for the ratchet straps. All I use are the ones like Jim mentioend.

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
No, I know what a ratchet strap is. The kind of strap I'm talking about has a clamp device that shortens the strap (thus it tightens) when you shut it. A friggin' tie down strap is what it is. At least that's what's pictured.

BKB

Thumper
01-28-2014, 10:27 AM
I guess your description threw me a bit P-hole. I guess it's sort of a lever, but you don't really use it as a "lever" per se. You simply pull the strap to tighten everything up (it's spring loaded so you don't have to "shut it") and push the little "lever thingy" to release it. Easy-peasy and no jacking around with big ol' crank type ratchet assemblies that jamb and take a foot of clearance to adjust. I hate 'em (ratchets) personally and threw away every one I had.

Ya' know Postie ... after looking at the pic I posted, those may be a little different and more like what you're describing. If so, I actually haven't seen those. (I haven't bought new ones in years as I have tons of them). Is that a new design? Looks like you pull the strap tight then manually flip the lever down to hold it all in place. (??) If so, the ones I use are similar but a little different.

This might be a better view: The first pic is what I use, the second pic (from above) looks a little different at the latch and more like your description. Not sure. (?)

http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/ekmps/shops/andyhutch/images/tie-down-pull-straps-for-motocross-bikes-twin-pack-257-p.jpg http://assets.academy.com/mgen/75/10128075.jpg?is=500,500

Buckrub
01-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Ah. You have Joe ******* Syndrome! (My buddy at camp).

Here's what you do, and you'll NEVER have another issue with ratchet straps. It's very easy.

A) Separate the two parts entirely.
B) CLOSE the ratchet entirely.
C) Put the loose/tag end through the short ratchet side, top down. DO NOT RATCHET ANY!
D) Put each end into its fixed connection, whatever it is.
E) Most important step. PULL TIGHT ON THE LOOSE END UNTIL VERY VERY TIGHT.
F) Only now, do you ratchet.

The key, the trick, to not balling up the loose end and making ratcheting hard, and making unratcheting even harder, is to get the loose end VERY tight first, which in turn allows the very MINIMUM length of loose/tag end to be ratcheted. If you are ratcheting more than about 10 clicks, it's not tight enough and it'll be hard to undo.

Yeah, the ones you picture are easier. So is a bungee cord. But MAYHEM WILL ENSUE if you use 'em. Don't believe me? Go walk down the aisle at Lowe's and look at the ratings on ratchet straps and these things, cause they are sold side by side. Now come tell me that these do as well on heavy loads.

Big Muddy
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Use a couple of come-alongs, and NOTHING moves.

Plus, they can do double-duty to winch an atv or a really fat guy outta the mud. ;)

Thumper
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Buckster, as for load capacities, there are "apples and oranges". I have some flimsy ones that have a load capacity of 1100 lbs (maybe 1200?) and I have heavier ones with a 2500 lb. load capacity. The same goes for ratchet straps. I'm talking normal utility use anyway ... I mean, crap, if you look and flatbed 18-wheelers going down the highway, they'll have huge ratchet straps (I have a few in my garage). I'm talking about ease of use and general utility work. You may haul a lot of junk, but you ain't hauling bulldozers or steam-rollers! It's a personal preference ... I've used both extensively and can't stand the ratchets. Like I said earlier ... Toyota OVER Chevy! :D

Buckrub
01-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Chevy.

Thumper
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
TOYOTA! ;)